Fluid in footwell-306
  • Register
  • Help

Icon7 Fluid in footwell-306

I have a recently purchased 99, 306 xsi with low mileage. Took it for a 100km run today and discovered a big puddle in the driver's footwell some hours after garaging. Mopped up about half a litre of dirty brown liquid. The coolant in the radiator is green. Car was not running hot. I am assuming this would have been in the heater matrix. Where do I start to fix? I am assuming its a difficult job...replacing the heater and hoses? Advice appreciated...I smell dollars plus?
    Mike

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Someone with more knowledge than me will chime in, but I think it's a most of the dashboard out job?

Beware!
    Open the bonnet and have a look at were the wiper motor sits. (looks like a recessed compartment that is separated from the rest of the aria along the firewall)
    You will notice that the main wiring loom runs through a special baffle thingy in the firewall under the wiper motor. What you can't see is there is a small drain in the bottom to allow storm water to drain away into the wheel arch that can easily get blocked by leaves and other rubbish.
    When it gets blocked the compartment will fill with water and run into the drivers footwell through the wiring loom thing. especially when the car is not moving like overnight in the rain.

I know this might not be the problem, but best to check because that's a lot easier then removing the heater core. (especially if there is nothing wrong with it. you'd be kicking yourself)

Best of luck.

As above check both sides clean then hose out until drains run freely.

The other problem areas to check are the drain holes in bottom of doiors and if the car has a sunroof it may be drain tubes are also blocked..

Fellow Frogger!

On the grounds that the heater core is connected to the coolant system my thinking is that it also would contain green coolant.!! So, the brown looks most likely to be from elsewhere and the heater core job is not necessary - your lucky day.

Thank you! It was blocked drain under the wiper motor. Car had been parked under trees in its previous life. Will watch it in future. The inner guard is close to the drain so easy for material to build up. I and my pocket are relieved! Aussiefrogs is always the answer!

Unfortunately 306s are notorious for the heater matrix leaking. When it finally does, the thing to do is block off the heater hoses in the engine bay. Taking the dashboard out is too time-consuming and expensive. Lots of European cars of the same era had same prob.

Very lucky it wasn't your heater core. I have changed mine recently, but knowing what I know now I won't be doing it again
    1994 306 S16 Diablo Red
    2007 307 HDI 1.6 Wagon
    2005 Clio 182 F1 #29

Thread Information