309 GTi square steering wheel center
  • Register
  • Help

Default 309 GTi square steering wheel center

anyone recommend what kind of paint to paint the red GTi lining on the plastic?

the center square part. The 'GTi' panel comes off and clips on, so it looks like it can be replaced. I didn't realise that mine was painted in

Side note these steering wheels are much sturdier and stiffer than the s1/s2/s3 steering wheels. Good buy

Advertisement

Last edited by lion5; 29th January 2015 at 10:51 PM.

I can't get over what an amateur job that paint was! Nasty. At least it should come off with ethanolamine and an overnight soak.

Would go with an acrylic touch up paint in Rouge Lucifer myself.

I used thinners and some oven cleaner in an overnight soak to let it get rid of the previous crap, it got rid of most of it.

was too impatient trying to find the proper colour, i used 'cherry red' from bunnings, the 'satin' finish turned out still to be too glossy on the black.

on the leather for the wheel, i gave it a real good clean with shampoo, then gave it a linseed oil polish, waited for that to dry off, then did a run of shoe polish (paste) and then waxed it. all those blemishes are barely visible now and the wheel looks quite good.

cleaned up - it looks better on the picture than it actually is, white shit and scratches everywhere after i got the paint off.

single coat of a supposedly 'satin finish' black spraypaint. i only gave it one coat as it was too shiny

done. Looks crap still but a million times better than the shit that was there. Didn't put it on wheel yet as paint is drying. Will use my dslr camera on it all once its in the car.

I'm happier with the job i did on the steering wheel leather more than anything else to be honest. Will track progress on restoring the 2-spoke on the 205

black in the center is way too shiny for anything else.. The red is a bit too cherry like. Should've been more patient

Last edited by lion5; 31st January 2015 at 11:01 PM.

here it is finally in the car

had to remove bits of the dash to check for clearance. fortunately nothing needs to be shaven off though some UK folk have done so.

my only qualm is the S1 grey against this black... that's the only thing holding back how well it 'matches' my s1 oh well. Worth it for the time being.. Possible project of converting grey --> black? who knows. Maybe if I'm made redundant at work i might be bored enough to do that

Thread Information