I found religion .... I a 306GTI-6!!!!
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: I found religion .... I a 306GTI-6!!!!

Default I found religion .... I a 306GTI-6!!!!

I've got to share this. I bought an 'as new' 99 gti-6 last year and so far aside from polishing the dip-stick and getting to know it generally, I've just driven to and from the city each day in my short commute to work. I'm still getting used to the clutch which is not as smooth as my 406, and the slightly cammy nature of the motor in traffic, but as the header says, I found another side of the car last weekend ...

Taking the car up the Pac Hwy towards Taree, I found myself on some VERY TWISTY and VERY FAST sections of road, that last not far shy of 60klms. The road was all mine, and as a mature driver having driven these specific roads for the better part of 25 years, I decided to open the little 306 up ... as far as I possibly could. The term 'drive it like you stole it' best describes the experience. The car has as new Michelin Pilot Sport 3's, and everything is 100% standard. It was serviced at PQAM just before the trip, adn the ODO reads 144klms.

Driving the car into the corners at nothing less than what can be described as 'warp speed', with very late braking, and an aggressive use of the 6 speed had me grinning like a Cheshire cat. I have driven the same road in my 93 205gti and just don't remember the same excitement. I have owned an early 911 turbo, a 2.7 Carrera, 2X 240Z's and a complete honey of a 504 but as hard as I tried, nothing came anywhere close to the way the little GTI-6 did what it did - and the others had not. It is truly amazing. Massive mid-gear torque b/t 2/3/4 gears, holds revs all the way up, and the grip, turn in - aided by that slightly weird 4WS feel, and corner exits was nothing short of telepathic. The speedo did read fairly high (as in sufficient to warrant a night or two on a very hard and cold bench nearby a tap and single toilet) but I've got to admit, as I did to my Wife when I arrived home (looking like the cat that swallowed the Canary), that 'This 306 GTI-6 is the best 'driving' car I have ever owned, bar NONE'

Totally true story. I just can't wait to get back there again for another go!!!

Do others agree, or am I just showing my age. After all, it's a 16yr old and totally stock 306 GTI6. I'm thinking LOTUS Elise style handling, or even better!!!

Advertisement

I've not the driving experience that you've had in different vehicles, but the S16 never fails to leave a Cheshire grin!

Welcome to the silly-grin-I-can't-wipe-off-my-face 306 club!

Same with my S16 (that big grin feeling), though I haven't had it on an excellent road for years. Thunderbolts way Thunderbolts Way - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Is probably the best drive I've had in it. That was probably about 16 or 17 years ago when It had very expensive yokohama's on it (they were on it when I got it). Best tyres I've had on it, though the Potenza S02 Pole positions were pretty close.. These days I only have Adrenalins, which are probably the best bang for your buck, but not as good as those super expensive sport tyres that are no longer made in our size.

People don't understand when you say how fun it is to drive, you have to experience it for yourself! and yes I have done some things in it I wouldn't have thought possible. Probably the most notable was down a steep hill taking a 35KM bend at 90 with no tyre squeal and not a hint of being pushed to hard. I generally run out of guts before the car runs out of ability!

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

Great post. They truly are awesome cars.
    Lotus Evora
    Peugeot 308 GTi
    1966 Volvo 122s
    Clio Sport Cup 182

Previous
    Lotus Sport 111, C4 VTS, RCZ, 205 GTi, Volvo C30 T5-R, Honda S2000, 206 GTi180, Lotus Elise 111R, 205 GTi 6, Manual 406 coupe, 306 GTi 6, 405 MI16 (twice!), 505 GR

Amen!
    1994 306 S16 Diablo Red
    2007 307 HDI 1.6 Wagon
    2005 Clio 182 F1 #29

I remember reading an article on the GTI-6 just before i bought it. The GTI-6 was compared to a Lotus Elise, Caterham 7, and some other silly track-based car. The thing that really got me was they were comparing a stock Pug to these literally hand built track specific race cars. I remember noting that Tiff Needel was the author and in one picture he had the GTi-6 on two wheels.

I forgot to mention I had a Clio Cup 180 and that was not even close to the Pug's performance. I was genuinely flying and even at that pace with 35klm corners at 90 type stuff, the car just wanted more and more and more. The one thing that stood out in my memory was that I wanted more HP, as the car just yearned for even more snarl that I was using. Then I got thinking .... and of course that's where the $$$$ comes in. I think for now however I'll be keeping the car just as it was built.

Glad to hear you still love it. Although they are still a great looking small hatch the real pleasure was always driving.....

Quote Originally Posted by acf321 View Post
    I've got to share this. I bought an 'as new' 99 gti-6 last year and so far aside from polishing the dip-stick and getting to know it generally, I've just driven to and from the city each day in my short commute to work. I'm still getting used to the clutch which is not as smooth as my 406, and the slightly cammy nature of the motor in traffic, but as the header says, I found another side of the car last weekend ...

Taking the car up the Pac Hwy towards Taree, I found myself on some VERY TWISTY and VERY FAST sections of road, that last not far shy of 60klms. The road was all mine, and as a mature driver having driven these specific roads for the better part of 25 years, I decided to open the little 306 up ... as far as I possibly could. The term 'drive it like you stole it' best describes the experience. The car has as new Michelin Pilot Sport 3's, and everything is 100% standard. It was serviced at PQAM just before the trip, adn the ODO reads 144klms.

Driving the car into the corners at nothing less than what can be described as 'warp speed', with very late braking, and an aggressive use of the 6 speed had me grinning like a Cheshire cat. I have driven the same road in my 93 205gti and just don't remember the same excitement. I have owned an early 911 turbo, a 2.7 Carrera, 2X 240Z's and a complete honey of a 504 but as hard as I tried, nothing came anywhere close to the way the little GTI-6 did what it did - and the others had not. It is truly amazing. Massive mid-gear torque b/t 2/3/4 gears, holds revs all the way up, and the grip, turn in - aided by that slightly weird 4WS feel, and corner exits was nothing short of telepathic. The speedo did read fairly high (as in sufficient to warrant a night or two on a very hard and cold bench nearby a tap and single toilet) but I've got to admit, as I did to my Wife when I arrived home (looking like the cat that swallowed the Canary), that 'This 306 GTI-6 is the best 'driving' car I have ever owned, bar NONE'

Totally true story. I just can't wait to get back there again for another go!!!

Do others agree, or am I just showing my age. After all, it's a 16yr old and totally stock 306 GTI6. I'm thinking LOTUS Elise style handling, or even better!!!

If you haven't felt the 205GTI excitment, either your gti was not up to scratch, or you weren't trying (you don't have to very hard, and your licence will tell you shortly). The 205 is a much more raw car, more like a go kart than anything I've driven. You should feel the excitment just taking off at the lights.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

205 gti is way better than any 306 gti full stop..!!!
    Your 205 gti must of been knackered or you didn't push it hard enough.

1990 Renault 5 GT turbo
    ####current rides####
    1994 205 gti 1.9 sorento green
    1988 205 gti 1.9 uk import grey
    2001 clio 172 sport ph1 #44/85
    1998 306 gti6. Blaze yellow
    1992 Honda Fireblade
    2013 Yamaha fzs sho Jetski
    1998 Supra RZ twin turbo white
    1999 Wrx classic gc8 sonic blue

Default I found religion .... I a 306GTI-6!!!!

Sure the GTi6 has a bit more weight and is a bit more refined, but three things I think it has over a standard 205 as a driver are:

- amazing brakes;
    - a truly addictive aural sensation as the revs climb; and
    - the feeling (that not many other cars have) as you lean onto the super stiff rear sway bar coming into the perfect corner.

Not necessarily saying it is better than a 205GTI, but it is still a purely awesome drivers car IMO.

Ben
    Lotus Evora
    Peugeot 308 GTi
    1966 Volvo 122s
    Clio Sport Cup 182

Previous
    Lotus Sport 111, C4 VTS, RCZ, 205 GTi, Volvo C30 T5-R, Honda S2000, 206 GTi180, Lotus Elise 111R, 205 GTi 6, Manual 406 coupe, 306 GTi 6, 405 MI16 (twice!), 505 GR

Great post. I feel the same EVERYTIME I drive my 205 gti. It really is an honour to own and enjoy these cars. Don't know if others have the same vibe but I just feel 'special' when I climb in and start her up. Call me crazy and I can't explain it but it's almost like I feel privileged to own and enjoy one of the most iconic hatches ever produced.
    WhiteKnightGTI likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    You should feel the excitment just taking off at the lights.
    I'm obviously a big 205 fan, but I do wonder about people saying things like this. I think the legend of the 205 is often much more than the reality.

The reality is that a standard 205 has a fairly ordinary and unexciting engine. It sounds flat with no exhaust note and the car is nothing special in a straight line. I remember being disappointed when I first had my Classic and went for a long fang along Bells Line of Road I couldn't get away from a Kia Rio. I've driven plenty of 205's and that Classic was a good one for a standard car. I suspect the Kia driver was pushing it and I was faster in any really tight corners, but he would catch me immediately on any hill.

Now wouldn't it be good if we could combine the best of the GTi6 with a 205....
    SilverGTi_6 likes this.

Lots of people have : )
    TrinityJayOne likes this.

hehe I see the religious war has started :p

Tony.
    lion5 likes this.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

Nice post, I've been driving a 205 gti6 franken-beast as my daily driver for a few years now and I love it.

There are definitely times when I would prefer a standard 306 gti6 but the old Pac Hwy is not one of them ;-)

What do they say? Opinions are like a---holes.... Everyone's got one!
    205 gti-6

205 track car build in progress http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Fellow Frogger!

Hehe, I've done this route a couple of times which isn't too bad! 100km/h for the entire way I believe, which unfortunately means that eventually you will probably catch someone as some of the turns are quite tight and/or blind, so many people will potter along and there's little opportunity for passing. Still, with the revs never below 4k and the occasional nudge of the limiter I've had some huge smiles! The blacktop condition does leave a bit to be desired though, which can cause some puckering when you hit a mid-corner bump at 90km/h and the rear gives a wiggle!
    2000 306 GTi6 'Josie'

Fellow Frogger!

Great post. I have the same reaction in my S16. I almost feel guilty getting so much fun for so little cash.
    06 Citroen C5 Estate 2.2 Hdi Auto
    95 Peugeot 306 S16
    95 Silver Xantia VSX - now deceased

Gti6 = rad.
    i wonder how many of our toys are still in oz. I heard that there were only 300 ever sent to oz.

I'm enjoying a 406 v6 as my daily now after a few years in a 6 or my 205si. I love my 6 but wanted to keep the k's down and the 406 is just a smoother ride. But lacks the excitement a 6 offers.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
    I'm obviously a big 205 fan, but I do wonder about people saying things like this. I think the legend of the 205 is often much more than the reality.

The reality is that a standard 205 has a fairly ordinary and unexciting engine. It sounds flat with no exhaust note and the car is nothing special in a straight line. I remember being disappointed when I first had my Classic and went for a long fang along Bells Line of Road I couldn't get away from a Kia Rio. I've driven plenty of 205's and that Classic was a good one for a standard car. I suspect the Kia driver was pushing it and I was faster in any really tight corners, but he would catch me immediately on any hill.

Now wouldn't it be good if we could combine the best of the GTi6 with a 205....
    You are absolutely right. The excitement comes from the mating of a torquey engine with a low geared 'box. You take off like a cut cat and screech tires and so on and you're doing about 30km/h and by 110 the racket inside is enough to send you to the loony bin and the engine won't spin much faster than that. Of course it feels much faster than it really is, but that's what counts as far as your butt is concerned.

Mine feels like it kicks you in the butt when you plant it and I don't care how fast it goes. It's fast enough to ruin my licence.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    You are absolutely right. The excitement comes from the mating of a torquey engine with a low geared 'box. You take off like a cut cat and screech tires and so on and you're doing about 30km/h and by 110 the racket inside is enough to send you to the loony bin and the engine won't spin much faster than that. Of course it feels much faster than it really is, but that's what counts as far as your butt is concerned.

Mine feels like it kicks you in the butt when you plant it and I don't care how fast it goes. It's fast enough to ruin my licence.
    Try doing this in mine with 25% more torque and a lower diff than standard. It will chirp into 3rd. Though I think it is reasonably fast, when I have a look in the rear vision mirror at the cars behind (or where they are) when blasting from the lights. It helps an old bloke to have a bit of fun.
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

I used to think my S16 was reasonably fast (I'm sure it is not as fast now as it was when it was new) I used to take on V8's and generally held them off till I had to change to 3rd, then they would leave me behind. It was one day when I was blasting out of the toll gates of the M4 (heading to the city) when I guy in a late model RX7 took off at the same time. He left me like I was standing still and I was on full throttle in first! At that point I realised that I wasn't fast!!

But it has never been about straight line speed with me, the handling is what I love about the car!

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

I feel like the take off from the 406 manual feels like it's got a lot more punch. But round a corner it feels like a boat. If I'm doing 70 in the 406 it feels like I'm doing 40. But 70 in the 6 feels like 110.

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
    I used to think my S16 was reasonably fast (I'm sure it is not as fast now as it was when it was new) I used to take on V8's and generally held them off till I had to change to 3rd, then they would leave me behind. It was one day when I was blasting out of the toll gates of the M4 (heading to the city) when I guy in a late model RX7 took off at the same time. He left me like I was standing still and I was on full throttle in first! At that point I realised that I wasn't fast!!

But it has never been about straight line speed with me, the handling is what I love about the car!

Tony.
    That's because you took on the wrong car. The rotary engine will spin to high heaven in an instant, and if his gears are chosen correctly for the lack of torque and the car is light, you stand no chance no matter what.

Not to mention on takeoff you will unload your driving wheels whereas he will load his. But you knew that.

I am sure that more torque from the engine as someone commented above will help further, but there's only so much grip you can have. Right now, my car has the best correct size, road legal tires it is allowed to have without rubbing on full lock or making the steering a pain in the butt to operate at low speeds and so on (and without illegal spacers, rims or stuff like that).

Of course you can plant all sorts of engines and suspensions and so on, but you can also buy a rexy.

As you said, the handling is key, and I think 205s nailed it like no other. No point trying to "improve". I feel the car is truly in the goldilocks zone and any further improvement in one area will cost you either some compromise in another, massive amounts of money or both.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 7th February 2015 at 03:56 PM.

[QUOTE=schlitzaugen;1325083]

"Right now, my car has the best correct size, road legal tires it is allowed to have without rubbing on full lock or making the steering a pain in the butt to operate at low speeds and so on (and without illegal spacers, rims or stuff like that). "

Only way to go!

Standard wheels, no spacers, though 195 road legal tyres! Buggered if I know what causes the tyres to scrape.

No problems with the power steering either.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I found religion .... I a 306GTI-6!!!!-20091004_motorkhana_njw_3914%5B1%5D.jpg   I found religion .... I a 306GTI-6!!!!-20091004_motorkhana_njw_3915%5B1%5D.jpg  
    Last edited by BIGRR; 7th February 2015 at 06:33 PM.
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"