cheap ignition coil packs
  • Register
  • Help

Default cheap ignition coil packs

Has anyone had any experience with the cheap (unbranded OEM copy) coil packs such as these being sold on eBay for less than $40 each?
    Ignition Coil Citroen C5 C6 3 0L Peugeot 406 407 607 Renault Laguna XFX XFV 3 0L | eBay
    Last time I purchased i was paying around $120 each for branded items (Valeo etc). The original Sagems have done around 60K and are starting to muck up.
    Thanks - Davo

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

The price has gone down significantly over the past few years. I remember paying $120.00 5 or 6 years ago.

There is a 607 on the East coast of Tas which had regular problems with coils until the new owner fitted a full set of the best coils he could get. I could email him to find out the brand if you like. Bosch comes to mind, but needs to be confirmed.

It's not hard to replace the front coils yourself but the rear ones involve removal of the inlet manifold so it's better to do all three at once especially if you're paying someone to do it. I'm going on memory from invoices from quite a few years back on this as I had mechanical insurance on the car in those days

Generally I found the coils lasted 80-100.00 km minimum, so I'm surprised at the life experienced by yours. With many Sagem products there are some which don't always stand up to scrutiny
    1998 Peugeot 406 D8SV Manual
    1999 Peugeot 406 D8ST Auto
    2002 Peugeot 406 D9SV Manual
    1994 Peuegot 306 N3 Cabriolet Manual
    1994 Peugeot 306 XR N3 Hatch
    1995 Peugeot 505 GTI executive
    1976 Peugeot 504 Sedan - Now sold

Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

Hmm they are quite different to the ones in my S16, but a quick ebay search shows similarly priced ones for the S16. The original coils in my S16 were Magneti Marelli and they were crap. I think the first one died after about three years (and about 65,000KM) I think I had one die every 6 - 9 months after that. The replacements were also magnetti marelli which seemed to last about the same (I put the date on them with a paint pen). The current ones have I think been in the car for about 7 - 8 years and are Champion.

At $40 a pop you can buy three for the price of a valeo, so even if they only last 1/2 as long you are in front (except for the inconvenience). I always keep a spare in the car, but from the sounds of it, changing them on the V6 is a pain.

edit: just thought of something... to be fair I did have problems with the thermostat early on (regularly) and the car ran 10deg hotter than it should for some time (multiple times), so that extra 10deg would have definitely had an impact on the longevity. I now know if the car has trouble getting up to temp (on cold days) and runs hotter than 90 on warm days that I need to replace the thermostat again.. Does your car run hot?

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

No Tony. Runs spot on and doesn't have the cam cover oil leaking around the coils which i believe can be an issue (from earlier forum posts). A rear coil failed a month ago while I was away and fortunately I had 3 spares in boot plus spare spark plugs, so wife's mechanic only charged labour. Still set us back nearly $400! He obviously took his time.
    I want to get another 3 new coils for the front, as I figure they may not be far away, although the front bank runs a little cooler I believe. Hence the internet search and this post. Cheers - Davo

Have just ordered Valeo coils from eaiaust
    Ignition Coil Renault Laguna Peugeot 406 407 607 Citroen C5 V6 Valeo | eBay
    At $69 each (plus postage) they're not that far off the mark.
    Thanks - Davo

Yes that seems a decent price for a genuine item!!

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

Fellow Frogger!

From reading this forum over the years I thought the only reliable coils for the V6 s are Delphi !

Well, 3 years and about 17000ks later I had a Valeo unit fail suddenly the other day on a long road trip, miles from home and about 20ks from civilisation! Pollution warning, rough as guts under load with no power and finally catalytic converter warning before pulling into a safe spot with telco.
    Fortunately, i had an old used Sagem unit in the boot and with my 1/4" socket set and flat screwdriver started work after things had cooled a bit. Found #4 had failed for no obvious reason ... no oil or moisture present and engine temps had been spot on. An hour later we were mobile once more.
    Today, Peugeot tech tells me white top Delphi are the go and they operate at a different revised frequency, and should replace all 6 at a time with no mixing of brands. I had replaced Sagem's with 2 Delphi and 4 Valeo's when i last had trouble. At $138 each for the Delphi (Part # 5970-94) from Peugeot Australia ..... I don't think so!
    Today I have located a more affordable source of the Delphi coils off eBay.
    Delphi GN10240-12B1 12 V Ignition Coil Replaces 5970.77 5970.94 | eBay

Hope this helps!

Fellow Frogger

You'd think the Valeo coils should last a bit longer than that. I've been told some coil faults are phantoms and just swapping them around can fix it. However, I did cut open some old Sagem coils years ago and it was obvious the insulation had cracked and they'd shorted internally. The Delphi coils were the replacements for the Sagem coils. The top is different and filled with a white encapsulant, the top being all plastic on the Sagem coils. Put them on at least the rear bank and then keep spares in the boot to change the front bank Sagem coils when they finally fail, which they do. It's not worth using unknown generic items on the rear bank due to the labour to R&R the manifold. These days you can probably scavenge Delphi coils from the growing number of wrecks out there.

I have one new type coil for sale

Thread Information