406 D8 Interior fan playing up
  • Register
  • Help

Default 406 D8 Interior fan playing up

Hello all,

I've searched high and low here and elsewhere on the internet and can't really find a issue similar to mine.

My 1997 406 ST (2.0L, 80,000km) with the manual ventilation controls developed an issue a couple of months ago where the interior fan stopped working properly. I could move the fan speed slider up and down and it would only work on high speed. The D8 has the resistor module bolted on to the fan assembly and is quick and easy to change, so I picked up a new module off eBay and installed it which fixed the problem for perhaps a week or two, but once again it stopped working except for high speed. As the resistor module was quite cheap I bought another and fitted it, just to prove whether the prior replacement was faulty or not. The new one has done the same thing and stopped working on anything other than flat out after about two weeks.
    Obviously the fault lies elsewhere, but I'm struggling to find information about the manual D8 setup - there is plenty around for the auto D9 ventilation. I'm measuring 12v at the main supply to the fan when the ignition is on but am not sure of the feed to the 4-terminal plug Does anyone have any ideas please?

Advertisement

Thanks.
    Ben.
    _ _________________ _
    A very fun 1997 manual 406 ST
    A lovely 2006 407 HDi Executive

I've seen similar issues with the Xantia and 605, in the end I decided it was the brushes/commutator at fault. Replacement brushes are cheap, so this is worth trying.

Of the four pin connection, the fan motor's ground is modulated by the control board with power being spent as heat by the trannies in order to vary the speed.

I'm assuming you've checked the fan motor supply at all connections between battery and fan for burnt contacts and loss of contact "tension" - feel for heat as the fan runs.

1000+ Posts

This issue sounds very much like the problems we used to/still experience with 505 interior fans - if it's brushes. It doesn't seem to have a huge impact on what the mileage is, though obviously higher mileage cars would be expected to have worn down.

I'm thinking of our 1999 406 ST which gets used every day but doesn't do much more than 10-20 km per trip - on a good day. This car is now coming up to 160,000 km, but I've replaced many more bits and pieces (internal electrical components) than on my 1998 SV, which gets much longer runs. What the ST's history was before we got it I can't say, but it was a country car, so there wouldn't have been interminable times sitting in traffic jams with the fan going.
    1998 Peugeot 406 D8SV Manual
    1999 Peugeot 406 D8ST Auto
    2002 Peugeot 406 D9SV Manual
    1994 Peuegot 306 N3 Cabriolet Manual
    1994 Peugeot 306 XR N3 Hatch
    1995 Peugeot 505 GTI executive
    1976 Peugeot 504 Sedan - Now sold

Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

The 406 is a country car, bought originally from Baker Motors Albury by a cockie from Gerogery and driven by him for the first 74,000km. I bought it from Blacklocks in Wodonga nearly two years ago and have put about 6000km on it since. Mind you, much of that has been short around-town trips which would mean the fan is stopping and starting frequently. So, I suppose I check the fan brushes next - will I need a new resistor module as well? Is it worth checking the fan slider control too?

Addo - all connections appear fine.
    Ben.
    _ _________________ _

Try brushes alone, they are cheap as.

Tadpole

I would try to clean then crimp/tighten those electrical connections, all my fan problems on my 307 went away after I did that.

Thanks for the replies so far, I'll start digging tomorrow.
    Ben.
    _ _________________ _

I've pulled the brushes out and they are down to about 13mm long (measured halfway along the arc). The commutator is definitely worn but doesn't appear to be bridging between segments so I'll leave it alone for the time being. I'll grab some brushes from the local rewinder and fit them when I get a chance, maybe by the weekend.
    Ben.
    _ _________________ _

My fan problem was similar and it was attributed to the white wiring connecting plug. It had slightly melted over the years and was intermittently breaking connection.
    PUG 406 STDT

I've had:

- The connector melt/break - resolder a new one in from a wrecked car.
    - The fan die - new item. Wasn't cheap from memory.
    - The slider on the control unit wearing out - cheap control unit off a low KM wrecked car.

I think the car is on 235k now - I gave it to my dad : )
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

I've finally gotten around to having another go at fixing this issue. I put some new brushes in - it made no difference as the fan still ran flat-out or nothing. Interestingly, if the speed slider was moved off maximum and then back to maximum, the fan wouldn't always work.

After replacing the brushes I gave the motor a test run on the bench, hooked up to a battery for five or ten minutes, it worked like a charm.

So, I put another (new) resistor pack in, connected it all up and turned the ignition on. The fan kicked in about halfway along the slider (to a very low rotational speed) and at maximum on the slider the fan was blowing only moderately. I switched the whole lot off in disgust, and came back out about half an hour later to try it again. It was back to its flat-out-or-nothing behaviour again.

Any ideas, anyone? Please? I can't find any signs of overheating connectors anywhere. Is it a dodgy slider?
    Ben.
    _ _________________ _

Anyone please? I need to get this sorted - I can't drive it in this weather, it's too hot!
    Ben.
    _ _________________ _

WLB

Looks like nobody knows. Unfortunately I think I'm about to be confronted with the same problem on the 1998 D8 STDT. I passed the car on to my son when he got his licence last year. It's now done over 450,000km. He came home yesterday and said the fan stopped working but came good again the next time he drove the car.

I did finally find a solution (of sorts) to the central locking problem that's been plaguing it for a few years. I was never able to find the cause of the fault which prevented the doors being locked either remotely or using the key in the door lock. If you tried locking it manually from the inside, the actuators would immediately unlock it. Pulling the fuse identified as "Central locking" made no difference, at all - which I thought strange. A couple of weeks ago I found another fuse listed as "Central locking alarm", a feature which it doesn't have. Removing that fuse eliminated all lock actuator function and you can now lock and unlock the car like you could in a proper Pug like a 504. Just push the button, hold the handle up, and shut the door. But now the radio doesn't work!
    Bloody unnecessarily complex car electrics.

The latest installment with this saga happened today. I pulled the ignition switch/barrel to bits and it looked as good as new - no signs of overheating or melting anywhere at the barrel or any connectors downstream. I also pulled the ventilation controls out and stripped them down to have a look at the fan slider contacts. They were as clean as a whistle but were given a spray with contact cleaner and a wipe over with a clean cloth anyway before reassembly. The whole lot went back together, and as expected not a damn thing had changed - the fan still only works flat out. It would appear it is only getting power when the slider is at its maximum.
    My next step will be to obtain a wiring diagram and check out what is happening at the multi-connector on the fan compared to what should be according to the diagram. Can anyone help with one for this car, please?

Thanks.
    Ben.
    _ _________________ _

WLB

Turned out with mine that I was using the wrong fuse list. One of the fuses I removed to try to stop the locking problem was the fuse for the fan!

Take a look at the 4 pin connector to the fan - eventually the contacts lose some of their "spring" and no longer make contact except maybe when the slider is full on and the resistance to 12V is quite low. Get some very small screwdrivers and force them into the spring contacts and heavily push towards the middle of the connector. It should work after that!
    John505

Thanks John - I have just been out and done what you suggested, to no avail unfortunately. Back to the drawing board!
    Ben.
    _ _________________ _

Quote Originally Posted by boodek View Post
    The latest installment with this saga happened today. I pulled the ignition switch/barrel to bits and it looked as good as new - no signs of overheating or melting anywhere at the barrel or any connectors downstream. I also pulled the ventilation controls out and stripped them down to have a look at the fan slider contacts. They were as clean as a whistle but were given a spray with contact cleaner and a wipe over with a clean cloth anyway before reassembly. The whole lot went back together, and as expected not a damn thing had changed - the fan still only works flat out. It would appear it is only getting power when the slider is at its maximum.
    My next step will be to obtain a wiring diagram and check out what is happening at the multi-connector on the fan compared to what should be according to the diagram. Can anyone help with one for this car, please?

Thanks.
    Does your (new) or old "resistor pack" look like the attached?

If yes, carefully remove the little disc of metal under the arm "thingo" and clean both sides of the disc and the surface under the disc and the underside of the arm with wet and dry or fine emery and put it back together (again being careful not to put too much load on the arm). It fixed mine.

AND just to please me check that the battery connections are clean and tight.

Good luck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 406 D8 Interior fan playing up-dsc00948.jpg  
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

Thanks BIGRR, but my resistor pack looks like this one - it's mounted in with the fan.

406 D8 Interior fan playing up-au128-tem4-1.jpg
    Ben.
    _ _________________ _

Why don't you take it to a decent auto elec?

My Mi16 fan stopped and it was traced to a faulty relay.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by boodek View Post
    Thanks BIGRR, but my resistor pack looks like this one - it's mounted in with the fan.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AU128-tem4-1.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	64602
    They are not resistors they are transistors same as in a Xantia
    They are cheap to buy as an individual item and replace
    That is to say from a place like Jaycar
    They can be easily tested with a multimeter
    I had the same symptoms on a Xantia and replacing the trannys worked

Quite right - they are transistors. I have already bought a couple of the complete modules from the eBay site below because they are so cheap.

NEW Heater Motor Blower Resistor FAN FOR Citroen Saxo Berlingo Xantia Xsara | eBay

So BIGRR, where is the resistor pack you have pictured located? Have I been looking in the wrong area the whole time?
    Ben.
    _ _________________ _

Okay. It appears that my fan motor is on its way out - it measures ≈ 0.4Ω across the windings whereas I think it should be about 4+Ω for this sort of motor. This would indicate it is drawing a lot of current and exceeding the capacity of the transistors on the 'resistor pack', causing them to fail. The fact that the fan only works on high speed when the relay on the resistor board closes and bypasses the transistors' circuit seems to support this. I don't have a meter that measures DC Amps in excess of 10, but I'm quite sure this is where the fault is.

So, I'm after a replacement motor for my fan assembly - I've stuck an ad in the 'Wanted' forum. Is anyone in a position to help out at all, please?

Wanted - blower/fan motor for D8 406 interior fan

Thanks!

Ben.
    Ben.
    _ _________________ _

Not that it's probably relevant to my current problem, but when I replaced the transistor control module with an ebay cheapie from China, the module didn't work at all. When questioned, the seller didn't even suggest sending another one as they were likely to be exactly the same, I got my money back, no questions asked. The transistors on the module are almost certainly fakes; fake components are a real blight in the electronics industry, and most of them come from China.

For future reference for anybody else experiencing this issue, I'd recommend repairing your genuine board, if you're up to it, or take the easy route and get a genuine Valeo assembly - motor and all. Not cheap, but worked first try. It was a lot quieter too.
    Current:
    1999 406SV (D8)
    Previous:
    1986 BX19GT

Thread Information