Thread: Peugeot 3008 what i like and dont

Default Peugeot 3008 what i like and dont

Peugeot 3008 used 2010 Petrol Turbo 1.6l XTE

After about 2 weeks with this car here is my review:

What i like

- Great driving position with all round road visibility
    - Steering feels just right at all speeds
    - Acceleration is adequate for overtaking
    - Hillstart Assist it really works (though I miss the hand brake)
    - Seats are comfortable
    - Feels roomy
    - Panoramic sunroof a hit with the kids
    - Mirrors that fold when car is locked
    - Boot is gorgeous (multi-level floor) and clever (don't forget the rechargeable torch)
    - Split fold tail gate
    - Rear seat folds from the rear
    - Trim is gorgeous and so is the instrument panel
    - Retractable blinds built into the windows
    - Auto rain sensing wipers, auto headlights and the usual electric everything
    - Electric Handbrake
    - Can be super quiet inside with minimum noise on smooth roads
    - Head Up Display (now why dont all cars have this?)
    - Air conditioning
    - Fuel average is pretty good (7.1/100 Km) for an SUV

Advertisement

What I dont like:
    - ECO mode madness ( really leave it to the driver.. I never had a problem listening to the stereo in other cars. dont know why Peugeot wants to control this. A simple warning would be enough)
    - Too many buttons for just one function Head Up Display
    - One button to scroll through kms to next service, diagnostics etc)
    - There is no Aux mode (I should be able to switch off the engine and still leave the radio on) Instead I have to switch off the engine (turns the stereo off) and turn the key again.
    - Battery position makes it incredibly hard to remove
    - No Spare tyre but an inflation repair kit(at least on the model I have)
    - Auto fan control (just could not get my head around how it works)
    - No 4WD (my model does not have the grip control option either)

Overall despite some irritants absolutely love the car but disappointed that it could have been so much better.

1000+ Posts

It still sounds pretty nice, though the lack of a full size spare would be a deal breaker for me. I'd like to compare a long drive with a C5 one day. What I am least fond of in modern Pugs and Cits are the driver's seats (Faurecia please note) - those horns on the side always dig into me when they should be beside me. These aren't boy racers. No current seat beats the woollen jobs on the Peugeot 505 - why can't they still make them?
    FedGrapes and Jinandfonic like this.

I agree with the seat belts - though I have already got used to it. This could be a safety issue and perhaps the closer the horns are to the body the safer it is????

I would not worry about the spare tyre:
    - There are plenty of "run flat" tyres available
    - Statistically Chances of getting stuck with a flat tyre is rare
    - There is a "very capable" inflation kit

The newer versions have no switches or buttons with everything controlled from one touch screen. Dont know if I would like that either.

The Eco mode will be a dying or incorrectly rated battery. On our 3008 and also the 607, eco mode cuts in after about 35 minutes of listening to the radio. If you start the engine for a minute and shut it down again straight away, next time the eco mode only takes about 5 minutes.

We bought a steel spare with tyre, jack etc from the dealer. Fits perfectly in the carrier. I wouldn't travel long country distances without it.

Probably the only thing that erks me about the car is that being as tall as I am, I have to have the seat all the way back, and then getting in the car I catch the rubber door seal, which I've already started tearing to shreds.
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

Quote Originally Posted by Demannu View Post
    The Eco mode will be a dying or incorrectly rated battery. On our 3008 and also the 607, eco mode cuts in after about 35 minutes of listening to the radio. If you start the engine for a minute and shut it down again straight away, next time the eco mode only takes about 5 minutes.

We bought a steel spare with tyre, jack etc from the dealer. Fits perfectly in the carrier. I wouldn't travel long country distances without it.
    Yes it does look like I need a new Battery. There are ways to disable it using third party "Planet" software. I dont yet have the confidence to muck around with it.

Yes the well is big enough for it.

Probably the only thing that erks me about the car is that being as tall as I am, I have to have the seat all the way back, and then getting in the car I catch the rubber door seal, which I've already started tearing to shreds.
    Seeing that you have the 2011 diesel model - how quiet is the engine? I had a choice to buy a used HDI model as well but chose the petrol as I drive mostly in the city (short runs) and also the added maintenance of the various filters.

Quote Originally Posted by french-car-newb View Post
    Seeing that you have the 2011 diesel model - how quiet is the engine? I had a choice to buy a used HDI model as well but chose the petrol as I drive mostly in the city (short runs) and also the added maintenance of the various filters.
    When we bought the diesel we test-drove a number of them, both petrol and diesel. We ruled out the petrol engine fairly early on based on a number of factors, but one of them was that it was too damned noisy compared to the diesel!

To get the petrol one moving takes a lot of right foot, lots of RPM and it just feels like not enough engine for the car. The diesel on the other hand is effortless - breathe on the throttle and you're pulling away from everyone else at the lights, and it barely goes above 1800rpm. As a result, you don't hear it. With the windows down, the loudest noise is the turbo.

Short trips and driving around town are exactly where modern diesels excel over petrol engines. The diesels use much less fuel at idle and light loads than an equivalent petrol engine.

Maintenance of filters? The only filter that the diesel has that the petrol doesn't is the FAP (particulate filter), which requires no maintenance other than an eolys fluid refill every 180,000km or so.
    Scotty

I agree with the seat belts - though I have already got used to it. This could be a safety issue and perhaps the closer the horns are to the body the safer it is????

I would not worry about the spare tyre:
    - There are plenty of "run flat" tyres available
    - Statistically Chances of getting stuck with a flat tyre is rare
    - There is a "very capable" inflation kit

The newer versions have no switches or buttons with everything controlled from one touch screen. Dont know if I would like that either.
    "Statistically, chances....." etc. Well, I beg to differ. I can't believe how many nails & screws that have either needed repairing or, on a couple of occassions where they've gone through the side wall, a new tyre.

Thankfully, with FULL SIZE SPARES in my 405 SRi & Mi16, I could use it until I got to my tyre dealer, unlike my MK IV Golf R32 with its "goo-&-hopefully-go" aerosol which failed to work, stranding me on the Pathetic Highway south of Kempsey!!

It also p***es me off that in a country the size of Oz, so many manufacturers now only offer "skinny-minis" or the aforementioned aerosols, both only recommending continuing one's journey for 80kms @ 80kms/hr!

So, for me, a FULL SIZE SPARE in either steel or alloy is a MUST HAVE which is nigh on impossible, so I'll have to invest in spending extra $$ for a steel wheel & jack, AND, most likely lose valuable boot space

I've not had to change a tyre on the side of the road in the last 20 years. I don't think that's too bad for doing 25k/year.

Slow punctures and noisy bits of metal I have picked up yes (even a cracked rim on the 206 GTI180 - a car that came with no spare), but they've all resulted in me being able to drive or deliver said tyre for repair at my "convenience".

That said, I have acquired a full size spare for cars that haven't come with them. The latest car came with five alloys so I'm happy with that.
    2353 likes this.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

The only time I've used my spare in the last 15 years is when I've been rotating my tyres. In my first car I had a few flats (more a couple of slow leaks on tyres nearing the end of their life that I couldn't justify repairing), and I've had one on a 3 week old Suzuki in 1999.

Here's some bizarre stats, I've owned 8 cars. Six had alloy wheels, two steel. All bar one (2005 Ford Focus) had full-size spares. Of the six with alloys, only the Clio and CX have a steel spare (plus the space saver in the Focus) the other 3 all had full size alloy spares. Coincidently, those three are also the three Aussie-made cars I've owned.

My luck is such that if I have a spare, I won't need it. If I don't have one, I will.
    Scotty

When the tyre fitters use their super powerful pneumatic spanners, I pray that I do not want to be the one taking these off on the road. so far I have been lucky is all I will say.

When the tyre fitters use their super powerful pneumatic spanners, I pray that I do not want to be the one taking these off on the road. so far I have been lucky is all I will say.
    If your tyre place is tensioning your wheel nuts with a rattle gun, find a new tyre place.

If they are not tensioned correctly with a torque wrench, you risk warping wheels or brake disks. At the correct tension, they are easily removed with the wheelbrace.
    Scotty

Here is a nice(r) review of the 3008. so many firsts

2009 Peugeot 3008 Details

If your tyre place is tensioning your wheel nuts with a rattle gun, find a new tyre place.

If they are not tensioned correctly with a torque wrench, you risk warping wheels or brake disks. At the correct tension, they are easily removed with the wheelbrace.
    Oh yes of course. This mob uses a special pneumatic torque wrenches.

Thread Information