1993 London to Sydney
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GRAHAM WALLIS

Thread: 1993 London to Sydney

Tadpole

Default 1993 London to Sydney

I am trying to trace a couple of guys who were in a 404 in the 1993 LtoS.
    The navigators name was David Jones ( Welsh of course)
    The drivers name was (the memory is a bit fuzzy) Paddy Kirkpatric John Fitzpatric etc. He was the editor of the Castrol Trade Journal in Dublin ( he is Irish) you would never guess!
    Long story but we welded up the Torque tube at about 2 am at a farm near Omeo cooked them a BBQ and lots of hot coffee we were just out of the snow line.
    The Irish guy sent me an article about our meeting he wrote in the Castrol Journal and a few Xmas cards,all of which have gone to lost land.
    I have tried to find their names on entry lists etc with no success .
    They did finish the event I remember.
    I was wondering if anyone can confirm their address etc or where I might try. I have tried the Castrol trade journal mentioned with no success.

Any suggestions?

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Google tells me that Paddy McClintock of Ireland drove a Peugeot 404.
    Last edited by seasink; 4th March 2015 at 04:01 PM. Reason: sp

VIP Sponsor

It was supposed to be the original car from 1968.

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    And according to the programme, the navigator was David Dunn, Peugeot 404, Car 9. It completed the event in 56th place, with cumulative time penalties of 28 hours, 37 minutes and 14 seconds. Not bad compared to the winner Francis Tuthill/Anthony Showel Porsche 911 with 13/36/11.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

VIP Sponsor

I remember it had a noisy exhaust when it arrived at our control at the start of Nunniong Road, south of Omeo.

The other 404 was from Holland, they had gone to the trouble of using drum brakes to keep it original to stay in the rules.
    Then they fitted a 2 litre 504 Ti engine!
    What's more they used the all steel sump, which doesn't clear the cross member in a 404, it was getting a good thumping, probably the owners spent an absolute fortune getting it prepared by the "experts".
    Interestingly they had 5 stud wheels, may or may not have been original. Fitted to the rear on a standard looking diff assembly, so not stock ute or wagon stuff.

I had met up with Dave Horsey, 504 driver from Kenya in Wangaratta the night before, he was busy changing the internals from a replacement gearbox to his housing, once again to stay within the rules. He was driving a 504 and breaking 3rd gear, common in BA7 boxes, cost him the chance of a good place. He was scathing of another entrant who not only fitted a BA10 but a BA10/5!
    Both the Kenyan 504s had blitzed the stage across the Nullabor with the 1st and 2nd fastest times overall.
    Mike Kirkland placed 3rd outright at the finish in his 504.
    They were using 504 ute struts with stock OE Peugeot made shockers.
    Last edited by GRAHAM WALLIS; 4th March 2015 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    The other 404 was from Holland, they had gone to the trouble of using drum brakes to keep it original to stay in the rules.
    Then they fitted a 2 litre 504 Ti engine!
    What's more they used the all steel sump, which doesn't clear the cross member in a 404, it was getting a good thumping, probably the owners spent an absolute fortune getting it prepared by the "experts".
    Interestingly they had 5 stud wheels, may or may not have been original. Fitted to the rear on a standard looking diff assembly, so not stock ute or wagon stuff.
    That particular car had a lot of work carried out on the rear end at the Port Augusta stop. Apparently it was a very early model car. One of the helpers/spectators travelled back to Adelaide in order to find the parts, and returned before the start the next day to get it going.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

I don't suppose anyone would have the VINs of these 404s....
    1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection post-restoration reassembly underway!
    Register your 404: https://recensement.leclub404.com/submit.php

VIP Sponsor

Dave Horsey went to great trouble and expense to source his gearbox from a wrecker in Sydney. If only I had known I could have delivered one to Wangaratta for free!
    The Dutch 404 had very large drums, probably the thermostable set up, so they weren't original as the very early cars had 403 brakes.
    Thinking I may have been wrong re retaining the drums for eligibility reasons as they may have been all that was available. I don't think the discs were that common in Europe, they would have all been buying 504s by the time the discs came out in 404s.

Sorry Mike, no idea of numbers, bit of a long shot but worth asking I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    That particular car had a lot of work carried out on the rear end at the Port Augusta stop. Apparently it was a very early model car. One of the helpers/spectators travelled back to Adelaide in order to find the parts, and returned before the start the next day to get it going.

Tadpole

Thanks Guys
    Just goes to show memory has gone to mush.
    I would be surprised if it was the original car from the look of the underneath, but obviously I have been before.
    They were a couple of guys who were really into the spirit of the event. Good memories.
    Paddy introduced David with a very broad Welsh accent, as "David Jones" (my son remembers that).
    David had built the car from scratch. I think Paddy came with Castrol $s
    I am going to try and find these guys and get in touch . I will report the outcome.

VIP Sponsor

It was being claimed it was the original, maybe it had been reshelled as so many "original" competition cars are.
    Good example is Moffats Mustang, the only original thing is the roof, this was stated in an Auto Action article back in the 1970s.

Quote Originally Posted by Barney View Post
    Thanks Guys
    Just goes to show memory has gone to mush.
    I would be surprised if it was the original car from the look of the underneath, but obviously I have been before.
    They were a couple of guys who were really into the spirit of the event. Good memories.
    Paddy introduced David with a very broad Welsh accent, as "David Jones" (my son remembers that).
    David had built the car from scratch. I think Paddy came with Castrol $s
    I am going to try and find these guys and get in touch . I will report the outcome.

Tadpole

I received a reply from Ron Jackson (He took over TWR) after Nick died. He could not help , Tried Castrol IRL no success .
    Any other suggestions?

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I wonder why they didn't just use an early ID19 ..... there mechanically near indestructible ..... and are unbeatable in these types of long distance difficult events.... bog standard, she'll be right, it'll outbrake and out handle everything when the going gets tough

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

VIP Sponsor

Because it was rerun of the original 1968 event and the 404 was reputed to be the original Kentredder entered car.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    I wonder why they didn't just use an early ID19 ..... there mechanically near indestructible ..... and are unbeatable in these types of long distance difficult events.... bog standard, she'll be right, it'll outbrake and out handle everything when the going gets tough

seeya,
    Shane L.

Fellow Frogger!

Because it was rerun of the original 1968 event and the 404 was reputed to be the original Kentredder entered car.
    Was that the car that was said to have done the trip on re treads?

VIP Sponsor

Yes, nothing wrong with retreads, we did the Repco Trial in 1979 on Bandag retreads without a single puncture, including the notorious Nullarbor section from Watson on the railway line to Nullarbor Roadhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by bahay View Post
    Was that the car that was said to have done the trip on re treads?
    Kim Luck likes this.

Back then 80% of road freight was carried on retreads around Australia. Nothing wrong with Bandags!
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Fellow Frogger!

Yes, nothing wrong with retreads, we did the Repco Trial in 1979 on Bandag retreads without a single puncture, including the notorious Nullarbor section from Watson on the railway line to Nullarbor Roadhouse.
    I recall that particular 404 did the whole London - Sydney without a puncture on their re-treads.

Some of the grippiest tyres I ever experienced were retreaded XzX's on a 403 wagon.

Tadpole

Sorry to say my search has been fruitless, not sure where "Band Aides" got a mention! That was their name in the transport industry, have you noticed there are a lot less thrown treads these days. But someone made a $ !

VIP Sponsor

I have just sent an email to get the address of a guy in Ireland who may know.

Tadpole

Thanks for your trouble,will keep fingers crossed.

Thread Information