407 HDi turbo trouble!
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 407 HDi turbo trouble!

Hi to all. This 407 HDi I've got with the so far incurable low idle misfire has now added to its appeal by not delivering much boost to the inlet manifold.
    Perhaps it is 'limp home' mode (our dash display suffers the common all orange after 5-10 mins) ; the onset was pulling well uphill 90kph in 3rd then loss of power and back to 1st for the summit.
    Attempting to drive the slight incline of our driveway reveals that the turbo had failed to boost 2-3 months ago but I'd thought the power loss then was due to the misfire /rough running issue.
    Understanding new age turbos is not my forte, but it seems possible that the vacuum actuated turbo controls could be the trouble, and I'm hoping for information as to which of the 2 relays above the air con compressor does what and for full turbo power should they be applying a vacuum to the other end? At times there is, presumably, exhaust gas emanating from the turbo area of the 407 - have been told this is the usual turbo related leak; any thoughts on this?

Advertisement

In order to assist in sorting the 407 issue I've organised access to a sweet running 307HDi also with the Siemens injectors/ECU and am keen to start swapping bits; but the other week in a Fiat warranty workshop following the unsuccessful testing of a new cam angle sensor my 407 would not start when the original was re-installed. It had to be told to perform via a scan tool and now it worries me that I could wind up with two 2.0HDi engines that won't start and it is 12km to the scan tool. Have read of doing a reboot of vehicle computers, so if an engine of mine isn't happy with a part swap will a reboot cause it to accept its old part and start.?

Thanks, best wishes ; kelpiebat

See this Citroen thread: "C5 power down" it might be a similar issue?
    Citroen C5 II manual '05; C4 Exculsive '07; Citroen CX2200 Pallas '76; CX2400 C-matic Pallas '78

Quote Originally Posted by kelpiebat View Post
    Understanding new age turbos is not my forte, but it seems possible that the vacuum actuated turbo controls could be the trouble, and I'm hoping for information as to which of the 2 relays above the air con compressor does what and for full turbo power should they be applying a vacuum to the other end?
    I believe the 2 actuators you are talking about (under the alternator and above the ac) control the air flaps in the large Y peace just before the intake manifold.
    It is responsible for controlling if the intake charge will be passed through the intercooler or not.
    Its default position (when the is no vacuum applied to ether flap) is to pass air through the intercooler.
    It is possible to find a condition where both flaps are closed, choking the engine, causing it to hunt wildly and become undriveable.

I don't think this is your problem from the description.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Jinandfonic, read through the Citroen lead which focussed on a white 'Y' in the vacuum loom that has already been replaced on mine - 2 PEUG dealers told me of uphill power loss resulting from wee cracks/leaks in them causing loss of turbo boost.
    Thanks gromzx, on the say so of a Pommie thread I've put a wee ball in the line to the air flap from the intercooler to keep it open all the time. With my thoughts being wrong re turbo relays, would it be true that the turbo related solenoids are on the dark side of the engine? and if so is that thin steel tube that runs from near the vacuum pump around the corner and then above the firewall side cam the sole source of vacuum to the turbo operating relays.?
    Any thoughts on the likelihood of vacuum leaks coming and going??

Quote Originally Posted by kelpiebat View Post
    Any thoughts on the likelihood of vacuum leaks coming and going??
    Not that I know anything about your type of car, but I have a map sensor rubber/silicon vac hose form a crack that under certain conditions would open up which indicated to the ECU the engine was running at WOT, making the engine massively over fuel. I could see the over fueling on the 02 gauge but was at a loss to know why.
    Then just as suddenly it would seal again and the car would run fine. It was probably reacting to cornering G's.
    Veiwing the ECU parameters on a computer display revealed it straight away, but until that point it was doing my head in.

Jo

Fellow Frogger!

Mornin Jo and thanks heaps. I haven't found such a leak yet but your experience convinces me of the possibility. Will you please give more details of how you went about viewing the ECU parameters and what gear is needed.?

Hello kelpiebat,
    My car is nothing like yours so not realy relevent.
    It is a NA, a renault and petrol fuelled and has after market engine management so is about as different to your car as could be possible.

But generically speaking diagnostic computers or whatever they may be called can read fault codes, and some can monitor real time data generated from such things as temp sensors.

Thats about as much as I can tell you.
    Maybe Addo will read this thread and offer some help... I believe he has experience with DIY pug diagnostics.

Sorry to not be able to offer any further advice.

Jo

Thread Information