504 wagon diff problem.
  • Register
  • Help

Default 504 wagon diff problem.

Hi Folks.

Seems I have a need to have my 504 wagon diff looked at with a view to re bearing it and or some TLC as well.

My question is does anybody know any one in the differential business in QLD who one would trust to such a job, as this is a bit out of my league and my mate Colin H who is very good on Pug diffs is in Melb.

I thought I had the full workshop manual for this diff on a usb but my file only covers the sedan type diffs and not the 'bango' style.

Advertisement

Advice appreciated.
    Cheers.
    Pughead
    Last edited by Pughead2; 20th October 2014 at 05:46 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

Hello David,

It may be an option to buy another LSD from a GTi wagon which from memory is what you have in your wagon. They maybe a bit easier to find now with cars retired for other reasons.

I put bearings into my LSD and to do this I made up a socket from a bit of pipe heated up with wings welded onto it to hold the pinion nut.
    To turn the pinion (and undo the pinion with the nut clamped) I welded a nut onto the end of a female driveshaft spline and turned it with a 1m breaker bar.

I had no real idea what I was doing when I started and it was quite easy. Replace the bearings and put it back the way it came apart. The only mistake I made was to make sure the double row of splines on the left (?) hand side line up so the axle can slide in....look in one end and you will see the gap in the splines of the LSD before you pull it apart.

My bearings came from Lewin in Brisbane.

I can email you photos of the tools but I cant do it here.

Good luck Bob

Thanks Bob.
    I dont really want to buy another diff as the LSD Center in mine is pretty sound ( or so I was told). My ideal would be to just get it sorted by someone who knows these diffs.
    Cheers.
    Pughead

Fellow Frogger!

You'll buy a good SH diff for a couple of hundred but it will cost you a heap more than that to re-bearing yours. Any diff place will be able to do it, there is really nothing unusual except the type of limited slip.

Cheers

Jim

Thanks Jim. Freight is the killer here, and I really want to keep the lsd function.Im considering a rebearing in Cairns.
    Cheers
    Pughead

Thread Information