Adjusting 504 door
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Adjusting 504 door

The front passenger door on my 504 has at some stage been replaced with a second hand door BUT it is not a good fit and so makes opening and closing the door a pain [ everything is well lubricated.] The problem is that the door is about 4 or 5 mm too far back and 2 or 3 mm too low. The question is can the door be adjusted in any way to fix this given that the top hinge appears to be welded to the front of the door pillar? Can the slightly open door be jacked up to achieve this. Also the pins in the hinges appear to be a bit loose. Are they available? Can the be swapped with the hinge pins from one of the rear doors, which are rarely opened? Neil.

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

the adjusting should be doable from inside the door after removing the trim.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by neil s View Post
    The front passenger door on my 504 has at some stage been replaced with a second hand door BUT it is not a good fit and so makes opening and closing the door a pain [ everything is well lubricated.] The problem is that the door is about 4 or 5 mm too far back and 2 or 3 mm too low. The question is can the door be adjusted in any way to fix this given that the top hinge appears to be welded to the front of the door pillar? Can the slightly open door be jacked up to achieve this. Also the pins in the hinges appear to be a bit loose. Are they available? Can the be swapped with the hinge pins from one of the rear doors, which are rarely opened? Neil.
    Neil,

i just got got a set of new pins (8 in a packet) from Lew Partridge in Brisbane.

regards Graham

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by neil s View Post
    The front passenger door on my 504 has at some stage been replaced with a second hand door
    There isn't any fore-aft adjustment apart from putting (or removing) home made shims between the hinge brackets and the door. If there is slack lifting the back corner when you open the door a little, it probably is the hinge pins. But that the door has been replaced might be because of an accident and perhaps the frame itself is out of shape. Hope not.

Have fun,

Rob.

Hinge pins used to be very available. A bit tricky to swap. Try EAI or other. If the pins are worn adjustment will be almost impossible.

Swapping 504 door pins: Drive the pin halfway out with the new pin - then drill a hole at right angles through the old pin (say1/8") then chisel the half of the pin hanging out OFF - then drive the other half of the pin out with the new pin. Worked for me!
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

It's been a few years, but I seem to remember that there is a bit of looseness and therefore adjustment in them. Not a lot, though.
    Undo the bolts inside the door after you have taken off the trim. Close the door till it's almost shut. Push it into the position you want it, keep it there, and then do up the bolts.

If necessary, repeat this with home-made shims inserted beneath one hinge..

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks, gents. No accidents so that is not an issue. I will search around for new pins and fiddle around inside the door if that is where there is some adjustment available.. The door needs to go forward by about 4mm and I think that new hinge pins will lift it a few mm. Neil

Thread Information