207gti turbo issue
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 207gti turbo issue

Fellow Frogger!

Default 207gti turbo issue

Hi folks, looking for ideas as to what the problem may be. The 207 has recently started to feel less powerful, the turbo more audible and sure enough is only boosting up to a max of 5-6 psi.

Ive checked all of the pipng for leaks, put a new air filter in, but havent checked the intercooler thoroughly, at a glance it doesn't show any damage.

The car has also thrown fault code P0299 if memory serves me right, which indicates low boost from the turbo charger.

The drop in power was intermittent for a couple of days then became permanent.
    Any clues would be great !

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Should also mention that the car runs smoothly, doesn't struggle to accelerate or run rough. It's just lost that go it had that made it fun.

A new timing chain kit was installed by the dealer 25000km/1 year ago.

Would a weak battery cause random symptoms like this? It measures 12.8v connected but with car off. Seems a little low, maybe....

The turbo definitily has a louder whistle to it. When the car made proper power I could hardly hear it....
    Last edited by blink; 22nd October 2014 at 09:15 PM.

Turbo noise may mean the bearings are shot. How readily can you poke your fingers at the inlet side of the turbo (cold engine, of course)? Feel for shaft play and spin the impeller.

Fellow Frogger!

Already have, spins freely, no side, back or forward movement at all. All blades look the same and undamaged.

Car has 105000km.

In that case, look for split ducting or intercooler - good to hear the turbo seems OK.

Fellow Frogger!

Hmm, wonder how hard it is to remove the intercooler... bumper out job ?
    Hoses and ducts are good.

no there is a small breather located near the hot side of the intercooler. make sure that is clean. if it is and still doing it, make sure the car has the latest engine ecu software at the dealer. my money is on the electrovalve which sits on the inlet manifold.
    The wrong oil is better than no oil at all.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks capago. Will give all that a go over the weekend.
    If I lift the air filter housing, is the electrovalve then accessible from the top of the engine bay ?

The bypass (blow-off) valve right on the front of the turbo could also be a possible source of the issue. It's the black plastic thing bolted with three allen head bolts and has a very flimsy plastic diaphragm that can split easily. Read about it here.

I had that fault code once at Wakefield Park and reset it, but it never reoccurred, thankfully. I even removed said valve and inspected it, but it looked to be serviceable.

The electrovalve that (I think) Capago is talking about can be read about here.

Mine always whistled loudly, from day 1 - especially driving next to an armco barrier or wall. I've never been able to hear the DS3 or the 208 GTi whistle.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Fellow Frogger!

Cheers mate, thought I would start with the least back breaking one, and coincidentally the one I had a spare for, and here's what I found ! Old vs new...

Off for a test drive....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 207gti turbo issue-uploadfromtaptalk1414046519243.jpg  
    Last edited by blink; 23rd October 2014 at 06:19 PM.
    addo and SLC206 like this.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for the input all, car is fixed. Makes 12 pounds of boost nearly instantly when you put your foot down now, and that annoying rattle I thought was a heat sheild that's been there for the last 20000km has magically disappeared ! Never would have guessed where it was coming from !

You live and learn....

Well, that was easy

The old one is looking a little worse for wear.
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by blink View Post
    Cheers mate, thought I would start with the least back breaking one, and coincidentally the one I had a spare for, and here's what I found ! Old vs new...
    Off for a test drive....
    This is a great thread - my 207 GTI has also done just over 100K, and also had the timing chains replaced earlier this year.

I've had exactly the same symptoms for the past few weeks, together with the P0299 code (low Turbo boost).

Pulled my valve off yesterday, and it looks like this :

207gti turbo issue-20141208223210289.jpg

I've ordered a replacement from the local dealer this morning (part number 0379 77 "ELECTRO VALVE" priced at around $270 if anyone else needs one).

Hopefully everything else will be fine, given that some random bits of broken plastic will have been eaten by the Turbo...
    SLC206 and steves207 like this.

Fellow Frogger!

Is that a vw item ? They make one with a piston instead of a rubber diaphragm which is an upgraded part pugs never got afaik. The piston will slide into the housing of the old one you have.

Also make sure no broken bits from the old one found themselves in the turbo...

Fellow Frogger!

Oh btw, enjoy the extra power that you have forgotten even existed, and if like me you have a heavy foot, you'll get about 70kms less per tank of fuel !

Tadpole

Is that a vw item ? They make one with a piston instead of a rubber diaphragm which is an upgraded part pugs never got afaik. The piston will slide into the housing of the old one you have.
    Also make sure no broken bits from the old one found themselves in the turbo...
    I just went for the standard Peugeot part - although it came to almost $300 including GST Hopefully I'll get chance to install it tonight. Turbo does appear to be free from plastic...
    I'd already read about the VW upgrade - the trouble is, my housing is all broken so I don't have the necessary part to reuse. If this one lasts another 100K then I'm happy.

Should of just got a forge metal re-circ bov.

1990 Renault 5 GT turbo
    ####current rides####
    1994 205 gti 1.9 sorento green
    1988 205 gti 1.9 uk import grey
    2001 clio 172 sport ph1 #44/85
    1998 306 gti6. Blaze yellow
    1992 Honda Fireblade
    2013 Yamaha fzs sho Jetski
    1998 Supra RZ twin turbo white
    1999 Wrx classic gc8 sonic blue

Quote Originally Posted by Nomgle View Post
    I just went for the standard Peugeot part - although it came to almost $300 including GST Hopefully I'll get chance to install it tonight. Turbo does appear to be free from plastic...
    I'd already read about the VW upgrade - the trouble is, my housing is all broken so I don't have the necessary part to reuse. If this one lasts another 100K then I'm happy.
    Sorry I didn't see this earlier.

The OEM is a mob called Pierburg and you can buy these from eBay for around US$80 (not including shipping). Not as convenient as from a local Peugeot dealer, mind you, but a fair bit cheaper.
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Tadpole

Oh btw, enjoy the extra power that you have forgotten even existed, and if like me you have a heavy foot, you'll get about 70kms less per tank of fuel !
    Fitted the new valve last week, and it worked perfectly.
    Now back to full hooning power

Whatever bits of plastic passed through the Turbo, don't appear to have damaged anything...

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    The OEM is a mob called Pierburg and you can buy these from eBay for around US$80 (not including shipping). Not as convenient as from a local Peugeot dealer, mind you, but a fair bit cheaper.
    It makes me wonder, now that my Pug has reached 100k, whether this is worth replacing as a matter of course. I couldn't find the ebay item you were referring to though and I'd rather not spend $270 on a "just in case". Eighty-odd I can wear if it ekes a bit of performance back if the existing unit might not be quite as..."tight", shall we say.
    Last edited by Thudd; 13th January 2015 at 02:25 PM.

"$80 odd" was for when the dollar wasn't what it is now, however

I thought I'd supplied part numbers, but reading back - apparently not.

Peugeot p/n: 0379 77
    BMW p/n: 11657593273
    Pierburg p/n: 7.01115.08.0

There is also an Australian mob that has a replacement diaphragm kit (called DV+) which you use the factory solenoid on. They are called GFB (Go Fast Bits) and they are in Riverwood, Sydney. This upgrade is meant to increase throttle response, by allowing a progressive opening of the diverter valve instead of simply open and shut like the factory valve. They have a video on the link supplied.

I can't vouch for it, however some of the guys on the UK forums have bought them.

It's a relatively easy device to remove, so for piece of mind you may prefer to remove it and inspect the diaphragm? It's three allen head screws. Don't do it on a hot engine though.
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Thudd View Post
    It makes me wonder, now that my Pug has reached 100k, whether this is worth replacing as a matter of course.
    As SLC206 says, just pull it off and have a look. It literally takes a couple of minutes.

Once off, ensure the yellow rubber diaphragm (arrowed blue below) is intact (mine was torn wide open). The plunger bit in the middle lifts out, watch for the spring and don't lose it
    There should also be a thin circle of plastic (arrowed red below) around the diaphragm - mine was mostly detached and dangling in front of the turbo blades.

207gti turbo issue-capture.png

It's worth pointing out that newer valves may be more reliable. The new one I bought from Peugeot was not identical to the old, and some of the numbers stamped on the side were different to my 2007 failed one - so hopefully it's been improved.
    addo likes this.

Hey guys, I was keen on doing some of the work myself on a 2007 207 GTi, i've worked on my own cars before just nothing this 'modern'. Does anyone know where I can get a workshop manual for it? This issue is one i've noticed in my car so it would good to take a look and know what i'm doing.

Thanks.

1000+ Posts

Can you read (even schoolboy) French? I have always found more stuff in French than English. Eg, Revue Technique Automobile appears to have a 207 manual that includes the THP motor. I don't have one, so cannot give a review.

The Haynes 207 manual doesn't include the THP engine, however the Haynes 308 manual does.
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information