405 Mi16 headlight fuse & relays
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default 405 Mi16 headlight fuse & relays

Hi all,

Where are the fuses for the headlights on an Mi16 S1? I've never looked for them before, but the owner's manual fuse list, and other fuse lists on the net, don't show there are any, but I can't see that being the case!

Also, are there any relays in the headlight circuit? I just assumed some of the ones on the board in front of the drivers right leg would be, but no.

Just asking as I'm finally getting round to putting some relays in coming off the power distribution block behind the LH headlight to help the voltage at the lights, and got to thinking. It won't affect my installation which will have relays down at the lights, but I'm intrigued.

Advertisement

Stuey
    Last edited by Stuey; 20th October 2014 at 02:41 PM.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

There is a high/low beam relay, the circuit is a head-bender. I can't remember quite why (would have to look again) but from memory a standard booster relay install can result in the high/low relay latching on high, until you turn the headlights right off.

1000+ Posts

Geez Addo, embarrassingly I didn't even think of looking at the wiring diagram. I was more thinking of the physical location of the relays but I see on the w/diagram there are a couple of relays and the lights do go through fuses, but they just don't seem to detail this in the owner's manual. I was flicking the lights on and off / high and couldn't hear the relays click so assumed they weren't for the lights.

Thanks for the heads up about the unusual circuit; I'll nut that out once I've had a look at the circuit diagram. I'm getting about 11 volts at the lights with the engine running, so they are DULL. According to bulb mfr specs, at the voltage I have, they are about half as bright as they should be.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

I had really dull, yellow headlights on mine for ages. It wasn't until I took the from bar/spoiler off that I found the earth blocks at the bottom of the slam panel had corroded.

There are some relays up near the ecu in the plenum I recall too. Look for a 6"x6"x2" plastic box.
    Track car-Steel Grey 405 Mi16 2.2 litre

405 Track car build thread moved to-
    http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index...ic=143279&st=0

Lap times-
    Sandown 1 27.9
    Phillip Island 1 53.8

Previous Frenchies-
    1988 205Gti
    1998 306 GTi6
    1997 306 N5 sedan
    1996 306 N3 XT hatch
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Avocado
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Trak Yellow
    1975 Renault 5 Guernsey, Channel Islands
    1972 Renault 4 Guernsey, Channel Islands

1000+ Posts

Excellent; thanks Jeff.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

1000+ Posts

As it happens, those relays you mentioned are for the lights, Jeff. I believe one is the dim-dip relay (along with its diode), and the other is for the H1 driving lights. I'm not sure what the third one is. But it looks like the lights aren't fused and have no relays except for these two. Addo, I don't think there's a high/low relay, though.

I agree with you it's a weird circuit; the way the dim-dip relay coil is earthed is strange! A possible reason that an additional relay added to the high beam circuit might remain latched on is that the dim-dip relay coil is connected to the high beam circuit, so even when the high beam is switched off, the dim-dip circuit may keep the additional relay energised.

However, the dim-dip relay isn't really needed and I think can just be removed. All it does is make the headlights come on at a reduced voltage when both the side lights and the ignition are on, by running the H4 high beam filament through a resistor. It's switched on when the ignition switch is at position 2. I'm pretty sure from looking at the circuit removing the relay will have no effect except to make this feature not work. However, I can't see the dim-dip resistor anywhere, just out of interest. I might have to pull some covers off.

Jeff, have you seen an aluminium canister about the size of a Bic lighter, connected to the loom anywhere?
    Last edited by Stuey; 23rd October 2014 at 07:52 PM.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

I can vaguely remember a silver canister from years ago somewhere in or around the engine bay/wheel arch area. Can't recall just what it did but it's long gone.
    Track car-Steel Grey 405 Mi16 2.2 litre

405 Track car build thread moved to-
    http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index...ic=143279&st=0

Lap times-
    Sandown 1 27.9
    Phillip Island 1 53.8

Previous Frenchies-
    1988 205Gti
    1998 306 GTi6
    1997 306 N5 sedan
    1996 306 N3 XT hatch
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Avocado
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Trak Yellow
    1975 Renault 5 Guernsey, Channel Islands
    1972 Renault 4 Guernsey, Channel Islands

1000+ Posts

Thanks. Searching on the net I know that's where it is on the 306, so that makes sense. It's a resistor in series with the feed from one of those relays; not needed.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Thread Information