more 206 electrical problems
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Tadpole

Icon8 more 206 electrical problems

My 206 CC that had previously been having electrical faults has started to break down again. If you didn't catch my previous posts... the vehicle electrical system "resets" in transit. All lights go out and the engine has even stalled twice on me, once in the middle of the freeway.

Allpike Peugeot can not find a thing wrong with the vehicle.

Advertisement

Does anyone have any suggestions on who I should contact within Peugeot to get a new vehicle? Allpike have ruled a new vehicle "out of the question."

I am ready to ring Ray Martin and appeal to public outcry! I can't afford big legal bills but I don't want to be stuck with a 6 month old car that is dangerous to drive.

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by nevinp
    My 206 CC that had previously been having electrical faults has started to break down again. If you didn't catch my previous posts... the vehicle electrical system "resets" in transit. All lights go out and the engine has even stalled twice on me, once in the middle of the freeway.

Allpike Peugeot can not find a thing wrong with the vehicle.

Does anyone have any suggestions on who I should contact within Peugeot to get a new vehicle? Allpike have ruled a new vehicle "out of the question."

I am ready to ring Ray Martin and appeal to public outcry! I can't afford big legal bills but I don't want to be stuck with a 6 month old car that is dangerous to drive.
    I feel for you ... I've get the same type of thing happen completely out of the blue .. was really bad in the first 3 months .. they tried many different fixes, then 14 months of trouble free motoring and now it's back again ... yep cut out 100% in the middle of the road, just driving along. (happened 3 times in 3 weeks). What I want to know, if this is still a problem after warrenty ... am I going to have to contunie to pay for fixes on a pre-existing condition (that they can't fix)? And NEVER shows a computer fault (hard to write a fault without power

As for "Ray Martin" I've thought about it, if it'd happen when they were in the car I think the bad publicity would do one of two things ... make them replace your car, or tell them "stuff him he's done damage to us why should we consider helping him now" ... which one do you think it'd be ?

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Hi,

Can I suggest you email Peugeot in France with your concerns.

You may be pleasantly surprised.

It seems like a "common" problem - maybe a recall is warranted. Also you may want call the Australian Consumer and Competion Commission for advice on the latter.

Cheers ....... Nick

Before you do anything I suggest you contact the Department of Fair Trading.
    If my memory serves me correctly, there was legislation enacted some years ago to cover "Lemons" particularly in the motor industry.
    If you firstly ask them if this legislation still exists. It was enacted following a radio shock jock of days gone by called Hayden Sargeant who had an endless string of problems without satisfactory response from the manufacturers, Volvo, (sorry Justin, not having a "go" simply quoting facts) and he did so much screaming that the politicians eventually decided to act.
    If it is still in its same form, you will require a history of problems to be sent to the Department for their consideration. These days, I don't know if ACCC has assumed the role of the authority responsible, but the OFT should be able to tell you this.
    If you are getting palmed off at Peugeot, it just means that you're not far enough up the management tree. If that fails of course, a call to HQ should do the trick.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    Before you do anything I suggest you contact the Department of Fair Trading.
    If my memory serves me correctly, there was legislation enacted some years ago to cover "Lemons" particularly in the motor industry.
    If you firstly ask them if this legislation still exists. It was enacted following a radio shock jock of days gone by called Hayden Sargeant who had an endless string of problems without satisfactory response from the manufacturers, Volvo, (sorry Justin, not having a "go" simply quoting facts) and he did so much screaming that the politicians eventually decided to act.
    If it is still in its same form, you will require a history of problems to be sent to the Department for their consideration. These days, I don't know if ACCC has assumed the role of the authority responsible, but the OFT should be able to tell you this.
    If you are getting palmed off at Peugeot, it just means that you're not far enough up the management tree. If that fails of course, a call to HQ should do the trick.

Alan S
    I wish Australia would adopt the US Lemon model - not that I've ever owned a lemon. Three strikes and it is a new replacement car.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Tadpole

Icon9

I already contacted a lawyer and they have told me not to drive the vehicle any more. If I have an accident in the vehicle with a pre existing, known fault my insurance will not cover me. The lawyer also said that if I am killed in an accident caused by my vehicles failure he will sue Peugeot for millions on my behalf. I think that is some form of lawyer humour that I don't get.

I am pleased to see that my problems are not unique to my vehicle. I am now without a car to drive and still making payments on my $46k 206CC. I am delivering a letter to Allpike today, requesting a new vehicle and asking for a loan car for the time taken to deliver the new vehicle.

XTC

I already contacted a lawyer and they have told me not to drive the vehicle any more. If I have an accident in the vehicle with a pre existing, known fault my insurance will not cover me.
    Really ... not to drive at ALL ??? Now what am I supposed to do?

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

i think the two of you have a chat and if peugeot get a couple or more complaints about the same thing the matter may be resolved quicker

a one off for peugeot could take a fair while and it could never get anywhere through normal channels but if they get 2 of the same and you never know there may be a couple of others then the whole saga might have a good outcome
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Perhaps in your letter to Peugeot, the suggestion of a class action instigated by you, as you "already know of at least one other owner with the same problem" might raise a few eyebrows!!

Alan S

I assume Peugeot in France have an email facility.

I'd go for it now, send them a rocket, and wait for action which I'm sure to follow.

I have assisted many people over the years deal with issues similar to yours.

Success has always followed extreme levels of action, the shock horrow factor.

As an example, two years ago we had installed a ducted air cond system for our home - cost $12,000.

The system did not meet the manufacturer's standard of performance.

I gave the Aus importer three attempt to sought the issues. They failed, could not care less. Not much fun when you have already paid for the product.

So I decided not to muck around and waste my time any further, I sent an email to the manufacturer in Japan citing that the product did not meet the manufactuer's intended and quoted function and thus immeditae action was required. Japan kicked arse here in Aus within 3 days.

Have you contacted your state motoring org for help? Send an email to Car Mag in the UK asking whether they have knowledge of the problem - at least now inherent given more than one case exists.

I you wish, send me collectively, via email, details about the problems with both cars and I will contact the relevant Pug people.

Who am I? Well, I established the Peugeot Association of Canberra Inc. in 1979. The aim of doing the latter was to bring together fellow enthusiasts and to also provide an avenue of consumer proctection and other advantages for members. I'm currently an honourary life member of the Assoc. We no longer own Pugs, for the present time at least.

I have a desire though ,to ensure people are not ripped off.

Cheers ....... Nick

(snip)

I am ready to ring Ray Martin and appeal to public outcry!
    My advice to you... don't believe what you see on TV; Ray Martin is not there to help you....

Sending a letter of demand to the dealer is a good idea, as is writing a letter directly to the manufacturer.

I would suggest trying the things that the good people here have suggested; some of these have worked for me in the past in similar problems. (Particularly the Air Conditioning example)

Good luck, and hope you can get your Pug sorted.

"You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles... Radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat." - Albert Einstein

Xantia Activa CT - Chock full of upsy-downsy goodness!

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Nick I
    I you wish, send me collectively, via email, details about the problems with both cars and I will contact the relevant Pug people.
    Ta .. I have a detailed event by event (date, time action, other specifics) log in my Palm Pilot (which is synch'd at work) so rather then typing it all, I'll wait until Tues (lucky me has a day off Monday) ... but I'll also hold my horses as it being seen to again on Monday (fingers crossed).

They know about it all right ... check out this forum

http://206infoexchange.proboards22.com/

or more specfically

http://206infoexchange.proboards22.c...i?board=cutout

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

There was a guy recently had a problem with a new C3 just stopping for no apparent reason. They changed ECUs etc and eventually found a wire rubbing on part of the body.
    Every chance it's something similar so I wonder if contact with PSA rather than just Peugeot (Aust) may be a better option?
    After all, getting the car fixed is the most important rather than rocking the boat which could still be done if no straight answer was forthcoming.

Alan S

FWIW, here's the story:-

http://www.citroencarclub.org.au/for...r=asc&start=30

Tadpole

Icon8 letter to Peugeot

This is the letter I delivered to Allpike today. I also sent it to the Managing Director of Peugeot Australia and Peugeot France Customer Service Demartment (badly translated into French).

-------------------------------------------------------

Re: Peugeot 206CC 2.0litre

Dear Sir or Madam,

Having purchased a Peugeot 206CC from Allpike Peugeot on 9/7/03 I am writing to you to seek resolution of a number of problems that I have experienced with this car.

On the first day I took delivery of the vehicle I was made aware of a serious fault. The vehicle instrumentation intermittently ‘resets’ such that the speedometer and tachometer turn to the off position and the onboard computer ‘blanks’ out. For a few seconds the computer appears to reboot, then all instrumentation is operational again. During this time the vehicle has limited braking, no hazard lights, airbags are rendered inoperable and all lights are turned off. Three days after purchase, I returned the vehicle to Allpike Peugeot and was told that a “loose wire was found under the dash.”

After a few more weeks I experienced a recurrence of the exact same failure (30/7/03) as I was driving home in the dark. My headlights stopped working and all instrumentation reset. A phone call to Allpike Peugeot the following day resulted in the car being returned, once again for a check-up. Allpike Peugeot spent considerable attention to isolating a fault in the electrical system and reported that a “faulty earth was located and repaired.”

On 14/11/03 the exact same failures occurred and Allpike were called yet again. All they could suggest was that the vehicle “would be looked at.”

On 1/2/04, whilst driving on the freeway, the vehicle instrumentation reset and the engine stalled. My vehicle rolled to a halt but I was stuck in the middle lane with traffic travelling around me at 100km/hr. My hazard lights would not work and I was fortunate to survive several near misses as other motorists swerved to avoid hitting me.

After this incident I called the Peugeot Assist service to tow the vehicle to Allpike Peugeot for repair. Allpike kept the vehicle for three days and reportedly replaced several components. At the time I was told that the problem “should be fixed” but “no promises could be given.”

By the 24/2/04 I was beginning to regain some confidence in driving the vehicle as it had done nearly 1000kms without repeating the faults. However, as my wife was driving back from a 250km journey the lights cut out on her whilst in transit. My wife was pregnant with our first child by this time and I was furious not only with the vehicle but also at having my trust and confidence betrayed by my faith in the ‘repairs.’

On 5/3/04 I had arranged for the vehicle to be returned to Allpike Peugeot one more time. Whilst driving the vehicle home the ignition cut out and the vehicle stalled. As I was stationary at the time I was once again lucky not to seriously injure myself or others. Once again I found that even the hazard lights would not work.

At the time of writing this letter my car has been at Allpike Peugeot for four days. The mechanics have advised me not to expect the car back until at least next week. My wife is forced to drive me to work at considerable inconvenience to both of us.

It is no longer possible for me to drive my Peugeot with any level of confidence in it’s safety. To do so at this point would be to endanger the lives of the other motorists as well as myself. Having paid Allpike Peugeot to ensure that I have a safe, reliable and enjoyable vehicle, I feel betrayed by the fact that they have not come close to ensuring an acceptable level of safety in return.

The vehicle cannot be driven safely with the intermittent failure of critical systems. Any accidents that may occur as a result of known mechanical failures are not covered by insurance. As I am sure you will agree, a vehicle that works safely 99.9% of the time does not constitute an acceptable level of safety; especially in light of it being a ‘performance vehicle.’

Having sought legal advice from the WA Department of Fair Trading I have been advised not to drive the vehicle again. They have recommended that I seek an amicable solution to this problem by working with you to provide a new vehicle before considering the legal alternatives.

Given these circumstances I am requesting that Allpike Peugeot provide a completely new replacement vehicle, identical to the one I originally ordered. As I appreciate that there may be some delay in sourcing a new vehicle I would also request that a loan vehicle be made available until the new car is provided.

Despite my concerns with this vehicle and my lack of confidence in its safety I would like to commend Allpike Peugeot on their well deserved reputation of providing excellent customer support. Whilst I am dismayed by the performance of my Peugeot, I appreciate the lengths that they have gone to in attempting to isolate the faults and correct them. In particular Gerry Larkin is to be praised for his obvious devotion to customer service.

Despite Allpikes best efforts, the faults to my vehicle have not been isolated or repaired. It is not possible for me to trust Allpike Peugeot to correct the faults before a serious accident occurs as I have exhausted my good faith in the Peugeot. Consequently, I am left with no other option than to invoke my legal right to replace the faulty goods.

Members at the Perth Peugeot Club are watching my dilemma with great interest. Without fail, all I have spoken to have commented that Allpike have always provided satisfactory resolutions to their problems and I have supported their conclusions. It is my hope that this situation will be resolved so that I can report back that my experiences were no exception.

Hi,

I have looked at the above sites, and my conclusion is that there is a collective and inhernt problem. Personally if I were in such a position I would want my money back now. Not the same car.

I enjoyed Peugeots that we had, ie 504, 505, 604, 305. The latter was FWD and flimsy compared to the former RWD versions. The RWD models gave good ride comfort coupled with OK handling. Seats were comfy. Body integrity was strong. Air conditiong/ventilation/heating were well below acceptable standards. The 504 the worst in this regard. The bodies and suspension were robust. Things like head gasket problems, difficulty in getting good wheel balance, and you needed octopus asbestos coated arms to get stuck into working on the PVR 6.

If I look at the recall site, administered by the Australian Dept of Treasury, the 206 and 306 get a lot of mention.

I think Peugeot have lost it. The 607 looks good but is an expensive flop. Maybe the 307 is just OK. Later model 306's seem more reliable. A late model 406 maybe Ok, the coupe in particular - only for the looks.

Until Peugeot get their act together I will stick with our Subaru Liberty and Fairlane and continue to enjoy trouble free motoring.

Go for Peugeot's throat!

Cheers .... Nick

Fellow Frogger!

Default Recourse

I assume Peugeot in France have an email facility.........---.......
    So I decided not to muck around and waste my time any further, I sent an email to the manufacturer in Japan citing that the product did not meet the manufactuer's intended and quoted function and thus immeditae action was required. Japan kicked arse here in Aus within 3 days.
    You clearly are confusing Peugeot with a company that actually gives a rat's ass about customer service.

In almost all my dealings with PSA and Peugeot in France over the past decades (always in the French language, as a courtesy to them), they have been singularly uncommitted to customer satisfaction.

Sure there are a few good, helpful people there, but they're not the ones that matter, the ones that make decisions like that which needs to be made here, in the case of the psycho 206 CC.

The Japanese, love them or hate them, value their reputation and have a quality ethic that is pervasive. If this was Toyota, they'd be tripping over themselves to replace the car, I'm sure of it.

The French generally know they have a lousy reputation for quality and can continue to sell cars despite it (until people smarten up and stop buying them in droves). So they don't care.

This is why they had to leave the USA and Canadian markets. The early 405s were crap, quality-wise, people knew it and stayed away. Their next car planned for US release was the S1 605, which was an unbelievably poor car, a reliability disaster. So they pulled out before introducing the 605 (a good choice). Peugeot also had a number of mistaken ideas about this market too, thinking for example that the 205 GTI would not have sold well here (duh, WRONG, it's clearly the best of all Peugeots from the 1980s). Were they to come back here now with problems like this, they'd be laughed all the way back to Sochaux. And so they won't be back, unless they finally get their shabby quality under control.
    Last edited by M. Tippett; 13th March 2004 at 05:17 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

Default nevinp

BRILLIANT letter nevinp; I only hope someone that cares reads it and takes this POS lemon off your hands.

Good luck.

XTC

Let us know what happens Paul ... and the Vin number of your car so if it DOES get replaced no sucker on this board buys its - cause it will be resold. (put an Aussiefrog sticker in a discrete place

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

Hi,

Can I suggest you email Peugeot in France with your concerns.
    I've found they're quite slow to get back (a month or so) - you can try to contact them via the website though. It's good to try though.

http://www.peugeot.com/v2/en/contact/index.html

I've had good dealings with Peugeot downunder with regards to problems, but then again, I do run a Peugeot 307 website I deal with their PR & Customer Relations manager. Go via them before you go straight to ACA or Today Tonight.

All the best with getting a resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by kermit
    I wish Australia would adopt the US Lemon model - not that I've ever owned a lemon. Three strikes and it is a new replacement car.
    Absolutely. Downunder we often like to knock the Americans a bit, but I think this is a good one. We have the Trade Practises Act, but it's not quite as easy.

Consumers have a lot more power in the US - they seem far better organised than down here.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Banned

damn all this is scaring me. my fiance is very seriously considering a upgrade to a gti 180, after comparisons with a cooper s.
    well i know she wont be getting a death trap unless something is done, recognized, proven and guaranteed, otherwise Peugeot can kiss our butt's goodbye.

Quote Originally Posted by Gem-205
    damn all this is scaring me. my fiance is very seriously considering a upgrade to a gti 180, after comparisons with a cooper s.
    well i know she wont be getting a death trap unless something is done, recognized, proven and guaranteed, otherwise Peugeot can kiss our butt's goodbye.
    What did you find were the pros and cons for both the 180 and the S? What has swung you to the 180? And what are you/your fiance driving now that is being disposed of?

What makes you think the car is a death trap?
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Tadpole

Icon9 update on replacement car

an update on the situation...

Allpike gave me a loan car on Saturday which has eased the pain a little. Although the 1.4ltr 206 auto isn't quite as fun as my 2.0 litre CC.

I received a reply to my letter from John Allpike that basically went along the lines of... we are going to try and help but it is up to Peugeot to replace the vehicle. This is fair enough, as I know this isn't a mechanical fault that they can repair. However under Australian law it isn't a distinction I have to make. The seller, not the manufacturer, is responsible under the WA Sale of Goods Act 1865. I won't be mentioning this unless things go bad; which it doesn't look likely anyway.

Peugeot France have been onto Allpike three times yesterday to raise the priority to a "level 3". From what I was told this means they establish a link up to the car from France and try and diagnose the fault. They are shipping in some replacement parts which won't be here until Friday. That will mean it has been two weeks without the car and no resolution in sight.

I am sticking with the legal advice and not accepting the car again even after Peugoet replace more parts. This vehicle is going to kill someone in the current state and I don't want it to be me or my wife. (Please don't buy metalic black 206CCs.)

Will keep you updated. Thanks for your support.

P.S. Peugeot France have yet to contact me directly but I exect the Australian MD may send me a letter shortly.

XTC

Had the BSI reprogrammed ...

New features ... not only does the dash light for no seatbelt come on ... the centre display flashes a warning and chimes continuously getting louder and louder until you put it on ... but when in reverse it doesn't seem to happen ...

Wonder what else I'll find.

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

Tadpole

Default 206 build quality questionable...

My 206 loan car has done less than 2000 kms so it is NEW for all intensive purposes. I have been driving it around for a week and have found numerous problems.

For one the indicator stick stays on no matter how sharply you turn the corner. I also found that going up a multi story car park that the high beam would come on momentarily when turning sharply without the indicator on.

Another "issue" seems to be the revs which often change up and down by 1000 or so when idle (air conditioner off).

Is this indicative of all 206s? Or have I just driven the only two dud ones that Peugeot made?

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

My 206 loan car has done less than 2000 kms so it is NEW for all intensive purposes. I have been driving it around for a week and have found numerous problems.

For one the indicator stick stays on no matter how sharply you turn the corner. I also found that going up a multi story car park that the high beam would come on momentarily when turning sharply without the indicator on.

Another "issue" seems to be the revs which often change up and down by 1000 or so when idle (air conditioner off).

Is this indicative of all 206s? Or have I just driven the only two dud ones that Peugeot made?

you been walking under ladders, opening umbrellas up indoors, running over chinamen ?

you just can't seem to take a trick with 206's
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information