quick 505 cooling question
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default quick 505 cooling question

hi
    is it necessary to open the expansion bottle after filling the system in order to release the pressure?
    it's written in the driver's manual, but isn't mentioned in haynes.
    i was driving a while without doing it, so the level in the bottle went a bit over the MAX in driving, and went back down to the midddle after the car cooled down, as expected, and the big hoses were getting pretty harder as opposed to when i was running a low pressure radiator.

Advertisement

after i read the manual i opened the bottled the hoses did loose their pressure, but now the level in the bottle stays always at the MAX.

After I bled the system I had to keep opening the cap after driving a little to let air out. This happened for a few weeks until all the air was bled. Opening the heater right up may help. There is a air release somewhere from memory but mine was seized. Hope that helps.

Fellow Frogger!

I don't mean to bleed air, but to release the pressure after the first drive after filling the system.
    well, 3 sources say 3 different things as for the filling process (haynes, car's manual and the pdf repair guide that can be found online).

Does the pug cooling system vent it's excess pressure through the expansion bottle cap??
    If so, the process of venting air pressure should happen automatically and need no further assistance.

Jo

Fellow Frogger!

There is nothing out of the ordinary with the 505 cooling system. The radiator filler cap is combined with a coolant level sensor and does not contribute to the coolant system pressure. Pressure in the system, 9psi, is controlled by the recovery system expansion tank filler cap. Like most things the latter screw caps lose their efficiency so I replaced mine with a MGB metal tank and a readily available 9psi twist cap.
    Not all 505s have an air bleed circuit on top of the throttle body in place even though the chamber to enable this is still part of the throttle body casting. In this instance it is recommended that re-filling the system is done with the front of the car facing up-hill on a slope which helps to expel most of the internal air -- with the heater circuit turned on, of course.
    With a proper expansion system radiator cap fitted the expansion and contraction of the coolant is automatically achieved. However, until the system cools down there will always be pressure inside the expansion tank which will release air if the cap is unscrewed.

Pavel

Thread Information