405 MI16 sway bar mounts
  • Register
  • Help

Default 405 MI16 sway bar mounts

Hi, I've bought replacement 22mm front sway bay mounts (MOOG - part: PE-SB-1632) to suit OEM part 509434 (22mm for MI16 - as I understand?).

Can someone please confirm whether the front sway bar is meant to rotate within the rubber bushing when done up tight or whether it is meant to be held firm and not rotate?

Presently, the replacement bushing allows rotation.

PS - the bar rotates just when the rubber bush is done up. Obviously once the separate rear clamp is tightened, this will prevent it rotating anyway - but will technically be loose within the main bushing and may pull the aluminum clamps away from the rubber bushing.

Advertisement

I've probably confused everyone now...

Thanks,
    Geoff
    Last edited by mi16pug; 27th September 2014 at 06:36 PM.

Doesn't it have slips of pressed tin between the bush and bar?

Yes, slips of tin are attached to the rubber bushing - well the new ones are, the ones I took off the car the slips of tin had come away from the rubber bush.

When the rubber bushing/slips tin are done up with the two bolts around the sway bar, it still rotates, but is held snug.

Thing I don't get is when the rear clamp is done up around the slips tin at the rear and around the sway bar, won't this tear the slips tin off the rubber bush meaning the slips of tin (which is clamped to the sway bar using the other clamp) will then essentially rotate within the rubber bush when the wishbone moves up and down?

Or is this how they are meant to work?

It almost sounds like your bushes are a shade oversize, if the pressed metal is there and there's still some slop. If the old ones were knackered, maybe try a "suck and see" approach with these ones. They might last; the arc of rotation is not great.

You may have bushes for the 23mm bar.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Thanks Addo.

Is the pressed tin meant to come away from the rubber during normal operation and after some rotation?

As you say, as the rear clamp is actually holding the pressed tin directly on the sway bar, and the pressed tin is attached to the rubber bush, there must be very little rotation in the bar.

Peter, Moog part number is for 22mm. Unless wrong items with right label.....

Tell you the truth, I put them in the vice to slightly compress and diameter is closest to 25-26mm.

Here's a pic. You can see on the new ones there are little 'nobs' between each half which I might shave down. 405 MI16 sway bar mounts-imageuploadedbyaussiefrogs1411816634.997869.jpg

On the new rubbers, the tin slips look pretty well attached to the rubber so assume they are not meant to come away.

1000+ Posts

I'd reckon for certain they aren't meant to come away. Many anti roll bar bushes work within the elastic limits of the bush, which is one reason with a lot of them you're meant to tighten the clamps when the car's weight is on the wheels. Some even specify having the driver's weight on the seat. (The other reason is so as not to preload the bar).

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

I'm going to shave down those ends to get a tight fit on the bar when weight is down.

Sent an email to MOOG also - not impressed.

1000+ Posts

They are meant to be clamped down on the bar at normal ride height ,[with the weight on the suspension,] in normal operation the movement is taken up by flex in the rubber ,if its clamped up with the suspension drooping its going to over stretch the rubber and tear it off the metal backing ,mine have always been torn off when due for replacement there are a range of bar diameters so bushes must be ordered to suit your particular bar ,as they are getting old now i wouldnt trust the vin to tell you what the size is, measure it ,bar may have been changed ,pugs

Thread Information