406 Coupe general questions
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By It's French

Thread: 406 Coupe general questions

Tadpole

Default 406 Coupe general questions

Hi guys I am the new owner of a 2001 D9 Coupe fully optioned and am wrapped to be back in the club

I have a few questions I would really appreciate some advice on:

1. I have seen some pics of the clear part of the rear lights tinted (or something like that) red, to make the whole light one colour. Any ideas how to do this?

2. I want to l

Advertisement

Tadpole

(A finger slips and sends out a half finished post!)
    Continued:

2. I want to lower the car. I have seen eibach 25mm and some cheaper 40mm springs. Is 40 excessive or what you need (it's sits quite high at the back stock)?
    Coil overs an option or a waste of money?

3. It has tan interior and I want to do the glove box tan (like I have seen in a lot of photos), under the steering wheel tan and part of the centre console tan. Anyone know how to do this?

4. It has 111,000ks and im not sure (yet) if its been done but no dramas if it isnt. When is the cambelt due in the 155kw? Or is it the same as the 144kw (which from memory is around 120k?)

5. There's a way to set your drivers side lock to make the windows go up automatically when you lock it. How is this done?

6. Getting an exhaust first, I have a mate who does great stainless steel set ups. High flow cat, one really good muffler and 3" too excessive? (I do plan on getting it tuned). I want it nice, not too loud. Any advice guys?

Thanks so much sorry for the massive post!

Auto or manual?

Fellow Frogger!

Bill McNamee quotes cambelt replacement at 120k or 6 years.

The door locks have 3 stages - first is lock doors normally, hold key for a second or so longer it deadlocks the doors, continue holding and the windows close until you release the key.
    '92 BX 16Valve (Bathurst 12 Hr edition)
    '93 BX 16Valve (Bathurst 12 Hr edition)
    '01 406 Coupe 3.0L V6 Manual

Congrats on the purchase. Remember that cam belts are not only changed due to the kays travelled but probably more importantly its the age of the belt which needs to be considered. If unsure, get it done anyway. 'Googleing' changing interior car colour' brings up some interesting results. Do your research well as I know it can be done successfully if done properly.

Tadpole

It's manual Addo

Question 3, 4, 5 answered. Thanks guys.

Still 1, 2 and 6 :p
    FedGrapes likes this.

For Q1, a quick search below reveals many options.....
    https://www.google.com.au/search?q=p...+light+CLUSTER

Default 406 Coupe general questions

Hey mate, congrats on the purchase. To try and answer some of your remaining questions:

2. I had the 25mm Eibach springs in mine, then changed to the Ecosse (Google them) 40mm springs (which didn't ride quite as well) and then ended up having my Eibach springs reset to be 50mm lower. So to help answer to your question, 40mm does not cause any scrubbing issues (even with non standard big, wide wheels).

There weren't many (any) coilover kits available years ago when I was looking. There may be some now. Can highly recommend Bilstein PSS9 if they make them for the coupe.

6. Mine had a Remus system originally, but I wanted it to be a little louder. I had the centre muffler removed and replaced with a standard sized pipe and a rear sports muffler (Lukey from memory) fitted. It sounded amazing. Seriously. Had no drone and was not overly loud at all.

I'd definitely get the cam belt changed if it has never been done.

Hope this helps a little. Look forward to seeing some pics. Was it the blue one on carsales?

Cheers

Ben

Edit: Pics of lowering attached for reference:

25mm

50mm

Last edited by SilverGTi_6; 30th January 2015 at 08:55 PM.
    Lotus Evora
    Peugeot 308 GTi
    1966 Volvo 122s
    Clio Sport Cup 182

Previous
    Lotus Sport 111, C4 VTS, RCZ, 205 GTi, Volvo C30 T5-R, Honda S2000, 206 GTi180, Lotus Elise 111R, 205 GTi 6, Manual 406 coupe, 306 GTi 6, 405 MI16 (twice!), 505 GR

Tadpole

It's the red one on carsales 9998. Red with tan interior. Looks sweet. I'm not overly fond of red, but with the right wheels it should look amazing. Thanks for all if your answers! Getting the car next week so will be sure to post some pics

Great stuff, congrats again mate. That looks like a nice car for sure.
    Lotus Evora
    Peugeot 308 GTi
    1966 Volvo 122s
    Clio Sport Cup 182

Previous
    Lotus Sport 111, C4 VTS, RCZ, 205 GTi, Volvo C30 T5-R, Honda S2000, 206 GTi180, Lotus Elise 111R, 205 GTi 6, Manual 406 coupe, 306 GTi 6, 405 MI16 (twice!), 505 GR

Tadpole

Hi Mate
    As a compatriot with a 2001 Coupe (Galileo Green, tan, auto) I can't help to chip in with my 2 bobs worth.
    First advice - DO join the UK coupe club at 406 Coupe Owners Club. Its a mine of information.
    Second - definitely replace the timing belt AND water pump etc if it's not yet done.
    Third - while you're about it, replace the 3 coil packs on the back bank. They last about 90,000 km on average, and are a pain to replace beside the road. The coupe club website has a great guide on what's involved - about a 2 hour job from memory, but quite manageable. I carry a cheap OBD II scanner bought on ebay in my car along with a couple of used coil packs from the back bank. You'll also need to get hold of a T30 Torx socket (from memory) to remove the front strut stabiliser bar to access the back coil packs.
    Fourth - if the radio lets out a bang that makes you think you just hit a pelican, don't ditch the radio. It's a quick and easy fix (coupe club website).
    Definitely replace the shocks all round. I was in UK a few months ago and bought all the parts for a total suspension rebuild which is now almost complete (spare time job). The difference is amazing. Buy all your parts from the UK where possible - 1/2 to 1/3 the price.
    Carry windscreen insurance - you can only get OEM screens at a massive price.
    It's not relevant to yours, but the autos only give trouble if wrong oil is used or never used. Mine gets a 5 litre changeout annually and the mechanic tells me it will be good for 320,000 km as long as I continue doing what I'm doing. ZF claim they are sealed for life, which they have told me is considered to be 120,000 km. Mine is now 163,000 km and still as smooth as silk.
    Cheers

Thread Information