3008 - Whats with the ECO mode?
  • Register
  • Help

Default 3008 - Whats with the ECO mode?

Ok I am a bit peeved with this ECO mode. It is designed to prevent draining the batteries whilst the car engines are not running. Great!

However, the system seems to be very over zealous at it! I am barely able to listen to one song before it switches off and goes into ECO mode. What a pain.

Now either I have a flat battery (which my mechanic says I dont) or this system is nuts!

There does not seem to be any way to switch this off.

Advertisement

Any suggestions?

1000+ Posts

It's there because a flat battery on one of these highly computerised cars isn't at all amusing. All sorts of strange behaviour can occur as the computers go insane.

If your's is the same as the version I'm familiar with, after the engine is stopped, it times all the stuff you still have running - lights, wipers, courtesy lights, etc, including the radio, and when they all add up together to 30 minutes max, wham ! It goes Eco. If the battery charge is low it will be a lot less than 30 minutes total.

When the engine is restarted, the total time available will be double the time the engine runs, up to 30 minutes.

So, to listen to the radio, do it in the dark and switch off everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    It's there because a flat battery on one of these highly computerised cars isn't at all amusing. All sorts of strange behaviour can occur as the computers go insane.

If your's is the same as the version I'm familiar with, after the engine is stopped, it times all the stuff you still have running - lights, wipers, courtesy lights, etc, including the radio, and when they all add up together to 30 minutes max, wham ! It goes Eco. If the battery charge is low it will be a lot less than 30 minutes total.

When the engine is restarted, the total time available will be double the time the engine runs, up to 30 minutes.

So, to listen to the radio, do it in the dark and switch off everything else.
    Hmmm. I like to drive to a place and listen to music. Now the car tells me what I can or cannot do. If the system was so critical about the voltage being delivered to the computers there should have been a dedicated battery for it and the starter motor. Let the accessories run on the auxiliary battery! Not seen this on any other car. French Quirkiness again. I will have to learn to live with it.

Might see if I can upgrade to a higher MAH battery.

take it to a dealer, its been a while since ive looked but pretty sure you can switch that off with the diag computer.
    The wrong oil is better than no oil at all.

My coupe has the same scatter brain ECO timer fitted.

I am sure I can only get 10 minutes out of my radio.

Trivet's told me it could not be altered or cancelled. (?).

Though I do agree with seasink, and the car would probably be off the road a week if the battery was to go flat!

P.S.

a) I have been driving cars near 50 years and have not yet flattened a battery by playing the radio for an hour or so.
    b) With all the warning gizmos the coupe is fitted with (such as low water level in windscreen reservoir) one would think that it would
    have a low battery warning. Guess what, it DONT.
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

Fellow Frogger!

Not sure it can be disabled, but the voltage sensing on my 406 is intertwined with the alternator. The battery is in excellent condition but the car is perpetually in economy mode, and also shows the battery symbol when you turn off the engine.

Mechanic says it's a dead regulator (diode) in the alternator, but it's never bothered me so I haven't fixed it.

Thread Information