coolant leaking
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: coolant leaking

Default coolant leaking

Hi lads

My 306 xt (8v) has been out of action for the past couple of days, it's been leaking radiator coolant at a great rate as soon as i start driving.

I'm scared to drive it anywhere at the moment as it reaches 110 degrees after about 5 minutes of driving & the cooling fans are going wild.

Could this be just a broken hose or something more serious?

Advertisement

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by purrr-geot
    Hi lads

My 306 xt (8v) has been out of action for the past couple of days, it's been leaking radiator coolant at a great rate as soon as i start driving.

I'm scared to drive it anywhere at the moment as it reaches 110 degrees after about 5 minutes of driving & the cooling fans are going wild.

Could this be just a broken hose or something more serious?

check all the hoses and around the water pump. how much is coming out when you start it ?
    is it instant flow or just a dribble after it gets hot ?

edit:was going to put silly question here
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    check all the hoses and around the water pump. how much is coming out when you start it ?
    is it instant flow or just a dribble after it gets hot ?

edit:was going to put silly question here
    Nothing comes out when you start it.

It leaks slowly but when you drive, but once you stop & the car is turned off it pours out,

Quote Originally Posted by purrr-geot
    Nothing comes out when you start it.

It leaks slowly but when you drive, but once you stop & the car is turned off it pours out,

overflow maybe ???

checked your thermostat lately ?
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    overflow maybe ???

checked your thermostat lately ?
    Well after the thing leaks the radiator coolant reservoir is totally empty.

Could be a blown head gasket pressurising the cooling system with exhaust gases. An empty overflow bottle is a symtom of this.

Get a reliable expert to check it out.

Cheers ..... nick

be a good idea to see if the coolant has a brownish appearance to it

that indicates the gasket blown and there are exhaust gasses in the coolant

are the hoses blown out like balloons when the car is running as that is also a sign
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Do a pressure test on the system to see where it's leaking from and rectify as necesary.
    1993 Series 2 405 Mi16 [MII-16V]

Can someone exlpain this overflow issue?

My 306 S16 has the following issue. If the radiator coolant reservoir is filled up 100% and I go for a dive (it doesnt seem to leak out until I get to 90 degrees and not really when the engine is on). It doesnt ever exceed 95 degrees but as soon as I stop the engine after it reaches normal operation temperature it stars to leak a little somewhere on the right side (top - down a little on the side) of the radiator. It is really strange because if the radiator coolant reservoir is at 70% it doenst leak at all no matter how long I drive it. I'm beginning to think I shouldnt top this up to 100%.

Is it a pressure thing ? cant handle the reservoir beeing full ? My mechanic suggested replacing the water pump next service because he said "it seems to be weeping". My next service is in January but it's starting to worry me having to top up once every week.
    1994 306 S16 sold but not forgotten
    2004 Clio 182 current

Quote Originally Posted by slick
    Can someone exlpain this overflow issue?

My 306 S16 has the following issue. If the radiator coolant reservoir is filled up 100% and I go for a dive (it doesnt seem to leak out until I get to 90 degrees and not really when the engine is on). It doesnt ever exceed 95 degrees but as soon as I stop the engine after it reaches normal operation temperature it stars to leak a little somewhere on the right side (top - down a little on the side) of the radiator. It is really strange because if the radiator coolant reservoir is at 70% it doenst leak at all no matter how long I drive it. I'm beginning to think I shouldnt top this up to 100%.

Is it a pressure thing ? cant handle the reservoir beeing full ? My mechanic suggested replacing the water pump next service because he said "it seems to be weeping". My next service is in January but it's starting to worry me having to top up once every week.

the expansion bottle should not be full

fill to a level that you can reach with your finger and leave it at that

the reason you are topping up all the time is it is expressing what it doesn't need as it is too full

if the pump is leaking then just keep checking the level as stated for a few weeks everyday and see what results you get

you will soon find out if the pump is leaking
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

1000+ Posts

...to add to what 'rambo said, the coolant expands (-expansion tank-) when it's hot, which is why you don't fill it right up. It takes up more room, pours out, then when it cools down again it's below the top. There's usually a level marked on the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    ...to add to what 'rambo said, the coolant expands (-expansion tank-) when it's hot, which is why you don't fill it right up. It takes up more room, pours out, then when it cools down again it's below the top. There's usually a level marked on the tank.

well by 100% I meant up to the "max" indicator on the tank with quite a few cm from the top. There's definetly something wrong because there's coolant on the top right side of the radiator but as I said only when it's filled up. If it had too much coolant woulnt it leak somewhere down the bottom ? And it leaks after I stop the engine. If I leave it running it doesnt really leak. Strange one...
    2004 Clio 182 current

ok a little update to my last message last year

I've had the water pump changed because indeed it was leaking. I've had no problems with cooling until yesterday. I've noticed 2 drop of collant near my left foglight after I've parked the car on a crazy hill at Paddington (car was facing down the hill). I havent had any issues with high temperatures (never goes past 90 degrees). I let the car cool down and checked my coolant level a few hours later on a level surface. I've added nearly 1 litre of demineralised water to top up the collant. I've paid carefull attention to not overfill the expansion bottle... The coolent looks really green so that's good..

anyway today after a short drive I've popped up the bonnet to find a similar leak to what was happening late last year...

damn what a grea time to be lending my proper digital camera out - had to take this pictures with a tired old 2Mpixel camera

It looks like it's coming from that little lid on the the opposite side of the exapansion tank. If it's just that I'll try to tighten in or replace it if it doesnt seal properly - right ? It doesnt look like it's leaking from any other parts like I origianally feared. It happens for about 30 secs when I stop the car after I go for a drive...
    2004 Clio 182 current

Quote Originally Posted by slick
    ok a little update to my last message last year

I've had the water pump changed because indeed it was leaking. I've had no problems with cooling until yesterday. I've noticed 2 drop of collant near my left foglight after I've parked the car on a crazy hill at Paddington (car was facing down the hill). I havent had any issues with high temperatures (never goes past 90 degrees). I let the car cool down and checked my coolant level a few hours later on a level surface. I've added nearly 1 litre of demineralised water to top up the collant. I've paid carefull attention to not overfill the expansion bottle... The coolent looks really green so that's good..

anyway today after a short drive I've popped up the bonnet to find a similar leak to what was happening late last year...

damn what a grea time to be lending my proper digital camera out - had to take this pictures with a tired old 2Mpixel camera

It looks like it's coming from that little lid on the the opposite side of the exapansion tank. If it's just that I'll try to tighten in or replace it if it doesnt seal properly - right ? It doesnt look like it's leaking from any other parts like I origianally feared. It happens for about 30 secs when I stop the car after I go for a drive...
    Hi Slick.... I had that problem too, the plug is a bleed plug for getting the air out of the system (I think). Probably wouldn't go pulling it out until you have a replacement one (and make sure the engine has cooled down). not very expensive from memory, I think the O ring on it goes. I can't remember if I replaced it myself or if it happened just before a service..... then again maybe I just pulled it out and cleaned it......

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

MrV

looks a lot like a bleed screw (plug) to me... (not that i know much )

i've just been through the whole coolant leak drama thing and it appears that i've knocked it on the head without too much expense...

grab yourself a set of pliers and try turning it this way or that... if its anything like a 405's if it pops up a little bit then under pressure from being driven it will certainly leak...

good luck!

1998 D8 Blue Peugoet 406 Coupe
    1998 D8 Gold Peugeot 406 ST - Sold!
    1994 S2 Red Peugeot 405 Sri - Croaked

Tadpole

yes that is a bleed screw for the radiator. you can get a replacement, but there are 2 sizes. i think you have to measure the diameter of the shaft. 14mm and 18mm if i remember correctly.
    or if you can find the right size o-ring give that a try. i recommend replace the whole thing though, only a few bucks.

i'm so happy it looks like it's not gonna be expensive. I've seen it leaking before (not heavily) but always just after the coolant evaporated on the top so it looked like the leak was coming from somewhere further down.
    2004 Clio 182 current

purrr-geot did you fix your problem ??
    something a bit irrelevant... i serviced my car yesterday and the mechanic adviced me to flush the coolant and brake fluid... how hard is this ?? can i do it?

bleed screw is only $2.75 and I've ordered one today and will pick it up tomorrow
    2004 Clio 182 current

how wrong I was....

went to pick up the $2.75 bleed screw today only to find out it was metal and it looked totally different. Mine looks more like a plug and you can twist it with your hands and it's made out of rubber with a o-ring on it... So they've ordered in something different.

So I showed the guys what it looked like and after 15-20 mins on the phone and checking out some sort of parts catalogue they told me it comes with the radiator and it's no longer available to buy separately. I was really annoyed because a new o-ring wouldn't have done anything. The plastic in the actual screw was so brittle after 11 years it was falling apart.

Booked in for service with Paul Vassalo later in the afternoon and he knew exactly what the bleed screw was and there's 2 sizes (you were right pugtech). He said he had one of the smaller ones complete with o-ring (brand new). Paul confirmed it was hard to get and they're no longer made (expecially the larger one). Mine was the smaller one he had in stock so snapped it up for $5 !!

Alright Now I gotta wait for it to cool down so I can put it in !
    Last edited by slick; 29th June 2005 at 07:37 PM.
    2004 Clio 182 current

That's one of the things I really disklike about peugeot. Their idea of what is reasonable with spare parts sucks big time... oh no you can't get that $2.75 part anymore you need to buy a whole new radiator for mega bucks and then pay as much again in labour to get it fitted!!!!!

Like when I first had a vacuum pot go. You couldn't buy just the vacuum pot you had to buy the entire inlet manifold (at over $800 without labour) I fixed it myself

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

I remember reading recently that you've had your car in for service with Paul this week. How did it go Tony ?
    2004 Clio 182 current

gave the car a bit of a workout over the weekend with lots of driving and there was no coolant leaking... quite happy with my blew screw replacement... if I still have the old screw I'll try to take a photo of it. It was falling apart.
    2004 Clio 182 current

Hey Luke. No shit, if your mechanic services your car, then tells you the car needs radiator and brake fluid flushing he is a very lazy mechanic (or you told him not to).
    If he is that lazy, then get another one.
    Doing that stuff is part of servicing.
    You can do it yourself, it's easy, but some rudimentary knowledge would be a good thing.
    Just do both things to preserve your car. Brake fluid and coolant go off and get contaminated with time.
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

Thread Information