Faulty replacement fuel filter?
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Faulty replacement fuel filter?

I tried to change the fuel filter on my 207 HDi with a genuine Purflux FCS710 but I was unable to get the car started after changing it. After trying to prime it again several times and checking that all the leads were connected without luck, I decided to take the whole thing out and found that the filter was barely filled with diesel. Having never changed a fuel filter before (I followed a guide online) I decided to cut my losses and just reinstall the old filter. The car started up after putting the old filter in, and I could feel the fuel actually flowing while I primed it (couldn't really feel this with the new filter).

Just wondering now if I was doing something wrong when installing it or if the filter itself could be faulty?

I used these guides as reference (taking off the air intake pipes instead of the battery):
    Servicing Peugeot Partner Combi
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZszwDwafrBw

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Did you prime the system properly?
    I know with the Focus, which has the Pug diesel in it, it took ages to prime with a dry/new filter.
    Last edited by 85Fuego; 2nd March 2015 at 09:45 PM.

Tadpole

Well, I tried to prime it several times, pumping it until it tightened a little but I never felt the actual fuel flowing unlike when I put the old filter back in and primed it. Should I just prefill the filter with diesel and try again?

Fellow Frogger! young 4 old pug's Avatar

1.6HDi are a pain in the preverbial to bleed up....

Most systems put the primer bulb between the tank and fuel filter. But no, they give you a pathetic plastic bulb and put it AFTER the fuel filter. So while you a pumping away all you are doing is stretching out the air is ideal the empty fuel filter...

When servicing these 1.6HDis I have a bottle of diesel with me to fill the new filter on the bench before installing it into the car and then bleeding it for a few minutes via the breather pipe (which is automatic - there is no bleed nipple after the primer bulb) until the bulb feels right.
    Current stash
    too many.

Passed over stash
    lots.

Thread Information