Buying a Peugeot 407 - What to look out for?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BIGRR

Thread: Buying a Peugeot 407 - What to look out for?

Tadpole

Default Buying a Peugeot 407 - What to look out for?

Hi all,

I'm new here, and wanted to get some assistance on buying a Peugeot 407, model year 2004-2006, in NSW, around Sydney.

Is there anything particular to look out for, other than ensuring certain repairs/replacements are done after a car has reached 100,000 km?

At first I was considering one under 100,000 km, but there are few of these and I could save a bit extra by getting one that has done a major service at 100,000 km.

Advertisement

Initial preference is auto and the diesel engine but this variety seems quite rare, as predominately, the V6 is more prevalent.

Are there any tips, pros and cons, or anything to look out for?

Thanks in advance!

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

easy ... buy anything except the 4spd automatic version (which you'll find *all* of the cheaper ones are .... for good reason ).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I know nothing about Peugeot 407 this may or may not apply.

With any car that isnt neew nay more I think it is more important to read through (if available) the service records. Has it been serviced regularly, properly and have any recommendations been acted on - for example, were those worn discs or brake hoses beginning to crack been replaced?

In other words, the car might've done fewer kilomometres but has it been looked after properly? Is all maintenance up to date?

Don't be caught with a car that looks good but one that you will have to spend lots of money down the track

1000+ Posts

The 4 speed Siemens auto box is allegedly sealed for life. Experience here is that the long lived ones have been regularly serviced. That makes buying second hand with a large mileage a gamble.

Peugeot/Citroen manual gearboxes for the larger engines have a good reputation.

The really sweet engine/gearbox combo is the 2.0 HDI (DW10BTED4 or later motor) with the 6 auto speed box, but these are newer than your year range. It's simpler to maintain than the 6 cylinder, and has more than enough oomph. The 6 speed Japanese-made box has a better service history, as well as having the extra ratios.

In Sydney there are a handful of excellent independent mechanics who know these cars, can service and repair them competently, and can get the parts at sensible prices. Dealer parts prices can be $taggering. Ask here again if you buy a Pug.
    Last edited by seasink; 22nd October 2014 at 01:03 PM.

no details... smells like a scam to me ... but it's certainly not expensive.

Peugeot 407 in Crestmead, QLD | eBay
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

could be .99 cents for the photos

There must be a lot of Australian people overseas!
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

Quote Originally Posted by Pogi View Post
    Hi all,

I'm new here, and wanted to get some assistance on buying a Peugeot 407, model year 2004-2006, in NSW, around Sydney.

Is there anything particular to look out for, other than ensuring certain repairs/replacements are done after a car has reached 100,000 km?

At first I was considering one under 100,000 km, but there are few of these and I could save a bit extra by getting one that has done a major service at 100,000 km.

Initial preference is auto and the diesel engine but this variety seems quite rare, as predominately, the V6 is more prevalent.

Are there any tips, pros and cons, or anything to look out for?

Thanks in advance!
    If you don't wish to buy a 6 cylinder HDi then, don't test drive one. If you do you will think that all the others are broken.
    addo likes this.
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

I'd be looking at the V6 turbo deisel wagon with 6spd slugomatic for $13500 on carsales if I had to replace the one here....... I don't think I'd go for the sedan again.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    no details... smells like a scam to me ... but it's certainly not expensive.

Peugeot 407 in Crestmead, QLD | eBay
    Why would he be flogging the Peugeot as he is going overseas but be happy to consider an exchange for a 4WD? It sounds a bit suss.
    Ben.
    _ _________________ _
    A very fun 1997 manual 406 ST
    A lovely 2006 407 HDi Executive

Tadpole

easy ... buy anything except the 4spd automatic version (which you'll find *all* of the cheaper ones are .... for good reason ).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Cheers. Will look out for the 6 speed auto. I find that the early Comfort model seems to have the 4 speed. Executive and Sports seem to have the 6 speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Chisholm View Post
    In other words, the car might've done fewer kilomometres but has it been looked after properly? Is all maintenance up to date?
    Cheers, will keep in this mind.

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    The 4 speed Siemens auto box is allegedly sealed for life. Experience here is that the long lived ones have been regularly serviced. That makes buying second hand with a large mileage a gamble.

Peugeot/Citroen manual gearboxes for the larger engines have a good reputation.

The really sweet engine/gearbox combo is the 2.0 HDI (DW10BTED4 or later motor) with the 6 auto speed box, but these are newer than your year range. It's simpler to maintain than the 6 cylinder, and has more than enough oomph. The 6 speed Japanese-made box has a better service history, as well as having the extra ratios.

In Sydney there are a handful of excellent independent mechanics who know these cars, can service and repair them competently, and can get the parts at sensible prices. Dealer parts prices can be $taggering. Ask here again if you buy a Pug.
    Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGRR View Post
    If you don't wish to buy a 6 cylinder HDi then, don't test drive one. If you do you will think that all the others are broken.
    Oh wow, didn't even notice any of the 6 cylinder diesels. Must've missed them in my search criteria.

I'd be looking at the V6 turbo deisel wagon with 6spd slugomatic for $13500 on carsales if I had to replace the one here....... I don't think I'd go for the sedan again.
    Why the wagon? For us, we were looking for the sedan, because the size suited us fine. Anything functionally wrong with the sedan or is it personal preference?

The finacee struggles with long cars, but let's not get in to that :p

Wagons are typically more composed on the road, slightly noisier inside and retain value longer than a sedan due to "utility" appeal towards the end of their life.

Once you've had a PSA wagon, it's hard to exist without one. There's always something that doesn't fit in a sedan, which the wagon swallows easily.

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Wagons are typically more composed on the road, slightly noisier inside and retain value longer than a sedan due to "utility" appeal towards the end of their life.

Once you've had a PSA wagon, it's hard to exist without one. There's always something that doesn't fit in a sedan, which the wagon swallows easily.
    The wagon sits a bit higher than the sedan.... Unless you enjoy the car smashing it's nose, arse and belly into the ground ... the extra ground clearance of the wagon will help. Plus the sedan has a crappy small boot opening (just like almost all modern cars). I think you'll find the wagon is exactly the same size, it'll just have roof height and a more usable opening at the back.. Only proper Citroens had a longer wheelbase in wagon form (eg: the CX). The wagons are wwwaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy inferior since poogoe took over.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

1000+ Posts

Shane, have you considered reducing the camber on your drive? Half the new cars on the road have the 407's clearance (min 137). Take a look at a Commodore. I think the Pug's higher up than a Mondeo.
    Last edited by seasink; 23rd October 2014 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    Shane, have you considered reducing the camber on your drive? Half the new cars on the road have the 407's clearance (min 137). Take a look at a Commodore.
    my drive is ok, it's everyone elses that is the problem... eg: just about every petrol station, supermarket ...etc... Low will work if you don't have overhang.......... The poogoe has LOTS of front end overhang, the towbar at the back only sticks out a couple of inches..... You could call it the "bang, thud" 'cos that's what is mostly does ................. against the ground.

You want to try those little square'ish shaped speed humps often bolted to the road in caravan parks ..... bloody bang as the ludicrously low thing smashes it belly and sills into the speed hump. everything else cruises over at speed.... were doing 0.0005 of walking pace riding the clutch in 1st gear
    It's stupidly, stupidly low, it's the only way to describe it.

It's a family sedan .... not a performance car, so why the stupidly low suspension... why is the suspension like bloody concrete
    Last edited by DoubleChevron; 23rd October 2014 at 01:56 PM.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

1000+ Posts

FWIW, I have no problem with the Mondeo at all, ground clearance wise.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

And I thought it was just me! After a lifetime (I've just turned 6o) of many 504s and a Corolla i've been used to good ground clearance. Imagine the adjustmstment to life with a 406 sedan where you have to remember that there isn't much ground clearance fore or aft, particularly fore. I've concluded that the lack of scratches under the front must've been due to a new or resprayed front.

I had a friend who used to have a VR S Commodore ( coul've been a different model but same body shape). Talk about about no ground clearance!

Thread Information