Waterless coolant ??
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Waterless coolant ??

Hi All,
    Have rebuilt a 504 engine and will soon start it up for the first time, or hopefully anyway. I like the idea of waterless coolant but as its a bit expensive I'd like to prove there are no leaks before pouring it in. I guess pressure testing is the way to go, but how?
    Can anyone recommend a method of doing this? And what sort of pressure to run it up to?
    Also, what's the consensus on waterless coolant, anyway?
    Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

I read an article in a 4WD mag about 12 18 months ago, they loved it. Before using it he could never keeps temps safe on the beach, dropped them 15 degrees if I remember right.
    Gillian and Chris

74 D Special, and now a 74 Pallas 23 5 speed with air(maybe). And now a Cactus!

Oh, and a Holden.

Lasya, Tibetan goddess of the moon and beauty who carries a mirror.

1000+ Posts

A magic formula that is becoming the rage. It is actually propylene glycol, and while having a higher boiling point than conventional ethylene glycol and water, it has lower thermal capacity. Never let water get in as it may vapourise in the engine, leaving areas of no cooling.

Pressure testing is one test which can show leaks, but idealy you'd run a waterless coolant at atmo pressure anyway.

The problem I see with your situation is making sure everything is spot on. Time is the best judge of that.
    Just use good regular coolant untill 6 month or so have passed then do the change if nothing is playing up.

pressure testing....you can buy a kit, or if you are a thrifty type guy, grab a pressure gauge and a shraeder valve and work out how you can cobble up some plumbing to add them to your system.
    I actualy tapped a shraeder valve into my coolant bottle permanently, and pressure testing is as easy as pulling out a bleeder plug, shoving a pressure guage into the hole, and pumping up the cooling system with a small bike pump.
    Once you bike pump efforts get to radiator or expansion bottle cap pressure you should see the pressure level out as excess is vented and it should hold that pressure for a good time.
    How long will depend on how well everything seals (including your test rig).

Jo

I wouldn't bother, I took the head off my '73 504 a couple of years back for the first time in it's life and the cooling system was in perfect condition. Not a hint of corrosion anywhere in the system.

This car has done 250,000 miles and always used BP (or now Castrol) coolant with regular water.
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1990 Peugeot 505 GTD Turbo Wagon
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks jo proffi, the article makes interesting reading but doesn't make it sound all that flash.

Thread Information