308 Glow plugs broken off.
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 308 Glow plugs broken off.

I have 3 glow plugs that have snapped off in the head, while being removed.
    Is there a way to remove them without removing the head?
    Thanks for any advice.

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Evening touch504, firstly my sincere condolences to you, especially if it's an engine with the glows on the dark, inaccessible, side. If they are quite easily got at them I'm still sorry for you. In 1 of the many UK threads I've read in trying to find my 407 2.0 HDi cure it was explained how to go about solving your dilemma ; the idea is to liberally apply WD40 or similar, maybe with a drizzle of very light oil, on top of each broken glow plug tip, leave it soak for 1-2 mins before cranking the engine. If cylinder pressure doesn't clear them then use a suitable pin punch to tap it/them in only 1 mm, more lube and crank again. If no luck then go another 1 mm at most, more lube and go again and sooner or later they will be ejected at a substantial velocity.
    The UK lads are adamant that removal of whole plug is best done with warm engine. The reason for getting stuck is due to a build-up of carbon on the plugs tip. Having read the thread prior to de-plugging my 407 the minimal carbon layer surprised me as all came out easily after hours spent gaining access to them. Valeo brand plugs will go in and they pleasingly have a significant reduction in tip diameter.
    Hope that helps, and good luck. Time spent reading UK Peug threads is not time wasted in my view.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks kelpiebat, you read me exactly. I'm so disappointed, because the car is running perfectly besides this. I'll certainly give your suggestion a go and let you know the result.

Just wondering why you were removing your glowplugs if the car was running perfectly ?

Is this a maintenance item ?

Cheers

Justin
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08

1000+ Posts

It would appear as though the plugs snap off below the thread leaving the bottom section wedged in the head ,im thinking the wd40 loosens it up and by cranking the broken bit it ejected via the compression when cranking stand clear .have changed a few sets on a 405 with no difficulty except accessibility. Pugs

1000+ Posts

Fellow Frogger!

Ok so here is the result. The car was initially showing an anti pollution fault and the mechanic's computer said a glow plug had failed.
    Luckily, before the head came off, it was discovered that the things the mechanic was removing were not the glow plugs. No one knows what they are. Once the actual glow plugs were found they came out easily and were replaced. One was, as we thought, not working. Unfortunately, the anti pollution fault is still there, so we are no further ahead than when we began.

Can you furnish a picture of the mystery pieces?

1000+ Posts

The glow plugs are the only group of 4 terminals, in the head, with a wire joining them at the back of the motor. How were they missed?

Fellow Frogger!

Don't know. There are four small hex heads at the front/top of the head. These are all joined by an insulated wire/strap, so they do look like the top of a glow plug. The giveaway was when it was noticed that there was no insulating material between where the wire was connected and the body of the "glow plug". Would have been a dead short. These must be earthed for some reason.

Fellow Frogger!

308 Glow plugs broken off.-imageuploadedbyaussiefrogs1415185896.264379.jpg
    Here you can see the mysterious part.

I'm not sure what to look at - can see the injector and feed pipe. Can you post a picture with pen or pencil tip on the item?

Fellow Frogger!

There are four of these fitted to the top of the head. They are wired together by the flat strap you can see under the small nut and this strap is insulated. Once the strap is removed, they really do look like glow plugs, but with hindsight you could say they are a little small. We have checked a Citroen with the same motor and the same parts are installed but they are not wired. That just sit there seemingly doing nothing.
    308 Glow plugs broken off.-imageuploadedbyaussiefrogs1415219726.302489.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by tonch504 View Post
    Ok so here is the result. The car was initially showing an anti pollution fault and the mechanic's computer said a glow plug had failed.
    Luckily, before the head came off, it was discovered that the things the mechanic was removing were not the glow plugs. No one knows what they are. Once the actual glow plugs were found they came out easily and were replaced. One was, as we thought, not working. Unfortunately, the anti pollution fault is still there, so we are no further ahead than when we began.
    It could be the glow plug relay, rather than the glow plugs.
    504 GL Coupe '73 Silver
    504 GTDT Pickup Mini-Motorhome '83 Coral Red
    407 HDi Sedan '05

Thread Information