• Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By marburg505

Thread: Just bought a 406 hdi

Default Just bought a 406 hdi

Hi aussiefroggers

Advertisement

First off I have to confess to being a lurker for a good long while - now that I own a running pug I think I'm justified in joining af

I just bought my first car - a 1999 406 hdi! I'm pretty excited - I just love how peugeots handle. After driving a toyota since my parents sold their 505 a few months ago the way it(the peugeot) drives makes me feel at home. Not to mention the beautiful body shape....

I've been into (and in) peugeots for a while - I learned to drive in a 505 manual gti wagon, and my parents have always owned 505s up until recently. I have a 505 srs 1 auto gti that awaiting a resto - we'll see if this gets done - there are the usual constraints of time and money :/

I've got some questions, advice would be great.

1) Engine - how can I tell if its the 90 or 110 hp version?

2) Key - How do I duplicate the key - I have only one key that works to start the engine, the spare turns in the ignition and will unlock the doors but won't start the motor (motor turns but wont fire)

3) Gearbox - its a 5 spd manual, the owner's manual says that the gearbox oil doesn't need changing but with 240kms on the clock I'd rather do it anyway. I've changed the oil in a 505 so hoping this wont be too much of a challenge

4) clutch/flywheel - clutch will need doing sooner rather than later - I'd like to do this myself if possible. ($$) )I've done a bit of reading on this and there seems to be a bit of discussion regarding dual mass flywheels and associated clutch compatibility. I've read that the simple flywheel replacements can put stress on the crankshaft and cause it to snap

5) Cleaning engine - Its pretty dirty (mostly country road dust) under the bonnet, I want to clean it up and this might sound a bit silly but I'm not too sure how to go about it, I've had problems with cars after 'cleaning' the engine :$ so any advice wrt to this is appreciated.

6) Oil types - the manual only has recommended oils for european countries. There was a bottle of bp 'vanellus c6 global' 15w-40 in the boot so I'm assuming that is whats in the car at the moment, but I've read somewhere (cant remember where) about ppl putting in lower viscosity oils (as recommended by the manufacturer) and the engines ran better. Attn 406 hdi owners - what oil do you put in?

7) If there are any known issues with these cars I'd like to know what I should be keeping my eye on etc.

Thanks - I just want to get my Peugeot performing as close to its optimum as I can.

Regards

Xavier
    Just bought a 406 hdi-vin.jpgJust bought a 406 hdi-under-bonnet.jpgJust bought a 406 hdi-formatfactoryimg_4213.jpg
    Last edited by DieselLion; 25th September 2014 at 07:00 PM.
    Present
    '99 406 Coupe Manual
    '02 406 HDi Wagon

'99 406 HDi RIP

'86 505 GTi 3spd auto

Past
    '00 306 XTHDi
    '99 306 XT

'98 406 SV

Fellow Frogger!

All the 406 HDi cars in Australia should be the 110 version, the giveaway sign is the huge induction pipe running across the top of the engine from back to front. That's the intercooler charge pipe.

Oil is easy since the 2.0 HDi this early on didn't have a particulate filter, castrol edge 5w30 is a good choice.

1000+ Posts

What is it about the Hawkesbury? There's no nearby dealer and everytime I go there I see Pugs and Cits. Congrats on your car.

The motor type is given by the letters in the VIN - three of them are the engine code, so if you post it someone will tell you.

The car's on the Xantia platform, so engine documentation for these can supply useful information.

PS Got it - RHZ is the code for the DW10A engine.

1000+ Posts

In respect of the key, the spare is supposed to have a chip programmed to the car. You can I believe program a second standard key if you can find access to the commander (I think it's called) program from a nearby Aussie Frogger. It's too expensive to go through the dealer usually.

In respect of cleaning the engine, try compressed air first. I had a problem cleaning my 306 which I haven't yet solved. Mind you its a petrol car. Once you've cleaned it take it for a run to get nice and hot - something I should have done but couldn't as it isn't registered.

A friend has a 2003 HDI which he loves. I found it for him, and thought it a great car.
    1998 Peugeot 406 D8SV Manual
    1999 Peugeot 406 D8ST Auto
    2002 Peugeot 406 D9SV Manual
    1994 Peuegot 306 N3 Cabriolet Manual
    1994 Peugeot 306 XR N3 Hatch
    1995 Peugeot 505 GTI executive
    1976 Peugeot 504 Sedan - Now sold

Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

Guess its cause we're classy people here in the Hawkesbury. (mostly)

and cheers! good to know. I was worried I didn't have that extra 20 horse
    Present
    '99 406 Coupe Manual
    '02 406 HDi Wagon

'99 406 HDi RIP

'86 505 GTi 3spd auto

Past
    '00 306 XTHDi
    '99 306 XT

'98 406 SV

Take the big plastic engine cover off and give it a good clean. Then the engine will immediately look 50% cleaner. Also get some new metal cover bolts from deeb-176 on eBay.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by hypermiler View Post
    All the 406 HDi cars in Australia should be the 110 version, the giveaway sign is the huge induction pipe running across the top of the engine from back to front. That's the intercooler charge pipe.

Oil is easy since the 2.0 HDi this early on didn't have a particulate filter, castrol edge 5w30 is a good choice.
    The manual 406 hdi doesn't have a particulate filter
    I have one built in late 2003 first registered in July 2004
    And it is filter free

Fellow Frogger!

Yes, all 2.0 HDi engines in 406's should have no particulate filter. But 2.2 HDi 406's (not sold in Australia) and later model cars with the 2.0 HDi do have particulate filters.

Early 2.0 HDi engines are the exception in not having a particulate filter.

Fellow Frogger!

Mornin DieselLion, further to seasink's concern about the Hawkesbury and Peug's I am originally from the Hawkesbury. From a baby near Kurrajong, through Richmond high School I've wound up a bit north near Coffs. Current count of Peugs on the acres is 3 petrol and 5 diesel. It must be in the blood.!!
    Will be returning for a 50yr reunion in 3 weeks and if you're interested in meeting for a chat send me a PM or email.
    All the best, kelpiebat

Fellow Frogger!

Our 406HDi has 480K on the clock and is running 5l/100km economy. The engine has had a couple of arguments with food(fuel)poisoning recently, but has recovered with careful attention form Peugeotech in Brisbane. An amazing car after such a great distance, and yours is one which should give you a great deal of pleasure.
    DieselLion likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by andrepug View Post
    Take the big plastic engine cover off and give it a good clean. Then the engine will immediately look 50% cleaner. Also get some new metal cover bolts from deeb-176 on eBay.
    Thanks for that, might look at those fasteners down the track - the previous owner has left a few spares of the original in the glovebox so won't be an issue till they blow.
    Present
    '99 406 Coupe Manual
    '02 406 HDi Wagon

'99 406 HDi RIP

'86 505 GTi 3spd auto

Past
    '00 306 XTHDi
    '99 306 XT

'98 406 SV

Thread Information