205 rust
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 205 rust

Default 205 rust

ok so i've done some perusing while the coolant hoses are out as I want to replace a lot of the wiring while i'm there. I found a rust site and another crack in the chassis, hopefully the only ones. They look very small and harmless, but just want some opinions.

The points are symmetrical on the car, and are where the firewall meets the side panels.

Advertisement

the rusty spot is right under the booster/fuel filter if you follow it down all the way. Was hidden under a stack of leaves. It looks pretty bad, i need to dremel around it to see the extend of the damage.

These are both repairable with the engine in the car yes?

Need to cut out all rust and get to clean metal

Cracks appear as this is the weakest point, i.e. rusted and will continue to grow as you use the car

Worst case the front will break off

Get some blue dye marker, run on and wipe off will show up all cracks better

Heavy handed screwdriver will also reveal other rust not yet visible but coming through from otherside as this has

ok that crack on the right end (facing car) was just a crack in the sealant, that area looks clean had a poke around... but on the driver's side.

The drivers side (left hand on the french diagrams above) rust looks like it needs a lot of work. Anyone know anyone who does this kind of stuff? It looks like at the very minimum drive shafts/control arm/strut out.

I poked my screwdriver from underneath the car and could pivot against it and fold the weak metal back a bit. Point is it's much worse than I thought it was.

apparently this is a very very common rust spot. It must be because it sits right under the master cylinder, so leaking brakefluid eats paint, and over the years it begins to decay.

Anyone else noticed this on their 205s? It's hard to see with coolant pipes and leaves.

ok here are my options

1. sort it out quickly with engine in car, keep car regoed for the year, have my spare engine rebuilt which is already underway and when that is done (will be taking my time), do a complete engine out then work on everything as you would on any shell.

2. or if deemed serious enough, cancel my rego to save at least some cash, and start complete overhaul and track for other secret spots. I've inspected fairly seriously now there don't seem to be any other spots, which is why i'm hesitant on this option, but speaking to Paul V on the phone he says otherwise. This means the car will be down for as long as it takes until I get the spare rebuilt.

Here is a video showing the extent of it all. It t doesn't seem to extend to all the end of the firewall, but just off. The weld seam on the corner was very strong and regarding the rusty part, there was this weird filler material that looked like it was been there since factory. I'm not sure how a factory 205 bay looks like but it doesn't seem far fetched, though I would've expected a weld seam between that part you see me poking into.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lionus/16670040545/

Can I get any opinions please?

If it's mobile, get a panel shop's opinion. Someone who fixes rust, not to pass rego but so it won't come back in a hurry.

Thread Information