405SRDT vibration
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 405SRDT vibration

My '96 405 SRDT has a nasty vibration which looks related to the drive belt. There is a small pulley adjacent to the power steering pump pulley which appears to be moving out of line from the belt that is causing the vibration. Any ideas on what the cause of this is and how to fix it? Thanks
    Dave

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

The one you can see from the top is spring loaded ,its tension is determined by a larger adjustable idler underneath it ,accessible by removing panel in inner guard behind right hand road wheel ,either of these could have bearings shot ,the bottom wheel is mounted on a plate which is mounted by two allen bolts one in the centre of the wheel and another through the bracket below it ,tension is adjusted by another allen bolt that comes up from underneath ,the tension er pulley has a hole in the arm as well as in the base ,when the two holes line up ,by adjusting the lower pulley you can insert a small bolt or allen key from the top.you can deter min the correct tension ,take the key out ,,also if the lower pulley has come loose the belt will slap kronic .pugs

Fellow Frogger!

Evening tasdave. To my way of thinking pugwash is on the money and if you don't want an expensive repair it is best fixed asap, if not before. A noisy squealing bearing is bad enough, but vibrating scares me. In recent months I've heard of the auxiliary belt shredding if the bearing locks up and if some bits get caught by the crankshaft it can cause the cambelt to jump a cog or 3 resulting in valves and et cetera hitting each other and it's then a BIG repair job.

Tadpole

Thanks guys. I will get on to it as soon as I can. Hopefully I have not done any major damage.
    Thanks
    Dave

Fellow Frogger!

It's only when it stops working that the BIG damage is done. Sometimes stones do part of a lap in the aux belt and that may have initiated your issue. Be sure to have a very good look at the harmonic balancer; some or all have a rubber dampening layer which will sooner or later start to break up. Am currently fixing an engine that died from such an event - it is in a 406 3 yrs younger than yours and odometer of 390k.

Thread Information