Just bought this Immaculate GTi180
  • Register
  • Help

Icon10 Just bought this Immaculate GTi180

Hi all,

Advertisement

A few weeks ago I bought my second car and first Peugeot. French cars have always been in the family so I was proud to bring home this absolute gem of a 206. Was owned by a mechanic for most of its life and has a full service history and apart from slight wear on the steering wheel and shift knob it is virtually showroom condition! I have only one small query about these cars, when I am idling and the A/C compressor is switched on the car does seem to shake a bit and I am unsure of the exact cause although I am thinking engine mounts?

Name:  20140907_174203.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  96.9 KB
    Name:  20140907_174135.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  98.8 KB
    Name:  20140907_173940.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  95.4 KB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just bought this Immaculate GTi180-20140907_174040.jpg  

1000+ Posts

you dont say how many ks, I would have thought that engine mounts might start to go after, say, 150,000 ks. Might pay to ask the original owner. It might even be a feature from the time he bought it
    1998 Peugeot 406 D8SV Manual
    1999 Peugeot 406 D8ST Auto
    2002 Peugeot 406 D9SV Manual
    1994 Peuegot 306 N3 Cabriolet Manual
    1994 Peugeot 306 XR N3 Hatch
    1995 Peugeot 505 GTI executive
    1976 Peugeot 504 Sedan - Now sold

Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

Fellow Frogger!

Mine does that. The engine mounts do tend to fail. I don't know if there is a link, but both happen.

Hi, it just rolled over to 108000k's today. The previous owner didn't have any of the receipts to give me but I do know it has had it's major (timing belt/water pump) service. I suspect it has seen a bit of track use since it has a fire extinguisher mounted in it and has already been through a clutch before 100,000kms.

Fellow Frogger!

I've got the same vibrating problem in my 206 GTi, but it happens whenever the revs are over 1500, regardless of gear/clutch/AC position. I figured it wasn't engine mounts since my gear stick doesn't move when I accelerate/engine brake (that's what the Pulsar I learnt to drive in did with its dead engine mounts).
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Peugeot 405 SRDT
    - Sports tractor, running Berlingo rear and GTi180 front suspension.
    Citroen C5 2.0 A - Magic carpet to float around on

Quote Originally Posted by Blufires View Post
    I've got the same vibrating problem in my 206 GTi, but it happens whenever the revs are over 1500, regardless of gear/clutch/AC position. I figured it wasn't engine mounts since my gear stick doesn't move when I accelerate/engine brake (that's what the Pulsar I learnt to drive in did with its dead engine mounts).
    That's quite odd indeed, have you asked someone who knows Peugeots? With mine its only at idle and the steering wheel begins to vibrate a bit but as soon as the car is over idle speed you can't really tell it's there. Does anyone know good engine mounts to use in these?

superpug,

Welcome to

Congrats on the new car.

The top mount can fail quite early.

It certainly did on mine, but I noticed a "tink" noise, not a vibration. It's fluid-filled, nothing different to say a 205-era mount and reasonably easy to change.

The GTi180 motor is a little rough at idle - makes a choofing noise but is quite normal in my experience.

When starting from cold, the vibration could be from a "weakish" battery resulting in poor fuel rail pressure. A weak battery generally has no adverse effect on the starter.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Fellow Frogger!

Check the harmonic balancer if it has one. Would also check balance of AC radiator fan.

Hey guys thanks for the advice. I had a good poke around there today and discovered hydraulic fluid leaking out of the top RH engine mount (just as SLC206 said). Luckily not a difficult job if you're like me and know someone with decent air tools lol. I'm looking at just purchasing one from the SCA parts guide. Mackay do one for $27 - will this be up to the job or should I opt for one of the more expensive brands like Kelpro?

Fellow Frogger!

If you want to spend a bit more, Brett on here sells the vibra-technics road and race engine mounts. Stronger, but a bit noisier too.

Thread Information