So... the question is...
  • Register
  • Help

Default So... the question is...

2007 1.6 ltr diesel 307 with 287,000 some odd kays on the clock.
    Turbo just died...1500 for replacement part + mates rates for labour
    Clutch is on its last legs...900 for replacement incl. flywheel + mates rates for labour
    Paint is the dark grey and is pretty tired. Recently got a slight tailend impact, insurance to pay to fix
    Wheel bearing starting to make a noise.

Just done timing belt and new water pump.

Fix and keep?

Dump? if so to whom and how much?

Advertisement

Why so much for the turbo?

I can get a chinese from ebay for 800ish. A replacement garret is 1500 from a turbo guy or 4000 from peugeot...
    And, I remembered I have to get a fap tank ex uk at ~300 + a load of fluid...too.

Looked at a 208 1.2l 3 cyl today... anyone have comments?

Fellow Frogger!

There was some discussion recently on the Citroen forum about having a Melbourne firm recondition a C5 turbo for around $800 if I remember correctly. Should be a repair kit available too for yours, but not through PSA of course.

Richard

It's still too much. Get a cartridge for about 100 plus post, and a fitting kit for slightly less again (oil pipe, banjo bolts, sump strainer).

Shop around for a second hand clutch if you need to buy time with the funds and labour is cheap.

I'm told(?) that the there is no rebuild available for the variable vane turbos...

My question is how do you guys all seem to get mates rates.

You've done nearly 300k km on it. What else do you want? Wreck and sell bits and you'll make a profit. Or fix and keep and you'll probably get another 300k km out of it.

Was that the first clutch? 300k km on one clutch would probably get you a spot in the Guinness book of records (or in mine, anyway).
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

1000+ Posts

Schlitz, you first have to have mates....

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

For mates, one should frequently read "sucker". Someone who will increase the value of your assets without proportional improvement to their own.

A funny not very related story happened when we were looking for a house to rent some time back (when rents exploded here in WA). Every house we inspected was rented by "a relative" or a "family friend" or some such hence the current rent was not relevant to what we were asked to pay if moving in.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Icon12

I think that's quite relevant actually, as is the story about the old man who asked to be transferred from one hospital to another:

"Is the food no good?"
    - No the food is good, I can't complain.
    "Is the bed comfortable?"
    - Yes, the bed is comfortable, I can't complain.
    "Are the staff treating you well?"
    - Yes, the staff treat me wonderfully. I can't complain.
    "So why do you want to be treated elsewhere?"
    - BECAUSE I CAN'T COMPLAIN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    My question is how do you guys all seem to get mates rates.

You've done nearly 300k km on it. What else do you want? Wreck and sell bits and you'll make a profit. Or fix and keep and you'll probably get another 300k km out of it.

Was that the first clutch? 300k km on one clutch would probably get you a spot in the Guinness book of records (or in mine, anyway).

Until someone rear ended and wrote off my 1988 Corolla, after about 350Km it was still on the original clutch. As of a couple of years ago (when the engine was out) the clutch wasn't even half worn. I have all the service history.

Wow.

Now, that is a Corolla, and as we all know thy're damn near indestructible. A little bit unfair advantage, but you get your points.

One question though for extra points. Are you a gentleman driver or a brutish lead foot?

I have been a gentlemen and brutish driver way back in in my youth. No, Corollas aren't indestrctable and I couldn't see (on close inspection) that the clutch parts were better than most other makes. It was originally sold to the a government dept, then after a few years to a friend who is a lady driver, then me. I'd been driving it since 2005.

The secret is being nice to the clutch when using it, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    I think that's quite relevant actually, as is the story about the old man who asked to be transferred from one hospital to another:

"Is the food no good?"
    - No the food is good, I can't complain.
    "Is the bed comfortable?"
    - Yes, the bed is comfortable, I can't complain.
    "Are the staff treating you well?"
    - Yes, the staff treat me wonderfully. I can't complain.
    "So why do you want to be treated elsewhere?"
    - BECAUSE I CAN'T COMPLAIN!!!
    I don't think in my story any of the former tenants wanted to leave. Nor do I believe they were indeed any sort of rellies or whatever on a lower rent on compassionate grounds. I think it was just greedy landlords trying to jack up the rent beyond what was legal because they could.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Chisholm View Post
    I have been a gentlemen and brutish driver way back in in my youth. No, Corollas aren't indestrctable and I couldn't see (on close inspection) that the clutch parts were better than most other makes. It was originally sold to the a government dept, then after a few years to a friend who is a lady driver, then me. I'd been driving it since 2005.

The secret is being nice to the clutch when using it, that's all.
    Ah, that's it, then.

Maybe they're not better than anything else indeed, but they're screwed together better. Or who knows? 350k on one clutch is still remarkable.

Fellow Frogger!

Not remarkable in country driving.

In my car once I'm in 5th gear it stays there for an hour at least...

My Renault 20 did 450,000 km on the same clutch and it was still working perfectly.
    TR Magna wagon did over 500,000 km on one clutch, over me and the next owner.
    Partner's SB Barina 1.4 did 285,000 km and clutch still good as new.

City driving kills cars. Country driving is great on most mechanicals except suspensions (pot holes etc) and you get way more stone chips on the bonnet.

Lived in inner Melbourne then moved to the sticks 20 years ago. Cars last way longer now.

Fair point.

I would imagine there would be a considerable mass increase as well with all the red bulldust getting in all the nooks and crannies.

Thread Information