Updates to my 504
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Updates to my 504

Default Updates to my 504

Hi all,

My 504 has received a lot of loving recently, including a set of 505 series 1 alloy wheels. So after a few weeks work to refurbish, they are on the car! The wider, slightly taller tyre makes the car feel even more comfortable on the road compared to the previous original wheel and tyre size combination.

Also...after 35 years of ownership, the car has a working stereo!!! Took a bit of work to fit the standard single din sized head unit into the 1972 console, but after some careful trimming, it fitted. There has always been a stereo there (on old Phillips) with front and rear speakers but of course the new speakers where slightly different sizes so involved some trimming and running new speaker cable properly though the doors etc.

Advertisement

Also fitted some nice sheep skin seat covers.

Cheers
    Andrew`
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Updates to my 504-new-wheels-again.jpg   Updates to my 504-new-wheels.jpg   Updates to my 504-head-unit.jpg   Updates to my 504-front-speaker.jpg   Updates to my 504-rear-speakers.jpg  
    2pac, dishaka, puggo and 1 others like this.

Fellow Frogger!

Looking good Pug72, those wheels really suit a 504.

35 year ownership!! When you are on a good thing, stick to it!
    Overfinch likes this.
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

Fellow Frogger!

I think that those wheels came on the very last of the 504s as well.
    pugnut1 likes this.

Nothing beats coming home to find the postie has left you a present on the front verandah!

New L&R tail light lens (not the chinese fake chrome ones) and new side mirror - L&R tail light lens took 30 seconds to fit....mirror took two hours!!!!! I was hoping the nuts behind the door skin would be spot welded in...but no, so I had to strip the door and gain access from the inside. And there is hardly any room to get your hand up there to hold the nuts!!

Anyway, after some bleeding, swearing and a litre of sweat, it was fitted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Updates to my 504-new-tail-light-lens.jpg   Updates to my 504-new-side-mirror.jpg  

Really nice looking tail light lenses!

Very nice update to the old girl; she's looking good!

Tadpole

Gorgeous car!

1000+ Posts

Looks great. I have a set of those wheels. They've been sandblasted and are awaiting painting. Probably be fitted to either the GTI or my sons STI, both 505s
    1998 Peugeot 406 D8SV Manual
    1999 Peugeot 406 D8ST Auto
    2002 Peugeot 406 D9SV Manual
    1994 Peuegot 306 N3 Cabriolet Manual
    1994 Peugeot 306 XR N3 Hatch
    1995 Peugeot 505 GTI executive
    1976 Peugeot 504 Sedan - Now sold

Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

Lovely machine, I have that very same head unit in my 306
    1994 306 S16 Diablo Red
    2007 307 HDI 1.6 Wagon
    2005 Clio 182 F1 #29

Thanks for your all your comments!

Another few jobs finished this morning:

1. new spark plugs
    2. new leads
    3. new points
    4. new condenser
    5. new distributor cap
    6. new rotor
    7. new fuel pump
    8. new fan belt
    9. checked vacuum advance
    10. checked timing
    11. polished the coil!

some of the above items were approximately 20 years old!

Last job will be a new exhaust system in a few weeks time.

not much to show in the way of pictures - most parts where internal.

Thanks
    Andrew
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Updates to my 504-504-engine-bay.jpg  
    dishaka and Doush_504 like this.

It's been a while since I updated this thread!.

In preparation for air conditioning install (and while I am collecting all the relevant parts) I had a mate tint the windows. Being an old car I removed all door cards so the tinting was done properly.

One job I did while the door cards were off and before the tinting went on, I replaced all the window bailey channel. I purchased 10m of the suitable width channel from Clark rubber. It has really transformed the car as I now have no window rattles.

Next up is some major work to get air con into the car.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Updates to my 504-img_0056.jpg   Updates to my 504-img_0057.jpg  
    dishaka, 505604, Roland and 6 others like this.

After surviving a week of 30+ degrees here in Brisbane, the push to get the 504 air con is on. So after a lot of effort, the condenser is in, 505 sump is on, double pulley is on, the receiver/dryer is mounted. But installing these 4 things also involved many other parts being replaced including a new radiator, new water pump, getting mechanical fan to work properly (small spring behind the carbon bush had rusted away - so an alternative was found in a Bic pen!) new thermostat, new radiator fan switch, various gaskets, oil pressure switch, engine mounts, front sway bar mounts, new engine oil and oil filter plus new coolant. Big thanks to Robert at Le French Motor in Brisbane for helping out on Saturday.

Remaining jobs are to upgrade alternator, mount the compressor and under dash unit, then get the system plumbed up and gassed.

Just need to find the time now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Updates to my 504-img_0136.jpg   Updates to my 504-img_0135.jpg   Updates to my 504-img_0134.jpg  
    Roland, dishaka, Tom_95 and 2 others like this.

Pug 72,
    Congratulations on having a very well looked after 504! They are a pleasant car to drive and so long as you accept their limitations and don't get silly about modifications, ownership can involve many happy miles of motoring. I trust the air conditioning will go well in the north of the country!
    John505

The condition of the engine bay is fantastic ! Makes the car look about six months old !
    Roland, Demannu, 505604 and 1 others like this.

Let's call this stage 2 of the air con install.

Compressor is now mounted, plus I fabricated a bracket to lift the battery so that the air con hose can attach to the compressor.

Updates to my 504-img_0191.jpgUpdates to my 504-img_0190.jpgUpdates to my 504-img_0189.jpg
    dishaka, GreenBlood and Doush_504 like this.

I respectfully suggest that you consider the access to schrader service ports on the back of compressor when you do the pipe up.

They can be difficult in the extreme to connect service hoses to.

It a rear pita to have to pull the battery out during service, and you need to use battery lead extenders to start the car.

I went through that with my 404 compressor.

The solution is to cut the hoses and fit in line schrader serve ports in convenient and accessible locations.

Call this stage 3 of the air con install.

Bosch 85amp internally regulated alternator fitted. The wiring was the easy part...but making the alternator fit took some head scratching and fabrication. But what a difference especially at idle. Blinkers now work at idle!Updates to my 504-img_0198.jpg

Attachment 91562
    dishaka, Roland and Demannu like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pug72 View Post
    Call this stage 3 of the air con install.

Bosch 85amp internally regulated alternator fitted. The wiring was the easy part...but making the alternator fit took some head scratching and fabrication. But what a difference especially at idle. Blinkers now work at idle!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0198.jpg 
Views:	354 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	91563

Attachment 91562
    Nice work, looks great! Which alternator did you use?

I fitted a pre-ecotec Commodore V6 alternator to my V6 504 a couple of weeks ago... and I also ended up installing it upside down. As you say, wiring can be the easiest bit.

Diesel 504s and 505s have a larger alternator, and the Commodore guts fit inside the housing. Really easy conversion.
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coup - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

1000+ Posts

Love your work!

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

I used a genuine Bosch 85amp to suit a VN Commodore. Still took a bit of modification of the housing to fit.
    Demannu likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Demannu View Post
    Nice work, looks great! Which alternator did you use?

I fitted a pre-ecotec Commodore V6 alternator to my V6 504 a couple of weeks ago... and I also ended up installing it upside down. As you say, wiring can be the easiest bit.

Diesel 504s and 505s have a larger alternator, and the Commodore guts fit inside the housing. Really easy conversion.

I've never had any joy using the tensioner lug to mount the alternator. The few I've done that way have fatigue cracked and broken off after a bit of service. The front tensioner lug has no gussets to strengthen up the mount. And you need to drill the tapped m8 hole to 10mm which removes "meat" from the bracket.

A stronger mounting system is to cut 50/50 off the alternator mounting foot and oil filter the mounting foot to gain alignment.
    I've never had an alternator mounted this way have the mounting break. The alternator mounting foot and oil filter only need about 18mm trimming.The alternator and oil filters mounts are easy to cut with 2mm abrasive wheel.

The rear facing oil filters on a 404 give direct alignment without any trimming.

And you have three choices of wiring position, by simply rotating the rear housing.

I did indeed drill out the threaded lug to 10mm but I have also added a strengthening bracket to the back of the alternator which attaches to the 10mm bolt. I had to trim 10mm off the top mount (the mount with the gusset) as it just made the adjuster bar curve in too much which in turn made the coil touch the distributor. I also filed out the adjuster section to suit a 10mm bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by Pug72 View Post
    I did indeed drill out the threaded lug to 10mm but I have also added a strengthening bracket to the back of the alternator which attaches to the 10mm bolt. I had to trim 10mm off the top mount (the mount with the gusset) as it just made the adjuster bar curve in too much which in turn made the coil touch the distributor. I also filed out the adjuster section to suit a 10mm bolt.
    Best of luck, but every alternator I've mounted off the tensioner lug , has in time, had the lug break off with a fatigue crack about 2mm from the alternator casing. And Air compressors cycling alway seemed to shorten the time it took it took break.

You might get away it , not being a daily driver (?).

Gorgeous in every respect. I aspire to match the sharpness of your vehicle. It may take a while but I'll get there. I hope you'll throw me a few pointers as I plod my way through. You have a true beauty there mate.

Sent from my Infinix-X600-LTE using aussiefrogs mobile app

After a lot of work, the under dash unit is mounted and wired up. All that is left now is to work out the best route for the gas pipes. This will mean cutting two large round holes in the firewall.

I'm impressed at the amount of air the under dash can push out. Looking forward to getting it gassed up. I still need to make a new mount for the bonnet release.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Updates to my 504-air-con.jpg   Updates to my 504-air-con-again.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information