My SV D9 Tail swerves oin motion when rear tyres climb something or potholes
  • Register
  • Help

Default My SV D9 Tail swerves oin motion when rear tyres climb something or potholes

Please, what could be the cause of my SV D9 tail swerving or shifting, at every small jump of pothole on high-speed?

When I got the car, it was happening. Then I changed my fail rear shock absorbers and one or two anti-roll bar linkages later. The problem stopped for a while and re-surfaced few weeks later.

The car tail will always shift, whenever the rear tyres climb a small thing or jump a pothole while in motion. What could be the problem?

Advertisement

Ikenna

1000+ Posts

I'd take a close look at the anti-roll bar again, rubbers, mounts, links, the lot.

Tomfrog reported much the same a little while ago with his Citroen.

The simplest issue could be excessive rear tyre pressure.

Jo

Rear axle reaction rod bushes if fitted?

It also make this "kpokoro" sound at the rear each time the rear tyres climb something or jump a pothole in motion, as if something is loose at under there. I have gone under but didn't see anything that looked loosed.

What about the rear shock absorber top mount? Could it cause it?

Ikenna

Tadpole

Worn rear stabilizer anti roll drop links.. it's very hard to diagnose fault by looking at them.... they do knock over bumps though...

Paul

Fellow Frogger!

When the car is sitting in the driveway can you rock the top of the rear wheels in/out from the car? The rear suspension is rather complicated (compared to anything but a Citroen) but that's why it drives so well when it's all working.

A bad thrust 4 wheel alignment did this for me.
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

I would check the front end alignment too. Did the car hit anything (front end) ?
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    I would check the front end alignment too. Did the car hit anything (front end) ?

Not at all.

Ikenna

1000+ Posts

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey View Post
    Thanks. Except my rear tyres dont wear unevenly.

But really, does 406 need rear wheel allignment? Though, in my case, I replaced the entire crossmember assembly, attached with everything on it.

Ikenna

1000+ Posts

I just meant for information purposes, not that you had uneven wear. Sometimes you can derive a solution to a problem from looking at other discussions on how it all works.

If you read the thread linked to, you can see an explanation of why some alignment is needed in some cases; there's apparently an eccentric in one of the lateral locating parts. But I wasn't suggesting this, I just thought the discussion and the links to other threads might help.

You didn't mention you'd replaced the whole cross member (subframe?) and attached parts.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey View Post
    I just meant for information purposes, not that you had uneven wear. Sometimes you can derive a solution to a problem from looking at other discussions on how it all works. If you read the thread linked to, you can see an explanation of why some alignment is needed in some cases; there's apparently an eccentric in one of the lateral locating parts. But I wasn't suggesting this, I just thought the discussion and the links to other threads might help. You didn't mention you'd replaced the whole cross member (subframe?) and attached parts.
    Oh! Sorry, I forgot to mention the cross member replacement earlier. The Lion was imported from Hamburg, Germany. The cross member and stuffs attached were rusted badly, including the exhaust. I heard cars in Germany rust a lot. Don't know how true it is. Anyway, the tail was doing that swerving. So I decided to replace the complete cross member with everything attached. Attached are the pics of the D9 when it was been replaced. You can see the cross member on the ground. I also replaced the rear shock absorbers with brand new ones, even though the old ones were still good. After the replacement, the shift tailing stopped, only to resurface few weeks. Now, could it be that the stabilizer linkages were already weak in the cross member I bought and mounted? Though, they appeared to be ok before they were mounted. I even changed one of the dead bushes on one end of the anti roll bar. I am just confused. Ikenna
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My SV D9 Tail swerves oin motion when rear tyres climb something or potholes-2014-05-21-0157.jpg   My SV D9 Tail swerves oin motion when rear tyres climb something or potholes-2014-05-21-0159.jpg  

Thread Information