Cam belt change
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Cam belt change

Tadpole

Default Cam belt change

Hello froggers. For years I drove a trusty old car fitted with a small battery and one fuse. I am now in my twilight years and after hearing the virtues of the Peugeot decided to update and now the owner of a 3ltr 607 that has 2 batteries one of which requires me to dismantle nearly the entire boot lining to access and has more fuses than the national power grid. It also has a cam belt that is soon to be replaced. This could result in me living on bread and water for months unless someone out there can help. Can any frogger tell me the diameters of the Camshaft and Crankshaft locking pins and also the dimensions of the Camshaft timing checking pin for this engine so that I may turn these up and attempt to do this job myself. I have my fingers crossed

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Lovely. But which engine is in it? 3 litre petrol V6? The VIN number contains 3 letters that are the engine code.

The whole Peugeot and Citroen family use the same selection of engines, so it will be possible to use help regarding Citroens if necessary.
    Last edited by seasink; 18th October 2014 at 02:53 PM.

Pardon my asking....If they need to be replaced when you do the belt, won't they be available at a dealers, and reasonably cheap ?

1000+ Posts

Assuming the ES9J4 V6, polish up your French, pour a beer, and watch ES9J4 V6 distribution accessoire - YouTube

The job is described for a Citroen C5 at http://service.citroen.com/dtt/CDP/d...us_t3_2005.zip

Doing it in a 406 is at http://www.406coupeclub.org/Files/Ho...6%20engine.pdf

Demannu posted about it on a 406 here.
    Last edited by seasink; 18th October 2014 at 04:09 PM.

1000+ Posts

Beano, the locking pins are tools for keeping the pulleys in the right spot while you change the belt, so the cam timing remains correct.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Depending on the mileage the motor has travelled, it might be worth replacing the water pump and the cam idler pulley. What year model is the car and mileage.

607 owner

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    Lovely. But which engine is in it? 3 litre petrol V6? The VIN number contains 3 letters that are the engine code.

The whole Peugeot and Citroen family use the same selection of engines, so it will be possible to use help regarding Citroens if necessary.
    seasink;1295404
    The engine is an ES9J4. I assume that the Camshaft locking pins could possible be replaced with twist drills of a particular size but the Cam timing pin is a different kettle of fish. I have no doubt Peugeot Australia or some tool place sells a kit to do this job but I think it would be cheaper and quicker for me to buy a metal detector and find a gold mine in order to pay for it. I will now study up on my French

1000+ Posts

Bl**dy Hell - Peugeot 3.0Ltr V6 Timing Kit - http://www.toolnetwork.com.au/engine...d-peugeot.html
    Now I know why I use drill bits and the like.

But it appears you can hire it - http://autotoolrental.com.au/p-6398

Ever priced those hires in Australia? Nothing like the American stores rent tools out for.

I'd buy the kit and then try to onsell for 30-40% of purchase cost.

Tadpole

Many thanks for your replies froggers but despite what the ES9J4 tools for sale say I do not think they apply as the contents listed do not list tool number 0187CZ which is a camshaft checking tool. Other parts listed are 0187A and 0187B which are the Cam and Crank shafts locking pins respectively and these numbers are a match. Perhaps some frogger has a dismantled ES9J4 3ltr V6 and could check the size of the Cam and Crank locking pin holes in the heads and block by using the parallel end on a twist drill shank and let us know. Thanks to Seasink I watched the video but I think my engine may be different as the one in the video has a Hydraulic tensioner while I am under the impression mine has a spring tensioner that is wound up to preload it. No not the one on the accessory belt

1000+ Posts

True, the video shows a different tensioner, but it's still a pretty thorough overview of the engine. The other references show a conventional spring tensioner. The Citroen manual also lists all the torque settings, with a blow by blow account.

[PS] Because there are so many more Pugs and Cits in Europe than here, you are much more likely to find info in French than in English, and so it's worth searching in French, both the web and Youtube. Google can usually do an adequate translation for non-French speakers.
    Last edited by seasink; 20th October 2014 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Postscript

I am not familiar with this engine ,but have only done cam belts on Camrys ,and to make sure nothing changes while the belt is off I put white paint marks on the old belt and pulleys ,and transfer the marks to the new belt and fit it back so the marks line up with the original marks on the pulleys. Otherwise it is easy to be one cog out when there is no tension .

Thread Information