Which engine oil? Low mile 1972 504 2L
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By dino

Thread: Which engine oil? Low mile 1972 504 2L

Default Which engine oil? Low mile 1972 504 2L

With SCA and Repco both having specials this weekend, I figured it is a good time to stock up on some oil for when I get the 504 back on the road.

1972 504 Automatique, with 64k miles on the clock. Which engine oil would you use?

Advertisement

Cheers!

I'm using Nulon 15W50 Fully Synthetic in mine.
    Peugeot 504 Intercooled T04 Turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by callipygous View Post
    I'm using Nulon 15W50 Fully Synthetic in mine.
    Can't fault that choice. Modern oils are so much better than the ones from the past; be they mineral, semi-synthetic or fully synthetic. Just make sure the oil meets the minimum viscosity requirements, don't worry about it exceeding the SE testing requirement. The new standards are in another league.
    Not only get the engine oil in bulk, what about the diff oil and other fluids?
    Brendan.

DJ,
    I've always used Valvoline engine oils. Mainly 10/40 or 20/50. No need for synthetic in my 'umble opinion, Old tech etc. Not much more than $20 for 5 litres on special.
    No sludge build up under tappet cover. Always dark oil when drained, must be doing its job eh?
    Don't use any engine flush products. Always use Purflux oil filters, cheaper than Ryco.

64K for a '72 model? I used to brag about my '79 model only having 42K up when I bought it !

Even the most basic oil from any of the manufacturers is streets ahead what was available "back then"... I d still recommend penrite over others simply because of its higher zinc content... hpr30 has been the liquid of choice for all my older cars... from the benzes to my 604... great oil pressure and longevity...

dino
    robmac, lozenge and bluemoon like this.

I agree with Dino and Wildebeest....and it depends on how much you want to spend. I ran a rebuilt 504 engine for 200,000 Ks on mostly Valvoline and the occasional Castrol or Shell Helix. I changed it every 5,000 Ks and did the filter every second change. Was still going well when I sold it and hardly used any oil.

Penrite HPR 30 will cost about $35, but is the best of the lower-priced oils. No need at all to go synthetic (and more expensive).

Tadpole

Yeah same here in my 206 gti , not 180

UNM
    Fellow Frogger!

If I was following the manufacturers service schedule and changing oil every 30,000km or 2 years (2003 206GTi), I would strongly recommend synthetic oil.

I don't intend to do that and reckon semi synthetic HX-7 at $20 a time (whenever supercheap have it on sale) is quite sufficient if changing every 10,000km.

everyone has different opinions and you need to make up your own mind as we will never all agree.

Some excellent advice, thanks everyone. I wasn't sure if the low mileage still demanded a higher viscosity, or if this was simply due to the nature of the engine itself, as opposed to mileage.
    I'm thinking HPR30 will be the go, on the basis that Penrite is in all of my other vehicles.

Cheers!

My 72 504 now has 115,000 miles on the clock and I have owned it since it had 27,000 miles on it (1980 purchased)

Ever since engine the rebuild in 1985, it has had an oil change and oil filter change every 6 months regardless of mileage. Over the past 20 years, it has had Penrite HPR 30 running through it. I am still astounded at how it never burns a drop of oil and when I pull out the dipstick to check the level, I always have to do a double take to ensure I can see the oil...it is that clean.

Just my 2 cents.....

Ps...I think you should post up a pic of the vehicle - with such low kms it must be pretty unique.

Asking questions about crankcase oil is the basis of many pub, wine and cheese and dinner party discussions. The 504 motor is a robust yet simple device: no overhead camshafts or multi valve cylinder heads.
    I use Penrite or Valvoline oil from K-Mart and change the oil and filter every 5,000 kms.
    cheaper than buying synthetic oil. Consider draining the gearbox and differential too and replacing with good oils. I always give the transmission a shot of nulon too.

Fellow Frogger!

penrite hpr30 is 20w-60, isn't it way too thick? the manuals say 10w40.

I/ve always used Castrol GTX

Thread Information