406 Catalitic Converter
  • Register
  • Help

Default 406 Catalitic Converter

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with my Catalitic Converter as it is progressively getting noisier, as if there is a hole in the system.
    When I block the exhaust pipe there is good strong pressure and I can hear/find no leaks.
    The converter was renewed 5 years ago.
    When the engine has warmed to about 55/60 degrees the noise nearly disappears but when I accelerate it sounds like a hot-rod.
    Any help someone!!

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Are you sure your cat is still in one piece?

My 306 had a completely shattered cat for ages and a real nice growl from 2000 rpm to 2500 rpm. Different exhaust length on a 406 might cause different resonance.

Then i got it fixed and it was dead quiet. Almost wish i hadn't fixed it after!

Thanks, what did they fix, any idea??
    I got under the car and had my wife start the car from cold (when it is the noisiest) I checked for leaks , none, but when I grabbed the Cat to move around under the car the noise diminished slightly and I could feel it vibrating.
    Check the last time it was replaced; 2010, 4 years.
    Guess I'll have to take it to the Exhaust shop.

Fellow Frogger!

To be honest I'm not sure if the section with cat in it was replaced or cut and welded back up with new cat element inside.

To diagnose the broken cat I tapped it with a screwdriver and could hear fragments moving around.
    Last edited by Bernie_K; 16th October 2014 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Mis-spelt word

Fellow Frogger!

Picture a bunch of rocks rattling around in a vibrating tin can. That's what my cat sounded like when it started to fail, and was worse when the car was cold. The other symptom I had was a thin white 'smoke' from the exhaust when the engine was under load, which I only noticed by chance. Wasn't actually smoke but ceramic dust being blown out of the cat down through the exhaust.
    2000 306 GTi6 'Josie'

Thread Information