404 gearbox mount replacement help!
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 404 gearbox mount replacement help!

I have just removed the old rear mount successfully and have the replacement in place, but I have a problem in mating up the tail shaft with the output shaft spline. I removed the bronze yolk but can't see how to get the spline to offer up to the shaft.Does anyone have any clever ideas for this ?

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Maxy View Post
    I have just removed the old rear mount successfully and have the replacement in place, but I have a problem in mating up the tail shaft with the output shaft spline. I removed the bronze yolk but can't see how to get the spline to offer up to the shaft.Does anyone have any clever ideas for this ?
    I've always done the operation from the rear end.

IE, moved the diff backwards and unbolted the torque tube from the diff. Then slid the prop shaft forwards to allow the spherical head to be removed off the gearbox.

If the diff is unbolted you can slide the prop shaft into the uni joint, hold it in place, then bolt up the diff.

It's nearly impossible without a helper to hold the prop shaft engaged with the uni.
    The less one interacts with rude, ignorant, critical and argumentative members. The more peaceful life becomes.

yep ditto -

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    I've always done the operation from the rear end.

IE, moved the diff backwards and unbolted the torque tube from the diff. Then slid the prop shaft forwards to allow the spherical head to be removed off the gearbox.

If the diff is unbolted you can slide the prop shaft into the uni joint, hold it in place, then bolt up the diff.

It's nearly impossible without a helper to hold the prop shaft engaged with the uni.

Fellow Frogger!

OK, thanks. max

Thread Information