504 wagon hand brake woes
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pughead2

Thread: 504 wagon hand brake woes

Default 504 wagon hand brake woes

I recently had the back end of my 504 wagon jacked up after some diff work- re adjusted the rear brakes- not too much I thought!
    Since then Ive had the handbrake lever stay in the downward position ( on the odd occasion) with the rear brakes locked on. A small forward and reverse while tugging on the lever releases it but not sure whats causing this condition ???
    Any thoughts ??
    Cheers
    Pughead

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

I had a 404 wagon which had the cables frozen in their sheaths, through ago and rust. Judicious spraying with CRC and someone pulling on both ends ensured that they were both free, and we were able to use the handbrake again.

Maybe this is what's happening to a lesser extent with your car. Perhaps a cable is frayed and catching. Perhaps the pivot mechanisms need lubricating.
    1998 Peugeot 406 D8SV Manual
    1999 Peugeot 406 D8ST Auto
    2002 Peugeot 406 D9SV Manual
    1994 Peuegot 306 N3 Cabriolet Manual
    1994 Peugeot 306 XR N3 Hatch
    1995 Peugeot 505 GTI executive
    1976 Peugeot 504 Sedan - Now sold

Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

Quote Originally Posted by pugnut1 View Post
    I had a 404 wagon which had the cables frozen in their sheaths, through ago and rust. Judicious spraying with CRC and someone pulling on both ends ensured that they were both free, and we were able to use the handbrake again.

Maybe this is what's happening to a lesser extent with your car. Perhaps a cable is frayed and catching. Perhaps the pivot mechanisms need lubricating.
    Thanks Pugnut.
    Cables seem free enough, up on supports again, re adjusted brakes, all seems in order, so I drive it again this morning and see how we go.
    Cheers.
    Pughead

It's a well-known problem. If you adjust the rear brakes right up (seemingly close but not too close), often they will lock up when you then attempt to reverse. It goes away soon enough. Don't fret.

I found out by driving into a parking lot and having trouble getting out. My mechanic told me about it later. No problem soon after. The brake shoes and associated gear just need time to seat in, in the new position.

Quote Originally Posted by Beano View Post
    It's a well-known problem. If you adjust the rear brakes right up (seemingly close but not too close), often they will lock up when you then attempt to reverse. It goes away soon enough. Don't fret.

I found out by driving into a parking lot and having trouble getting out. My mechanic told me about it later. No problem soon after. The brake shoes and associated gear just need time to seat in, in the new position.
    Thanks Beano.
    That was indeed it....the problem, jacked it up, checked the cables re hand brake ( both o.k) Inspected the rear passenger side brakes and readjusted both sides a tad less and ....no more problems.
    Cheers and thanks.
    Pughead
    Wildebeest likes this.

Thread Information