Coolant bottle sensor
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jo proffi

Thread: Coolant bottle sensor

Default Coolant bottle sensor

Does anyone know what the "sensor" is for on the coolant bottle. Once again I lost all coolant on the way home and had no idea until I stopped for fuel. I want to put in a pressure sensor to the coolant system.

Advertisement

Via the aussiefrogs App
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

It's for coolant level. Most are horribly unreliable.

Mine is very reliable (now).

It's a very simple floating magnet ring going up and down a core (tube) which has a reed switch inside. The reed switch may have died, or your magnet ring is stuck, or the large outer tube is full of shit (same thing - ring magnet stuck). You won't know until you crack it open. You can try to just cut the very end and look up the large tube to see what happens inside.

When I opened mine I found the inner tube (the slim one where the reed switch is housed) had delaminated (I think it's just some hard plastic) and coolant got in and verschnickered the reed switch.

I made another housing from brass tube soldered with tin and works beautifully as intended. Upshot if you do that, is you can set the height where the warning light goes off too by adjusting where the reed switch is placed. Reed switch can be bought for 2 bucks from Jaycar or similar, any of them will do.

Not sure what to do if the ring magnet is gone, a normal magnet won't float (duh). If I had to, I would try to cut out a ring (or a stack of them) from one of those fridge magnets and stick it to something like a teflon ring or some such thermoresistant plastic.

Come push to shove, I would try to stick a slim ring magnet to a brass float, but the magnet has to be rather close to the central tube where you have the reed switch. All of that has to go through the hole in the bottle too.

A pressure sender is not going to tell you much because the bottle has a vent valve and drain pipe so you might know the pressure and whether or not the valve works, but won't have any idea if there's any coolant there or not.

My car has a slow (cold) coolant leak at the head gasket (to the outside front of the block thankfully) so it loses coolant constantly, which is why the coolant level sender is very useful to me.

I get an early warning too, because now the magnet is so free, it deflects with the coolant level when I go around corners or on bumpy roads. That usually means the coolant might need a refill shortly.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 1st October 2014 at 07:23 PM.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by PugMonkey View Post
    Does anyone know what the "sensor" is for on the coolant bottle. Once again I lost all coolant on the way home and had no idea until I stopped for fuel. I want to put in a pressure sensor to the coolant system.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    First and foremost do whatever is required to make the cooling system reliable and robust.
    Switch/sensor or no switch/sensor, something is very wrong if the car is dumping its coolant (again).

Jo

I think a coolant pressure sender would be good in the head. That would be more informative about what happens there. Even better if coupled with another one in the radiator, but how many gauges can you fit on a (205?) dash?
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    I think a coolant pressure sender would be good in the head. That would be more informative about what happens there. Even better if coupled with another one in the radiator, but how many gauges can you fit on a (205?) dash?
    Go digital..then you can fit hundreds....just not all at the same time.
    My car has digital gauges on a touch screen and you can monitor the most absurd parameters should you be so bored.

Jo

Yeah thanks for the good info. I am a stickler for a good coolant system but twice now with the pug a hose or joint has let go. Looks like this time a split to the plastic manifold on the back of the block. I have read about a 15 psi gauge tapped into the cooling lines but Aahh another gauge? An idiot light and a buzzer would suffice based on system pressure. Maybe even get the level sensor working. But I have never seen a coolant warning light on the dashboard...

Via the aussiefrogs App

...... But I have never seen a coolant warning light on the dashboard...
    You haven't seen my car.
    It has a large digital dial gauge that flashes red at temps below 60 and above 88C. It also bleeps really loundly from the PC in that mode.
    The min temp alarm is to remind me to stop being a hoon on a cold motor and I hate it, drives me nuts, but untill I learn to stop hooning, I force myself to endure it.

Jo
    Last edited by jo proffi; 2nd October 2014 at 11:55 AM.

Jo, what is this digital gauge cluster you talk about?

Its a custom setup, powered by a laptop and fed info from the serial outputs of the inovative motorsport sensors(o2 and oil temp/pressure) and the autronic ecu, displayed on a couple of USB 7 inch touch screens.
    As an added bonus I get my entire music collection on the laptop and the ability to use aussifrogs on my car dash.

Jo

Holy crap! - I think I'll call you Knight Rider!

Holy crap! - I think I'll call you Knight Rider!
    You wont be the first.

The younger generation of car heads are blown away when I fire it up and show them.

Here is what it looks like today.
    Might look different tomorrow, or screens removed completely, depending on how I feel.

Coolant bottle sensor-kit.jpg
    rtsnoz likes this.

The OP needs a tilt sensor though, this will detect when the car is being pulled up onto a tow truck after losing its coolant and overheating.

I'm calling BHG as the root cause. The plastic union isn't helping.

A bit worried about that old technology atop your gear stick!!!
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

Quote Originally Posted by BIGRR View Post
    A bit worried about that old technology atop your gear stick!!!
    Yes, H pattern is just so last century.

Jo

Thread Information