• 1 Post By Peter Chisholm
  • 1 Post By robmac
  • 1 Post By BIGRR
  • 1 Post By guskenny83
  • 1 Post By guskenny83
  • 1 Post By Barney

Thread: 504 gearbox dead

Default 504 gearbox dead

I was driving my '79 504 GL to work today and when i went to change into first from neutral it just wouldn't.

Advertisement

the gear wouldn't engage and the gearstick seems to have full range of motion instead of its normally restricted movement to the gear positions.

I was running late so pushed it to a side street in northcote and will go back to it tomorrow after lunch.

Does anyone have any idea as to what might be the problem, is there anything i can do as a quick fix so i can get it home/to a mechanic or should i just call the racv and get it towed somewhere?

With a bit of luck, the problem is one that of the selector rods has come off, or broken. At worst, a problem inside the gearbox.
    addo likes this.

If you are lucky a gear linkage has fallen off. Can be checked from under the car if you are skinny, but easier on a jack and stands.

Take a pair of pliers and some medium duty (steel or copper) wire with you to tie the linkage on as a temporary fix.

It's a common problem.
    okalford likes this.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    If you are lucky a gear linkage has fallen off. Can be checked from under the car if you are skinny, but easier on a jack and stands.

Take a pair of pliers and some medium duty (steel or copper) wire with you to tie the linkage on as a temporary fix.

It's a common problem.
    I agree - may not be a gearbox problem at all - here's hoping
    1998 Peugeot 406 D8SV Manual
    1999 Peugeot 406 D8ST Auto
    2002 Peugeot 406 D9SV Manual
    1994 Peuegot 306 N3 Cabriolet Manual
    1994 Peugeot 306 XR N3 Hatch
    1995 Peugeot 505 GTI executive
    1976 Peugeot 504 Sedan - Now sold

Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

If you can manage to push it up onto a gutter somehow it will make it easier.

Once had the same thing happen in a Fuego, but mine let got on the 1-2 shift. Was lucky to keep enough momentum and lucky enough there was free access to the kerb on Victoria St Collingwood that I could park it with one front wheel on the gutter.

As luck would have it I had parked outside a florist, and being the true romantic I am I knew that Gerbera stem wire would be perfect. My girlfriend got droopy Gerberas, but I was able to wire up the linkage well enough to get me home

Cable ties would be a good thing to take with though when you go back to the car.

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

Cable ties + insulation tape works well!
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

Peugeot owners should always carry a nice ductile wire coat hanger (or two) in their tool kit!
    bluemoon likes this.
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

Thanks for all the advice. Ill go back tomorrow and fingers crossed its just the linkage..
    bluemoon likes this.

I went back today and had a look and it was indeed the linkage

i wrapped a couple of cable ties around it and gingerly drove home.. that was a nerve wracking experience i can tell you..

now, obviously i dont want to drive around with cable ties holding my car together, what should i do to go about fixing it? how does the linkage stay on the ball? it just seems to slip on and off.. do i need to get a new linkage? or can i use the one that is there?

also, as can be seen in the picture it appears to be rubbing on the part next to it.. is that arm bent too far or something?

anyway, thanks a lot for all your help, its back at home now so at least i dont have to worry about that..

cheers
    gus
    Mike Tippett likes this.

It happened to me about ten years ago. The sockets in the rod are lined with some sort of plastic which is a snap fit when new but flogs out over the years. I was able to get a new replacement but I don't know if they are still available. You could try re-lining the socket with some flexible but hard-wearing material (duct tape?) so that it snaps back on the ball but I cannot see that being a long-lasting solution. As suggested above, carry some cable ties (and an old sheet to lay on).
    Stephen
    '03 P406 HDI
    '16 Renault Master

You may be able to buy a new rod from Lewin at Peugeotspares in Queensland. phone 07 3353 4448, as far as the rubbing goes, I suspect the lever has been bent at some stage and needs straightening, but people more familiar with 504's should be able to confirm this
    Regards
    Neil

It looks like the ball has been moved up? Or is that where they are originally and were then moved down for a shorter shift?
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

also, as can be seen in the picture it appears to be rubbing on the part next to it.. is that arm bent too far or something?

I'd suspect wear in the pivot assembly of the remote shift assembly.

Normally if there is wear in the N-S movement pivot bush the gear lever will exhibit a rattling noise whilst in neutral.

The bushes are nylon with a flange. They used to be available as a spare part. I recall you had to grid off a weld to replace them? I've forgotten the exact details.

Of course the marks could just be over-travel due to worn linkages.

1000+ Posts

If you cant get a replacement rod from Lewin, you can fill the cup with silicone, put it back in place and let it set for 24 hours (or min overnight). Should last for 2-3 years.
    1998 Peugeot 406 D8SV Manual
    1999 Peugeot 406 D8ST Auto
    2002 Peugeot 406 D9SV Manual
    1994 Peuegot 306 N3 Cabriolet Manual
    1994 Peugeot 306 XR N3 Hatch
    1995 Peugeot 505 GTI executive
    1976 Peugeot 504 Sedan - Now sold

Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

Try Pugwreck in Bayswater .I got a new one not that long ago .Ring Hayden on 9720 7521 [usually answers in afternoon only]

I had a look on Franzose website and they have repair kits for 504 pickup [probably 5 speed ]and for 4speed which doesn't appear to include the long rod that you need ,but has the short adjustable rod and rubber bushes for the top part

Thanks for the help. So the general consensus is that i should replace the rod then? It doesnt look too bad, apart from being dirty and a bit rusty. It didnt break, just came off the ball, or is it coming off a sign that its no good anymore?

Thanks again

It's no good anymore.

It's a ball and socket just like your shoulder joint. There is a plastic part inside which keeps it tight around the ball. Usually you can pop the whole thing off or on with a little leverage needed.

The plastic bit is worn out.

I agree, the long rod is no good and needs replacing. I haven't bought one for years but would be surprised if they are hard to obtain.

However, there's something else happening. That score mark on the torque tube obviously isn't meant to be there. As Rob said, there could be too much sideways travel in the gear lever. Unless the nuts attaching the gear lever mechanism to the torque tube mount have come loose, the most likely cause is a worn gear lever fulcrum bush.

The ball looks as though it's been relocated as I can't remember seeing one that far along the shaft, particularly with the adjacent hole.

Tadpole

This is a way too late but this is a way better permanant cure. Check your rear engine gearbox mount its either broken or old, that will stop the gouge getting worse. Then go down to your local "rose joint store" bearing service etc, buy yourself a nice teflon lined rose joint with either a tread on the shaft or a hollow end, because your shift rod will be VERY hard you may be better cutting the end off the shaft and welding a grade 8 bolt on the end to fit your rose joint. When you buy your rose joint buy the 2 little spacers that go either side of the ball in the joint then just bolt the whole thing up and you van adjust your rose joint to the correct length, it wont vibrate rattle ,it will be better than a bought one. You could do the other one as well ,it is not a big job.
    Trinity likes this.

Thread Information