Sticking accelerator - 504 floor hinge
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By callipygous

Thread: Sticking accelerator - 504 floor hinge

Default Sticking accelerator - 504 floor hinge

I've been struggling with the issue of a sticking accelerator cable in my '74 Peugeot 504 for a long time now. Every time I fix it, it comes back with a vegance after a brief interim. The throttle cable is new and lubricated with no kinks in it. With the throttle cable disconnected from the carburettors they snap shut with no impediance. The only thing left to point my finger at is the oft criticised floor hinged accelerator pedal.

So my question is, how do I go about updating the pedal with the newer type? How likely is this going to fix my woes?

Advertisement
    Peugeot 504 Intercooled T04 Turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by callipygous View Post
    I've been struggling with the issue of a sticking accelerator cable in my '74 Peugeot 504 for a long time now. Every time I fix it, it comes back with a vegance after a brief interim. The throttle cable is new and lubricated with no kinks in it. With the throttle cable disconnected from the carburettors they snap shut with no impediance. The only thing left to point my finger at is the oft criticised floor hinged accelerator pedal.

So my question is, how do I go about updating the pedal with the newer type? How likely is this going to fix my woes?
    Not going to work, mate.

You'll never get the pedal-to-metal if replace it.

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

Replace with pendant pedal and mounting bracket. Easy.
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

Have you tried lubricating the accelerator pedal fulcrum joint?

Yeah, tried pretty much everything. The whole assembly is well lubed.

Hmm. In the past, replacing the cable, making sure the carby shaft isn't worn and the spring is correctly tensioned, checking the firewall grommet and taking apart and greasing the pedal fulcrum, has always resolved this problem. Talking about the grommet, have you checked it?

The problem may not be the cable or pedal , it may be the carby shaft or if your car has a turbo setup it may be the throttle icing up in cold weather .I had this problem with SU carb with a turbo in the seventies .

Just to reiterate:

Quote Originally Posted by callipygous View Post
    The throttle cable is new and lubricated with no kinks in it. With the throttle cable disconnected from the carburettors they snap shut with no impedance.
    So it's definitely not the carb, I've had the cable off recently and it does snap shut with real vigour. Good tension on the spring etc.

In regards to the grommet, this has been replaced in the last year. It was in poor condition and falling apart, didn't resolve the problem, however.

In regards to the carby icing up, I ask, what cold weather?

1000+ Posts

I still reckon it's likely to be the fulcrum joint. I had this problem with my 504, and wasn't able to physically fix it myself, but I'm certain this was the cause. It's really difficult to get at. I've passed the problem onto the new owner, who is more dexterous than I am,
    1998 Peugeot 406 D8SV Manual
    1999 Peugeot 406 D8ST Auto
    2002 Peugeot 406 D9SV Manual
    1994 Peuegot 306 N3 Cabriolet Manual
    1994 Peugeot 306 XR N3 Hatch
    1995 Peugeot 505 GTI executive
    1976 Peugeot 504 Sedan - Now sold

Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

Quote Originally Posted by pugnut1 View Post
    I still reckon it's likely to be the fulcrum joint. I had this problem with my 504, and wasn't able to physically fix it myself, but I'm certain this was the cause. It's really difficult to get at. I've passed the problem onto the new owner, who is more dexterous than I am,
    The only way I've been able to successfully lubricate the fulcrum joint has been to undo the 17mm nut on the left hand side of the shaft and remove the shaft allowing thorough cleaning and greasing with LMM grease of the pivot.

I replaced the pedal and cable with one from an xd or XE falcon.
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

Replacing the pedal will fix your woes. I've had three 504s in which the plastic at the back of the pedal wears, and the pedal has a tendency to stick in the "down" position.....not something you want at all.

I did the same as Shobbz....but I left everything the same....just welded a new pedal on to the shaft. I think I joined the two about half-way up the shaft.

Another time I fitted a pedal and shaft from a late model 504 (or it may have been a 505).

Okay, thanks all. New pedal should be arriving tomorrow. Will let you know how it goes.

Turns out the fulcrum joint was dry, even though it had been recently lubed with lanotec...This time moly grease was applied. It should last longer. Still sticking, however. Found that the main source of the problem was my 45 degree metal elbow that the cable feeds through to the carbs. Stuck a bunch of grease in there, and now it seems to be silky smooth. Horray for an easy fix. Will have to keep an eye on this.
    FedGrapes likes this.

You'll still have a worn plastic cage at the back. Somehow it eventually tends to stick in the down position. The later design was better.

Thread Information