Japanese autoboxes in French cars
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Japanese autoboxes in French cars

So the 508 has a Japanese gearbox.Can someone explain why the 508 seems to hunt around something terrible especially changing down while the average Japanese auto doesn't (especially Nissans with their (own) Jatco boxes) ? I realise that French car companies have historically never had much of an interest in autos as their population want to actually drive cars but now that they are using Japanese gearboxes things haven't improved much. Is it the ECU for the gearbox that is different (although the 508 apparently uses a Kyocera ie Japanese ECU) or is the frequency of minor changes up and down PSAs version of a CVT for fuel economy ? I would love to know the answer and for PSA to solve the problem because apart from the gearbox I would snap up a second hand 508 wagon. I would love to add one to my manual 2CV and manual 11BL . (In answer to the obvious first question "why not buy a manual" my wife has a one word answer to that).

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

The 508 is a C5 X7 with the suspension altered to conventional struts and coils, and a heap of inside and outside cosmetic changes like a different "face". The AM6 in my C5 is smooth and changes are undetectable. It tries to keep the diesel at around 2000 rpm. and top gear is an overdrive.

The only times you know it's there are:
    1. It engages lower gears when descending hills to keep the speed constant;
    2 It goes to neutral if you stop or idle slowly to a halt. Keep your foot on at a slow corner.

1000+ Posts

Having driven my 508 for a little under 10 months, I am very happy with the auto. I don't find it "hunts" and I like the "downshift" when going down hill (live in Dandenong Ranges so lots of hill driving). Only issue is slight "lag" when starting off from stop.. I would buy the 508, great car.
    Andy

Current:
    Peugeot 508 Allure HDI 2012
    Previous:
    Peugeot 404 1969
    Peugeot 504 1970
    Peugeot 505 1983
    Peugeot 306 1999
    Peugeot 406 SV 2003

Thread Information