307cc - yet another gear knob/lever question with a twist (pun intended)
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 307cc - yet another gear knob/lever question with a twist (pun intended)

Greetings,

I recently acquired a 2004 307cc 5sp manual, and am enjoying the car very much.
    One minor issue however, is that the original gear knob on the shifter has been replaced with a Peugeot-logo sports gear knob by the previous owner, and it spins around.
    After having read different forum posts, it appears the knob can be replaced by pulling it with strong force and replace it with another, provided that the white plastic sleeve covering the gear lever remains in place.

I am suspecting that the plastic sleeve might have been removed from the gear lever, causing the knob to spin around.

Does anyone know if that white plastic sleeve can be purchased if it has been removed?

If there are any 307 owners who replaced gear knobs, please feel free to advise too, thanks!

dartagnon

Advertisement

Is there anything else wrong, or is it just the spinny knob which annoys?

If it's just annoyance, I'd suggest an industrial adhesive, like Anchor-Fix, Belzona or Devcon and line it up neatly/quickly to set overnight. Polyurethanes are bit flexy and sloppy in these applications, superglue a bit brittle, and stuff like retail grade Araldite too feeble.

Fellow Frogger!

Just a thought because Ive seen in other cars, under the logo is an circlip - try get a blunt knife blade and carefully remove the logo off and see what is behind it.
    Ive pulled the gear stick knob before on 307 - I did admit I was scared of breaking something but nah - you really need to pull hard make sure your face is away from it!!
    Cheers
    AP

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Is there anything else wrong, or is it just the spinny knob which annoys?
    Hi addo,
    Thanks for the reply, I admit that it is more of an annoyance at this stage - but I would like to fix it back to the factory if possible.
    I think I can source the original knob but just not too sure how to go about the loose fit, without glueing it permanently. Appreciate the suggestion of industrial strength glues, but what if I get tired of the knob afterwards...

Quote Originally Posted by AlpineRaven View Post
    Just a thought because Ive seen in other cars, under the logo is an circlip - try get a blunt knife blade and carefully remove the logo off and see what is behind it.
    Thanks AP for your comments,
    I suspect it won't be too difficult to get it off, because it is very loose and spins around - so I am guessing it will just lift off easily. Just trying to figure out what happens next if I were to put a different knob back on, I think that will spin around too without the plastic sleeve over the gear lever.

Tadpole

Maybe I worry too much. Looks like the current knob is just sitting on top of the lever and it came off when I lifted it - and I could touch a cable tie underneath the cover, and also a shape on the lever like the plastic sleeve I saw on the web.
    I think I should just take the plunge and open it up once I get the original knob. Hopefully it will just fit ! The worst that can happen is I rollback to the current setup. Will update if/when I get the original knob.

Tadpole

Happy to report back that I sourced the original knob and it fit perfectly to the lever underneath - so it is all good and no more spinning knob.
    The now-removed third party knob was probably designed for a different type of lever, with a small allen-key screw towards the bottom. The screw became visible only after cutting the cable-tie underneath.

Thread Information