• Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By addo

Thread: 405 S1 indicator / lights stalk

1000+ Posts

Default 405 S1 indicator / lights stalk

Hi,

Sounds like a stupid question, but can someone confirm their LH stalk has a latching type click when it's pulled to activate high beam?

Mine now just smoothly pulls and high beam only comes on when the lights are off. I thought it used to click and then click again high / low / high. My memory isn't the best nowadays.

I've advertised for a new one and Fish has one, but wanted to check the switching is in the stalk and not done in the relay.

Thanks

Advertisement

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

1000+ Posts

Surely someone still has a series 1...?

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

On mine if you rotate the switch one position & pull the stalk towards you the headlights (high beam I think) come on and no click. Let the stalk go & it flicks forward & reverts back to parking lights.
    If you rotate the switch one more position and pull the stalk toward you it will click and go from low to high beam. Pull stalk again & it will click & go back to low beam.
    Track car-Steel Grey 405 Mi16 2.2 litre

405 Track car build thread moved to-
    http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index...ic=143279&st=0

Lap times-
    Sandown 1 27.9
    Phillip Island 1 53.8

Previous Frenchies-
    1988 205Gti
    1998 306 GTi6
    1997 306 N5 sedan
    1996 306 N3 XT hatch
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Avocado
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Trak Yellow
    1975 Renault 5 Guernsey, Channel Islands
    1972 Renault 4 Guernsey, Channel Islands

1000+ Posts

Thanks Jeff, that's what I thought mine used to do. Now there's no click. New stalk needed...

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Edited 15-12-2014.

I've just bent my head around the Series 1 headlight wiring. I'm going to attempt a "Plain English" explanation of what happens in there.

Power to the lighting stalk is via wire labelled "5". It's unfused. When you turn on the sidelights, it also provides feed power to the foglight switches and to the tail lights/number plate light. Sidelights are fused as a pair, taillights are fused each, with the left unit feeding the number plate lights. Sidelights stay powered on through all three switch options.

Turning on the ignition pulls in the dim-dip relay! It's actuation coil is grounded via the high beam filaments in the H4 bulbs. Go figure. There is a diode to prevent backfeeding. When you switch on the low beams, it also passes current through a dropping resistor in the harness before reaching the dim/dip relay and passing on to the sidelights. Unfused. Thus the sidelights are dimmed when the low beam is switched on.

When you switch to high beam, it pulls in the high beam relay (unfused) for the inner H1s, and also powers the bright H4 filaments up, meaning there is no longer a ground for the low beam relay to operate - so they drop out.

Is this loopy or what? No blooming wonder it took so long to figure out.
    Last edited by addo; 15th December 2014 at 11:49 AM.
    kelpiebat likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Pretty wild the lengths they'll go to in automotive engineering to save a few wires and connectors. Thanks for the entertaining explanation

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks very addo. Having spent a few years on regular/ house wiring I never cease to be amazed at some of the ways of auto wiring. Your words will forever promote the idea of looking outside the box!!

Minor correction made; I had misidentified the direction of current flow in the dim-dip relay.

It's still a whacko design.

Thread Information