A 403 out of a paddock near Bendigo
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default A 403 out of a paddock near Bendigo

I helped a mate trailer home a rusty 403 sedan. I'm into Citroens, mainly ID's and know very little about this model.
    I'd brought a 2 and a half Litre Riley back from Brisbane for him which he has fixed up mechanically and he thought he'd have a "play" with a Peugeot. He'd been impressed with the Peugeots when he participated in a Redex trial re run not so long ago in a Humber, owned by a fellow up Bundaberg way. He and the owner of the car had a great time except that the Humber had water pump issues which resulted in the car being towed back to Castlemaine.
    My mate fixed the water pump and the owner drove the Humber back to Bundaberg.
    Getting back to the Peugeot, it is complete but a bit of a rust bucket. It seems similar to an ID, in that it doesn;t have a chassis. The sills are pretty bad and I think my mate realises that it can't be a restoration project but end up as a parts car.
    He got it reasonably cheap and a lot of parts were included and he's thinking of buying another one to do a restoration.
    I know all the "challengers" of buying old ID's but have little idea of what makes these cars "tick". Is there much chance of him getting onto a 403 that isn't full of rust and what sort of money will he be up for?
    He's probably got the engine going by now but I'm wondering where he'll go from there.
    I've tried unsuccessfully to get him interested in Citroens so when he bought this car "out of the blue", I thought,----- "well at least it's French". "there's hope for him yet".
    I really quite like this late '50's car. Probably quite nice to drive and the suspension is supposed to be good. I wonder if they are "longlegged" with the gearing like ID's.
    So there you have it. I've rambled on a bit but thought I'd let you know of this saga before it progresses any further.
    "Curious to here of any replies" --- Michael Paas

Advertisement

403s are great cars. Is it really too far gone, any chance of some pics?

Fellow Frogger!

There's rust wherever you look. It's the siils that worries me. I'll try to get my mate to join this site. It would be good to get some photos.

VIP Sponsor

If it looks bad then it definitely is.
    While on a PCCV trip I saw a car near Elmore a year or two back, it is probably still there if you want to go and take a look.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by IDear View Post
    There's rust wherever you look. It's the siils that worries me. I'll try to get my mate to join this site. It would be good to get some photos.

I assume your mate is Cookie. I've got a really nice sedan that I did up to rego condition but had to drop it to get the wagon ready for redex. I'm in two minds as to what to do wih it. Could you get Cookie to contact me?
    d

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for the replies. Yes, my mate's name is Cookie. Just rang him, and he tells me that after cleaning the radiator, checking points and plugs and dismantling the carby and giving it a clean; a battery out of the Grey Fergy ---- it fired up.
    He says the engine runs very sweet and NO SMOKE. Seems to have gears --- all good so far!
    He's dropping in later today so I'll pass on the private messages.
    Thanks again, --- Michael

I have two 403's in Kyneton if your mate needs anything, also workshop manuals he is welcome to read or copy. One of mine is good and genuine on club plates and not for sale the other is parts.

The thing is with 403's is that there not very valuable, a good one isn't bringing the money 203's or 404's are bringing so you question the sanity of anyone restoring one, I was going to restore my parts car until my good one came along and I just thought why spend all that time and money when I can just jump in a good one and drive away. Mind you having said that, my good one is 55 years old and I took it off the road to fit a new clutch and thought while it's down I'd better do this and this and that and that was 2 months ago and I'm still going.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

I think they're worth doing up because they are so beautiful to drive. You don't feel like you're packed into a sardine can like a 203 and they feel a lot more solid than a 404. But I agree, if you're only interested in resale, get a 203.

Wouldn't be a black 403 by any chance??
    I sold my 403 in Bendigo around 1979

Pic of my 403 getting tarted up on my wedding day in 1974 by my 'mates'

A 403 out of a paddock near Bendigo-af-pix.jpg

Decca
    Present --2016 2008 Outdoor / 2014 RAV4 Diesel (My utilitarian beast)

Past -- 19?? 403 / 1974 504GL / 1972 R12TL / 1995 405SRi / 1997 406ST / 1998 306XT / 2004 406HD1 / 2008 308XSE HDi / 2008 307XSE

Fellow Frogger!

No it's not a black car, -- it's cream. It's interesting what David says about the value of the 403's. The thing about Cookie is; he loves the challenge of getting an engine to go as well as it should. This is what he has done with the Riley. He doesn't really get much fun out of buying a car that has been restored.
    If he can get hold of a body that isn't so rusty, he'll probably go down that path.
    Personally my enjoyment is driving the old cars. Still, it's fun to help Cookie any way I can and we'll see where it takes us.
    Michael

No it's not a black car, -- it's cream. It's interesting what David says about the value of the 403's. The thing about Cookie is; he loves the challenge of getting an engine to go as well as it should. This is what he has done with the Riley. He doesn't really get much fun out of buying a car that has been restored.
    If he can get hold of a body that isn't so rusty, he'll probably go down that path.
    Personally my enjoyment is driving the old cars. Still, it's fun to help Cookie any way I can and we'll see where it takes us.
    Michael

I agree bugger restoring them, just drive them and enjoy them. But I still do enjoy playing. I mean it, if Cookie needs anything I'm only down the road.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

VIP Sponsor

Now I'm back from the outback trip I could be talked into passing on my 403, I spent nearly $3000 on it before the trip so it won't be giveaway price but still cheaper than starting from scratch. Some of the bits I fitted could be used on the 203 so price is very negotiable.
    He can contact me on 0429939619.
    Graham

I helped a mate trailer home a rusty 403 sedan. I'm into Citroens, mainly ID's and know very little about this model.
    I'd brought a 2 and a half Litre Riley back from Brisbane for him which he has fixed up mechanically and he thought he'd have a "play" with a Peugeot. He'd been impressed with the Peugeots when he participated in a Redex trial re run not so long ago in a Humber, owned by a fellow up Bundaberg way. He and the owner of the car had a great time except that the Humber had water pump issues which resulted in the car being towed back to Castlemaine.
    My mate fixed the water pump and the owner drove the Humber back to Bundaberg.
    Getting back to the Peugeot, it is complete but a bit of a rust bucket. It seems similar to an ID, in that it doesn;t have a chassis. The sills are pretty bad and I think my mate realises that it can't be a restoration project but end up as a parts car.
    He got it reasonably cheap and a lot of parts were included and he's thinking of buying another one to do a restoration.
    I know all the "challengers" of buying old ID's but have little idea of what makes these cars "tick". Is there much chance of him getting onto a 403 that isn't full of rust and what sort of money will he be up for?
    He's probably got the engine going by now but I'm wondering where he'll go from there.
    I've tried unsuccessfully to get him interested in Citroens so when he bought this car "out of the blue", I thought,----- "well at least it's French". "there's hope for him yet".
    I really quite like this late '50's car. Probably quite nice to drive and the suspension is supposed to be good. I wonder if they are "longlegged" with the gearing like ID's.
    So there you have it. I've rambled on a bit but thought I'd let you know of this saga before it progresses any further.
    "Curious to here of any replies" --- Michael Paas

Fellow Frogger!

they are longlegged and a lovely car to drive-when I was a rep in the early 60's my wife found one in the back of a ford dealers and paid 70 quid for it- I saw over 300,000 MILES in that car and only spent money on tyres and exhaust, mostly from Wollongong to Eden and blowing away holdens, fords and mercs on the twisty roads. when she finally got too much cancer to pass rego i got another one for a couple of hundred dollars and used her for parts.I did this for four times, swapping tyres, mufflers,batteries etc., even the plates and quarter lights with the rego sticker on. when I finally ran out of good ones I got into 404's.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxy View Post
    ...even the plates and quarter lights with the rego sticker on. when I finally ran out of good ones I got into 404's.
    Imagine trying to get away with this these days! A bit like grandfather's axe - isn't it still the same car?
    Ben.
    _ _________________ _
    A very fun 1997 manual 406 ST
    A lovely 2006 407 HDi Executive

Thread Information