I want a 205. Should I do it?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: I want a 205. Should I do it?

Tadpole

Default I want a 205. Should I do it?

Hi fellas my first car was a Mi16 and haven't had a peugeot for a while. I don't know whether to spend 7K on a 205 GTi or something else (like 206 GTi 180). I want the 205 so bad, but it's old and wondered if it can be relied on (whether it be the stock 1.9, a worked mi16 or s16 engine)? I don't know a lot about the 205. My plan is to drive the 205 as a daily for a couple of years (and I have a heavy foot) until I get my 406 coupe back off my sister (then that will be my daily). Anyone have any advice on 205 reliability?

John.

Advertisement

Don't do it.

They are fragile yet wonderful things that are made for weekend playing, not general commutes. Too old now.

Buy a RS Clio.

Dave
    michael_ozzie and chile like this.
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Fellow Frogger!

As above. Yes, they can be great fun to drive, but the 205 is certainly not a new car by any stretch, and most owners need to be fairly close with their local mechanics.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2
    Michael

1987 Peugeot 205 GTI
    Build Thread:
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...ti6-build.html

Unreliable pieces of junk. Definitely suit the hobbyist/restorer only. Buy Japansese.
    PugMonkey and chile like this.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Get an older Berlingo. They handle surprisingly well and can take a GTi6 motor transplant. Plus, they've room for Ikea stuff, mountain bikes, tools or stealth camping.
    lion5, FedGrapes and Berridale like this.

PDJ

If you want one get one and $7k should get you a good(ish) one. Get it serviced as soon as you get it and accept that it will rattle, smell of petrol, leak and plastic bits will disintegrate if you look at then for to long. You may find you have less issues driving it daily than if you only take it out a few times per month.
    The main thing is that you really want one so you will forgive it when it show its age and Frenchness.
    WD-40'll fix It! If it don't, use a big hammer

Yep certainly not a daily driver although if well maintained can be but it will cost ya!! get a clio 182 cup....

1990 Renault 5 GT turbo
    ####current rides####
    1994 205 gti 1.9 sorento green
    1988 205 gti 1.9 uk import grey
    2001 clio 172 sport ph1 #44/85
    1998 306 gti6. Blaze yellow
    1992 Honda Fireblade
    2013 Yamaha fzs sho Jetski
    1998 Supra RZ twin turbo white
    1999 Wrx classic gc8 sonic blue

I would not hesitate to use my 205 as a daily, and to date have only spent about 18k on it! (It is still nearly as everyone above has described a 205 as though).
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

Refreshing, isn't it?

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

when a mate came to visit aus from china, i took him out in my 205 thinking he'd appreciate it. He told me in the most serious of tones that I should sell the car and buy something newer as it would guarantee my being single.

but seriously, read the thread titled 'how much is a 205 really worth' or something like that, will help you with coming to a decision. It's a car that will need a lot of work no matter how much you think you've paid for it. In the end it's worth it.

As a daily? It's even more fun as a daily than any of the above cars. They need to be taken above the 80s for some actual fun. The 205? School Zone speeds can be fun on the 205. But careful, because you'll be doing 80 before you know it. Lots and lots of work early on, but worth it.

Tadpole

Thanks for all your help guys!

If I do go ahead with it, changing the engine would be the best option right? Assuming it is mainly engine issues?

And what engine? The GTi6?

Tadpole

I absolutely loved my mi16 and from all reports the 205 is better. But the constant issues broke my heart and had to give up on it...

I think, honestly, that seals it. Look how many unfinished project 205s are about. Make a practical choice (and yes, my suggestion was not as whacko as you might at first think).

The Mi16 is not any harder to maintain IMO, and it has a nicer ride with more passenger space.

Tadpole

Well I'm planning to have a peugeot for the track, so I thought 205 and drive it nicely-ish :p for a couple of years. But it doesn't seem like that will happen. So a daily for a few years then ill buy a 205 when I have my coupe back.

Thing is, what daily for the next 3 years? I was thinking a GTi 180?

The absolute last of the 306s might be better if you really want a hatch. Cheaper to buy bits for.

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Get an older Berlingo. They handle surprisingly well and can take a GTi6 motor transplant. Plus, they've room for Ikea stuff, mountain bikes, tools or stealth camping.
    G'day,
    or a Spitfire.
    or a Capri; some will take a 351 engine.
    Last edited by pug206gti; 26th January 2015 at 12:01 AM.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

On his budget? ROFL. Excepting that it has to be French, an Alfa 147 could fit the bill.

Tadpole

I guess the main thing is I want a peugeot (even if I have to put a bit of money in it) to do around 5s to 100. The only peugeot that seems capable as a front wheel drive is the 205 because its light enough and with a worked 1.9/2.0, should do it. But the reliability factor is swaying me towards something newer. Though, I don't know any French cars that will do it (which I can buy for 7ish, and put the work in it over time to get it to the mark afterwards).

Addo beat me to it. He's right. If the Mi16 put you off with its "reliability problems" then you're definitely not ripe for a 205.

I speak here as the only nutter with a 205GTI as a daily driver and I wouldn't change it for anything.

And no, I didn't spend more than say about 5k to get it where it is, and no, I did not transplant engines nor do I intend to, much to the chagrin of the 205 mob around here.

That's the second giveaway for me. If you want to transplant engines, then why buy a 205 at all? There's cheaper, faster crap you can get. Heck, a Fiesta XR4 is the modern incarnation of the 205 recipe and probably much quicker and I am sure there's other newer cars like that, not that I care.

Quote Originally Posted by It's French View Post
    I guess the main thing is I want a peugeot (even if I have to put a bit of money in it) to do around 5s to 100. The only peugeot that seems capable as a front wheel drive is the 205 because its light enough and with a worked 1.9/2.0, should do it. But the reliability factor is swaying me towards something newer. Though, I don't know any French cars that will do it (which I can buy for 7ish, and put the work in it over time to get it to the mark afterwards).
    That takes the cake.

I think you need check your math a bit too. Something that will hit 100 (I assume km/h) in 5 seconds needs to have an acceleration of about 5.4m/s squared (actually more, but let's look at this for a moment). That's more than 0.5 g. For that kind of acceleration you need a RWD or AWD car. FWD will not hit more than .35g whilst RWD cars can pull about .6g. There you go.

Come to think of it, at 5s to the hundred you're in WRX territory. Not too shabby. There's your car.

PS. The Megane R26R does it in 5.9s (claimed). French enough for you?
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 26th January 2015 at 03:50 AM.
    lion5 likes this.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

There's awfully few places you can undertake such rates of acceleration. Better to work on RTs and make a quid at the off-street drags that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdKP0WBs4Ks
    here you go, this is some french labelled TCT 205. Beats an R8. I think it's just a 1.9L tubocharged 205

theres another video of that same car (i think, at least labelled a TCT) ripping all these good cars... though it tends to beat them on straights. That's not a 205.

for more absurdity
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AroqaPtRzxc

There's nothing wrong with a 306 or a 206. You just have to spend more on hp to get the same level of performance compared to a 205.

In my mind, if you've got the skills to keep your 205 reliable then go for it. If you have to pay someone every time it needs a tweak then forget it. My son's Forester XT has a $400 remap and it destroys most things on the road in terms of acceleration.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Fellow Frogger!

Yep. Agree with PeterT above and others!

If you have the skills to maintain it yourself and fix it yourself and you enjoy doing it, then the 205 can be a daily runner for sure. Also cash money is required!!

But be warned - I first bought mine to use as a daily, then it suddenly ended up with a gti6 donk in it! Having said that, even though I only drive it on the weekends, it hasn't missed a beat at all.

205 reliability = maintenance + your time + cash

You've got to watch it more vigilantly or one day it may get some Hiundi from a Skoda or something.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Probably going to be howled down here for not being a purist (fanatic?)
    As you are only looking at 2 years or so daily driving why not consider a 205 Si?
    Not as much straight line or cornering performance but a fun drive, reliable and cheap to buy and run.
    I picked up one for $860 sight unseen on ebay about 4 years ago.
    The auto box packed it in shortly afterwards ( oil in it looked like anything but Dex II).
    Replacement box was $200.
    Uded it as as a daily driver, general runaround and pizza delivery vehicle.
    Routine maintainance was all required until I got a bit too enthusiastic on the Gillies Range Road and nudged it head first into a guard rail. Even then it still drove home.
    Very economical and enjoyable motoring.

Made a nice companion for my 205 GTI Mi16 which has also been reliable.

So I would suggest you get hold of an Si ( manual ones available) and pick up a GTI when the right one becomes available.

Paul.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information