505 Sunroof Quiz
  • Register
  • Help

505 Sunroof Quiz

I've just noticed that the masonite sheet that sits between the roof lining and the internals for the sunroof has warped quite badly, and is pushing down on the roof lining inside the car. I plan to pull it out and replace it, as well as the masonite that attaches to the sunroof pannel. BUT before I do, I wanted to make sure that I won't have to do it again, so have a few questions.
    Has anyone done a job like this before, and are there any tips?
    On the exterior, the back of the sliding pannel for the sunroof sits cira 5-8mm lower than the roof of the car - is this normal or a problem with the alignment?
    Any other suggestions on how to keep the roof water tight (other than a whole lot of silicone) would be appreciated.

Advertisement

Thanks,

<small>[ 31 August 2003, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: Liam Wishart ]</small>

This sounds like a question that might well be put to the Yahoo groups Peugeot-L forum.

Some real sunroof experts there...

I also have a sunroof question, Has anyone had the cable break ? and either repaired it or had it repaired ?

I am led to beleive that a new one is quite expensive ?

Ben
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1990 Peugeot 505 GTD Turbo Wagon
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

Again, a topic that comes up regularly on Peugeot-L... I think they have a section for this sort of stuff, like a list of common problems.

Fellow Frogger!
    On the exterior, the back of the sliding pannel for the sunroof sits cira 5-8mm lower than the roof of the car
    That must make a helluva racket!! eek! No, it should be flush. Sounds like the cable is not winding the cradle fully forward. The panel slides to the front stop, and the cable keeps winding so the rear supports then push the rear of the panel upwards until flush.

I have replaced a cable - it's not all that tough to do. In my case the plastic sleeve had disintegrated.

Cheers,
    Cheers,
    Brodie

'78 604 SL (LPG) ...........for sale ..sold
    '81 604 SL (spares) .......for sale ..sold
    '85 505 GTi ..................for sale ..sold
    '94 405 SRDT............... for sale ..sold
    '07 307 HDi hatch
    '07 307 HDi Wagon

My sunroof panel sits slightly low at the rear too, I thought it was normal... Something else for me to check out.

In relation to making things water tight, a new sunroof seal wouldn't go astray. I haven't really worried about it as the whole assembly is drained through tubes inside roof pillars anyway, and no water ever seems to get in, except after going through a car wash...

Cheers,
    Richard
    - Richard

Now: 405 SRI D70 '93
    - 2.0L manual
    Earlier: 505 GTi Executive '85
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

speaking of sunroofs

on my 405 i haev the electric slide back type.
    it goes up a few cm then slides back

lately it hasn't been going up that few cm and gets stuck..

i recently put some greese along the tracks, as i cleaned it up a year ago and felt it needed some sort of lube to make it slide easier...

any idea's?

cheers
    Nathan

An update: just got the sunroof seal and replaced it. I noticed when putting the new rubber on, that there is a section of thicker rubber which runs along the back of the sunroof and was wondering if this thicker section should in fact run along the front. Could someone have a look at there's and let me know?

Thanks.

Yeah, the thicker part of the rubber runs along the back of my sunroof aswell.

I found that this thicker rubber also extends to the rear part of the sides of the sunroof. After much frustration, I discovered that this rubber along the sides was responsible for causing the roof to slow in one spot whenever it retracted. I sliced off some of the protruding rubber to stop it rubbing against the metal on both sides inside the roof (they seemed to form part of the roof structure) that was causing the problem.

Once you install the seal, check to see if the sunroof slows in one spot. If it does, you may have to do the same.

Cheers,
    Richard
    - Richard

Now: 405 SRI D70 '93
    - 2.0L manual
    Earlier: 505 GTi Executive '85
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

well... things just got a little more complicated with the sunroof. I'm told I now need to replace the dreaded cable in the sunroof (no longer retracting etc half pipe which holds the cable in place is bent etc). CRAP! Am told that the part is worth about $450 (non-genuine), plus a day's labour - can't imagine I'd be getting much change out of $1000 (if not more). This has really got me thinking more about getting a D8 406 - next year perhaps . anyways was wondering if anyone's done this before, and what did they pay for the cable? Has anyone got any suggestions on where I could pick a cheaper one up from?

Tadpole
    Liam ,

In terms of the cable , i have had mine replaced many years ago , at an expensive cost. The cable at the time was mid three hundreds, + labour to put it in. Much Roubles were handed over that day to have it working. Its since gone again , many years later , this time its my engine thats causing the concern. Another problem... sheesh. I however have had a quote on the cable given to me about a month ago, Mid Fives now.... so , the sun on your head whilst driving had all of a sudden become much more expensive.Particularly when you consider the labour costs havent exactly gone down either.

Though with all of that said , sunroofs are great. Just costly.

Suggestions given to me over the years are , if you have a cable now , then take it to a cable making company and ask them , the T joint at the end might be the problem though , but if you have that then perhaps you might be in luck. If it saves you a few hundred in the end then , go for it.

Good Luck.

Or else , there might be someone with a cable that is GOOD in these forums ...

Phil

505 GTI Ser 1

Fellow Frogger!
    I replaced mine in the GTi a couple of years ago. Got it from the wreckers for about $30 from memory. The trick is to make sure of getting a good one. The sleeve is hard plastic and deteriorates over time.

Getting it in was the tricky bit - in particular getting up through the rear pillar. Seem to remember pulling the old sleeve out, leaving the cable in place, then feeding the new sleeve over the cable so it could find its way through the pillar. If you need to replace the cable as well, then just pull it out and feed in the new one. Whatever you do, don't pull the whole cable assembly out, you may never get it back in! eek!

Get access to the cable in the roof and the rear of the sliding panel by removing the roof lining starting at the rear window. It's not too difficult.

While you have it all dissasembled, it's a good idea to have the motor cleaned up - new brushes and skim the commutator. The motor needs to be in good condition to ensure the panel closes positively.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Cheers,
    Brodie

'78 604 SL (LPG) ...........for sale ..sold
    '81 604 SL (spares) .......for sale ..sold
    '85 505 GTi ..................for sale ..sold
    '94 405 SRDT............... for sale ..sold
    '07 307 HDi hatch
    '07 307 HDi Wagon

Thread Information