Drowning Noise - Peugeot 3008 - Tyres?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Drowning Noise - Peugeot 3008 - Tyres?

Default Drowning Noise - Peugeot 3008 - Tyres?

I am getting this irritating noise that is spoiling the fun I am having with this car. The frequency builds with the speed. Having just picked it up from the dealer it is a bit worrying.

Advertisement

The tyres are evenly worn and don't seem to be out of alignment. steering is steady in that it is not pulling to the right or left. Acceleration is great steering is also great - just this noise. Dealer says it could be the tyres but he is not sure.

1000+ Posts

Some tyres are noisy, as you would know if you have ever driven cross-ply bar treads, to take the extreme. What type of tyres are they?

Tyres would be obvious to a rear seat passenger.

I have the same problem with my 4007 ----- I thought it was the Cooper tyres (UGH!!!) they were on it when I bought it. However having had a look at the lack of sound deadening material in the vehicle, mainly Styrofoam and veeeery thin carpet I would suggest that the 3008 would be set up similarly and that set up is contributing to the noise.

cant wait to get rid of the coopers, they are almost dangerous .
    Meggsy
    Current - 4007HDi
    Had - 407 HDI 406 SV 404, 504, 505 GR and STI. 405 GR ( carbie version) STI, MI16
    And an Austin 1800
    Learnt to drive in 203 Convertible and a 403 SW

The way to isolate tyre noise…drive on grass.

jo

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    The way to isolate tyre noise…drive on grass.

jo
    Good idea but hard to get a decent run on grass for any length or speed.

Took the car today for a drive down to Penrith. I love the steering on the 3008. It is heavy and feels just right for the size of the car. There is adequate feedback and not overpowered like you have on some Toyotas. Having only driven Sedans and Hatches before the higher driving position does take some time to get used to. It is obviously not so nimble as a hatch. It does give you a sense of empowerment but at the same time a sense of responsibility. The lane changing on the M4 was so much easier. However, I would not use it to weave myself through slow traffic. The higher inertia means you need slightly more time to maneuver. The small 1.6 delivers more than adequate power and the automatic gear shifting smooth.

Back to the tyre noise. I got the tyres filled to 34 psi. The M4 from Parramatta going west to Penrith is rough for about 3-4 km and the tyre noise was quite noticeable. Once on the smoother sections it was barely noticeable. I think I do need to get the tyres checked and possibly replaced.

Overall I am really enjoying the experience. I will go over the interior in my next review.

1000+ Posts

If it goes away on the smooth M4 pavement it probably is tyre noise, caused by deformation and spring back of the tread. It will be loudest on 2 coat sealed roads with their rough screenings on the surface, but you won't find that construction on a motorway.

It is rubber material and tread pattern dependent. It tends to be worse with off-road tyres, hence my earlier comment about bar treads. What tyres are fitted? Some cars take steps to lessen resonance, eg the felt wheel arch liners on Citroen C5s and various motorway cruisers.

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    If it goes away on the smooth M4 pavement it probably is tyre noise, caused by deformation and spring back of the tread. It will be loudest on 2 coat sealed roads with their rough screenings on the surface, but you won't find that construction on a motorway.

It is rubber material and tread pattern dependent. It tends to be worse with off-road tyres, hence my earlier comment about bar treads. What tyres are fitted? Some cars take steps to lessen resonance, eg the felt wheel arch liners on Citroen C5s and various motorway cruisers.
    Actually there are 2 distinct noises. One as you say on the rough stretches of M4, The other one is a drone noise that increases in frequency as you go faster and then merges with the road noise at higher speeds. Kind of the sound helicopter blades make.

Fellow Frogger!

My 206 2004 is also noisy on the road , you would swear it was the front wheel bearings but it goes away on the smoothest roads .
    Country roads around here are rough surfaced , gravel size is larger when they lay the bitumen.
    I think the car has Michelin's .
    Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Berridale View Post
    My 206 2004 is also noisy on the road , you would swear it was the front wheel bearings but it goes away on the smoothest roads .
    Country roads around here are rough surfaced , gravel size is larger when they lay the bitumen.
    I think the car has Michelin's .
    Any ideas?
    Turn the radio ON?
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

Got the tyres checked at Tempe tyres and they are not just worn but also for one of them the wall is "wavy" which I could feel across the surface.

Now the problem:

I do not have the tool to replace the special "lock nut". Asked dealer and they said it costs $200 and takes 2 weeks to get it shipped???

I am beginning to feel the frustration of owning a Peugeot...

That's tread separation. Really crap tires (re-treads?), or someone jumped a kerb with it or run too low tire pressures for a while. Any dings on the rims?

Change them immediately and check wheels for trueness.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

1000+ Posts

The anti-theft wheel bolts are a perpetual problem for the car makes that use them to stop alloy wheel theft. Most of us throw them away at purchase and put on standard fittings, but that's no help for you now. They are coded to the VIN and a dealer can get a tool, expensively, as you found.

If you search the forum you'll see some inventive ways of forcing/smashing them off. You'll need to have a standard replacement on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    That's tread separation. Really crap tires (re-treads?), or someone jumped a kerb with it or run too low tire pressures for a while. Any dings on the rims?

Change them immediately and check wheels for trueness.
    No cheap ones here. All Pirelli original tyres.

The anti-theft wheel bolts are a perpetual problem for the car makes that use them to stop alloy wheel theft. Most of us throw them away at purchase and put on standard fittings, but that's no help for you now. They are coded to the VIN and a dealer can get a tool, expensively, as you found.

If you search the forum you'll see some inventive ways of forcing/smashing them off. You'll need to have a standard replacement on hand.
    Wow are you suggesting that each car has a different tool? Checked the boot and every other place in the car including the elusive under foot passenger storage.

Not sure about NSW, but did you get any details for the previous owner at all? For $200, may be worth trying to contact them. In Vic, LMCT's are supposed to show name and address of previous owner on the sale particulars of a car.

Locking wheel nuts unique to each car so crooks can't get one and use it on every car. Ahhh the French, they think of everything. Except the poor owner.

Previous owners name not in the hand book?
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

Its all good now. Dealer will replace the tyres for me.
    BIGRR likes this.

This is a long shot as it sounds like the tyres are the problem, however, I had an irritating noise develop on my 308 which increased in volume as I went quicker. I was thinking tyres or a bearing, ended up being the bit of plastic that hangs around the bottom of the front bumber and usually scrapes on high driveways etc, it had come loose but only in spots and was vibrating with the increase in speed. I would not have picked it because it wasn't as if it was hanging off or even down but when I reattached it in the spots it was out of its brackets the noise completely disappeared.

Fellow Frogger!

Just gone out to the car, notice that it has brand new Hankook tyres on the front.
    Tread is very deep, deeper than say a new Michelin.
    No need to say these tyres are crap.. but are they notoriously noisy?
    Any views on cheaper tyres and road noise?

Side walls won't survive the dirt roads around here, i think they are soft .

Some cars take steps to lessen resonance, eg the felt wheel arch liners on Citroen C5s and various motorway cruisers.
    The main effort is done by the tyre makers in that they have irregular tread patterns on the tyre edges.

Similar effect is applied to differentials. They always have weird ratios which means two meshing teeth wont re engage on a regular basis.

Decca
    Present --2016 2008 Outdoor / 2014 RAV4 Diesel (My utilitarian beast)

Past -- 19?? 403 / 1974 504GL / 1972 R12TL / 1995 405SRi / 1997 406ST / 1998 306XT / 2004 406HD1 / 2008 308XSE HDi / 2008 307XSE

Just gone out to the car, notice that it has brand new Hankook tyres on the front.
    Tread is very deep, deeper than say a new Michelin.
    No need to say these tyres are crap.. but are they notoriously noisy?

Side walls won't survive the dirt roads around here, i think they are soft .
    Stay with them for a while.

We have just taken delivery of a new car with Conti Contact Sport .

The were quite noisy to start with. After about 2300 km they seem to be much quieter.

Obviously the road surface still affects the level and pitch of the noise, but the noise seems less intrusive.

Kumhos are rumoured to be good tyres - value for money.

Just to keep everyone updated on the progress of this. Looks like there is no tyre place in Sydney that can remove the anti-theft lock nut. And if they cannot remove it - what chance do I have? The replacement tool has been ordered from France and is likely to take 2 more weeks.

I think anyone reading this my advise is:

- If you are buying a new Peugeot get the dealer to replace this with an ordinary nut/ make sure the tool is not removed from the car at any time.

- If you are buying a second hand car do check to see if there is a tool to remove the special nut else get the dealer to remove it for you.

Peugeot has engineered a perfect anti-theft tool. Well done!

1000+ Posts

It's not impossible, merely a [email protected]#$% bugger. For each of the several Cits and Pugs in my family, the "key" remained with the dealer. or was discarded for a plain bolt on the very day of purchase.

You'll see this view repeated over and over in this forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information