406 STDT fuel starvation?
  • Register
  • Help
    WLB

Default 406 STDT fuel starvation?

My son has been driving our 1998 406 STDT, as his own, since getting his licence 2 years ago. I've reverted to my old faithful workhorse, the 1987 Range Rover. (Alas my trusty 1983 505 still sits in the shed awaiting a restoration).

On Friday, my son said the the 406 struggled up a long hill on his way into town that morning. It's not particularly steep; but it's a long steady climb up an essentially straight piece of good bitumen road. It usually goes up in top at 100kph without trouble. I've driven that stretch of road in that car for some years. He said that as he climbed, the car just kept losing speed and he kept dropping it back a gear in an attempt to keep going. Eventually he had to pull over and stop to let others past. He limped into town, but it didn't seem to be quite as bad on the return home that night, on the other hills.

We looked at it that night and couldn't find anything obvious. It behaved normally when revving it in neutral. So on Saturday morning we went for a drive, half expecting that we may have to phone for assistance, or walk home. I drove and we took it on the same route. Nothing! It drove normally. Couldn't fault it.

Back home again and having another good look under the bonnet, I noticed that the manual fuel priming rubber bulb was completely collapsed. It had been slightly 'dimpled' on one side for years; ever since it got a lot of exercise when the dreaded Lucas Epic syndrome first struck. But the priming bulb always worked when priming the filter housing after a filter change, and it never returned to fully inflated. But now it's completely collapsed as if subjected to considerable suction. Whatever caused it, it's only happened since the last filter change.

So - has the bulb just given up and collapsed under fuel suction, thereby restricting fuel flow under load?
    Has a non-return valve in the bulb jammed partially closed, thereby causing the suction and bulb collapse?
    Why is it now behaving normally, despite the collapsed bulb?

Advertisement

Anyone else experienced this or something similar?

My first step will be to replace the bulb with a new one, if I can get one. (Quick call to Hayden & Shinny tomorrow). But I thought it worth asking now as I might learn more before Monday.
    Fingers crossed.

Have a quick look under the car and make no road debris has jumped up and crimped a fuel line shut. This was the cause of exactly the same symptoms you describe a few years back on a 406 STDT I worked on.
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

1000+ Posts

Could be the tanks not breathing ,and the pump is sucking the primer ball flat , i second checking hoses under car and fuel cap ,thinking it will probably breath through a carbon canister somewhere ,pugs

WLB

Quote Originally Posted by Demannu View Post
    Have a quick look under the car and make no road debris has jumped up and crimped a fuel line shut. This was the cause of exactly the same symptoms you describe a few years back on a 406 STDT I worked on.
    Thanks for that Scotty. I'll check tonight. Better still; I'll get junior to check. Whatever it is/was, it hasn't recurred but the bulb is still tightly collapsed.

Quote Originally Posted by pugwash View Post
    Could be the tanks not breathing ,and the pump is sucking the primer ball flat , i second checking hoses under car and fuel cap ,thinking it will probably breath through a carbon canister somewhere ,pugs
    Thanks Pugs. That's one of the first things I checked after we'd run it again for awhile. I put my ear close to the cap and cracked the seal. No hint of vacuum. But of course it wasn't exhibiting the problem then.

Thread Information