• Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fordman

Thread: Best safest way to remove airbag from steering wheel

Fellow Frogger!

Default Best safest way to remove airbag from steering wheel

Gday All,
    I've got 307 and I need to swap over the steering wheel as this current one is peeling and I'm getting it repaired and in mean time I have a loan one from another 307.
    what is the safest way to remove and disconnect the airbag from it?
    i know how to remove the hornpad - do I need to disconnect the battery?
    Cheers
    AP

Advertisement

Yes, I think disconnect battery and wait 10mins before removing.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

1000+ Posts

Emphasis on "wait". You must be certain that the airbag controller is well and truly unenergised.

Disconnect the battery and wait for 30 mins. That's what is recommended if you are fooling around under the seat for the side airbags so I guess that's a safe rule of thumb.

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Quote Originally Posted by 68 404 View Post
    Disconnect the battery and wait for 30 mins.
    Dave
    Even safer still.....

Do the battery/30 min thing, then get the person who you have organised to remove the airbag to start removing it.

A bit like when working on roofs or ladders...Someone apart from the person doing all the work needs to standby and fulfil the very important role of calling the ambulance in an emergency.

Jo

Reminder of what can happen if one lacks respect for airbag, or is too drunk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rioPxrj1DG4
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Care and common sense apply, it is VERY hard to trigger an airbag though. Work reaching in from the side, with your head out the car.

Have not hard of one going off unplanned here in a workshop environment.

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Even safer still.....

Do the battery/30 min thing, then get the person who you have organised to remove the airbag to start removing it.

A bit like when working on roofs or ladders...Someone apart from the person doing all the work needs to standby and fulfil the very important role of calling the ambulance in an emergency.

Jo

This is the same approach employed when testing an electrical appliance you've just "fixed".

To feel safer when changing steering wheel:

As above, disconnect battery for recommended time to de-energise the electronics. Seems a fairly standard procedure in many makes of vehicles.

Then airbag assembly can usually be simply removed from wheel with couple of screws, and harness plug disconnected just behind assembly. Carry assembly to other side of workshop (don't drop it) and carefully place it on the floor with the airbag facing UP. (Just in case it goes off, it then won't put the metal backing of the assembly through the roof, or kill someone!). Recommended procedure.

You then feel a lot safer working on the wheel, or instrument panel.
    JohnW likes this.
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

Fellow Frogger!

Thank you for your replies guys...
    Is there a specific procedure after I restore (re-connect the battery) or just do it normal ie. start the car and let the computer re-learn everything?
    Cheers
    AP

Fellow Frogger!

Jobs done - I was impatient (since I had a spare airbag) I changed it over after 15mins disconnecting the battery. Now I have 307cc steering wheel, much better than 307 standard which was peeling bad.
    Thanks once again.
    Cheers
    AP

Good work. Too late for me to reply, but when I removed mine, I also disconnected the airbag computer which is found under the cupholder in the centre console - as advised by the Haynes manual. As you now know, the process is ridiculously easy. Insert a screwdriver into the hole on the side, pop it out, repeat on the other side and bob's your auntie!

Unfortunately for me, my airbag light is still lit with a "low resistance - Driver's airbag" message from the ECU. I believe I am up for a new clockspring to resolve this one.
    Any assistance with the clockspring replacement (and the source of a good replacement) would be awesome.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by borosa View Post
    Good work. Too late for me to reply, but when I removed mine, I also disconnected the airbag computer which is found under the cupholder in the centre console - as advised by the Haynes manual. As you now know, the process is ridiculously easy. Insert a screwdriver into the hole on the side, pop it out, repeat on the other side and bob's your auntie!

Unfortunately for me, my airbag light is still lit with a "low resistance - Driver's airbag" message from the ECU. I believe I am up for a new clockspring to resolve this one.
    Any assistance with the clockspring replacement (and the source of a good replacement) would be awesome.

What is clockspring?
    Cheers
    AP

It's the bit he broke.

No, it forms an inseparable part of the COMMS hub. Prior to removal you must center the wheels, then after careful extraction of the steering wheel you make sure the small indexing marks align on the clockspring inner and outer. It's possible to put them in a whole turn wrong - which doesn't help their service life.

Thanks Addo... Yeah, not a job for the faint of heart, or something to attempt in under 3 hours! Pretty critical part so I want to get it repaired sooner rather than later despite it not stopping me from using the car.

Thread Information