307 Factory Tow Bar (Melb Australia)
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 307 Factory Tow Bar (Melb Australia)

Hi All
    Just joined and I have the following question;
    Just trying to find out if you order the "factory tow bar" (around $A700) what do you get with it?
    I know you get the Tow Bar and the wiring harness, but do you get the Tongue Storage bag, Towball cover and a "D" shackle as well? Do you also get a tow ball?

Advertisement

Regards Gary

Hi Gary,

There is an expert tow bar/hitch receiver manufacturer in Aus who possess a high level of Industry standard and consumer recognitiion. Check their site at:

http://www.haymanreese.com.au/index.htm

If you do a search for 307 (do not put in year of manufacture) a listing comes up and it says "under development".

Give them a call. I think $700 is a tad over the top.

Cheers ...... Nick

PS I forgot to mention.

You can store the towbar stuff in a smallish to suit plastic tool box. Your tow ball should be rated at 3500kg in order to maximise safety, even though it's way above your requirements. See the HR site above for info on this. You can also buy a tow ball wrench (try Kmart) which also incorporates a slot to undo "D" shackels. The latter as you may have experienced tend to jam tight. I'd use stainless steel shackels as they are better machined and easier to undo, (available from Bunnings).

Also bear in mind the towing capacity of your 307. This includes its capability to tow loads on a trailer either braked or unbraked. Also very important is the max weight that can be placed upon the tow ball and tow bar itself, (refer to your owners manual). A minimum of 10% of the overall trailer weight is required on the tow bar. This ensures safer towing, and should eliminate a trailer fishtailing and presenting a dangerous situation - ie total loss of control of the vehicle and trailer. For eample if you were carrying a load of sand, it would be most prudent to have most of the weight forward of the trailer axel, ie towards the car.

National towing regulations also apply.

Cheers ...... nick

Thread Information