207 HDi suddenly doesn't rev in 2nd gear
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 207 HDi suddenly doesn't rev in 2nd gear

Recently purchased a 207 HDi (DV6TED4) and changed the clutch/flywheel but now I'm finding that on occasion (about 3 times so far) that after upshifting into 2nd it'll barely rev (just over 1000rpm if that) no matter how much I press the accelerator. I'm still able to change gears, no warning lights come up, and restarting the car seems to fix the problem.

Advertisement

I've also noted that on a cold start the engine will continually surge (rpms slightly rise and fall, sounding like it's about to die before popping back to life) if I leave it to idle as well as there being a slight shuddering noise when driving. Occasionally I also have problems starting the car after stalling it. Never having owned a diesel, or even a manual before I'm not sure if these are normal. The car is also much overdue for it's 100k minor service (oil change, pollen filter change, fuel filter drain) with the last service in April last year, which I realise may contribute to the problems I'm having. Any suggestions on what could be causing these problems? Fuel or air filter? Lack of DPF regen?

1000+ Posts

FAP and filter problems don't usually confine themselves to one gear. The accelerator pedal is usually a pair of potentiometers whose values are read and acted upon by the computer system to change engine speed. A bad pedal sensor(s) can destroy idling and produce surging acceleration, but I'm not up on why the computer is holding back revs for a gear change. It would be handy to read the computer faults.

You wouldn't, by any chance, be using the brake and accelerator pedal at the same time?
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

The second gear only thing is unusual but Mdme Patpug's 207hdi had exactly those idle and no power (mostly in first and second pulling from lights, hill starts etc) symptoms and it was a faulty diesel filter.
    205 gti-6

205 track car build in progress http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

When changing the clutch, did you rotate the motor backwards?

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    FAP and filter problems don't usually confine themselves to one gear. The accelerator pedal is usually a pair of potentiometers whose values are read and acted upon by the computer system to change engine speed. A bad pedal sensor(s) can destroy idling and produce surging acceleration, but I'm not up on why the computer is holding back revs for a gear change. It would be handy to read the computer faults.
    Hmm, could be the culprit with surging plus the intermittent poor acceleration. Might see if I can grab an OBD2 reader. How costly would a replacement be?

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    You wouldn't, by any chance, be using the brake and accelerator pedal at the same time?
    Ahah, I'm still learning manual but I'm not that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by patpug View Post
    The second gear only thing is unusual but Mdme Patpug's 207hdi had exactly those idle and no power (mostly in first and second pulling from lights, hill starts etc) symptoms and it was a faulty diesel filter.
    Hmm, thought so. Might get the air and fuel filter changed just as a precation.

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    When changing the clutch, did you rotate the motor backwards?
    Not sure, I'll have to ask the mechanic who changed it, but I'd like to think that he knew what he was doing...

With regard to the 2nd gear only problem:
    I know that the ecu changes the throttle response based on what gear your in. (eg: in first the throttle will be a lot less sensitive then in fifth to make low speed maneuvering easier)
    On older models the ecu worked out what gear your in based on engine speed and road speed, but I don't know if this is true for newer models. It could be that a sensor was damaged or wiring not reconnected correctly.
    I would think that this would mean you just need to push the peddle harder, but I've seen stranger things, so you never know.

Thread Information