Brighter globes for 306
  • Register
  • Help

Default Brighter globes for 306

Can anyone recommend some brighter globes for a 306 S16 low beam. The low beam is pretty weak and I am wanting to have a bit more illumination without heat or increase in power drain. I believe the globes incorporate both high and low beam filaments.

Advertisement
    2007 VW Jetta 2.0 TDi 6sp manual

2001 VW Bora 4-Motion - flooded away
    1998 Peugeot 406 SV manual - Gone to Hail Heaven
    1994 Silver S16 - Gone
    1983 505 Sti - Gone to good home

1000+ Posts

I've just put Phillips BlueVision in my 306 ... I shall wait and report back tonight.
    They are basically an improved version of Philips Premium 30% +
    I had Philips Premium 30% + in my N3 306XR and they were great.

I bought them from Powerbulbs.com - delivery in LESS than a week, and with the exchange rate the way it is it was cheaper than anything I found in Australia.

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by DeKa
    I've just put Phillips BlueVision in my 306 ... I shall wait and report back tonight.
    They are basically an improved version of Philips Premium 30% +
    I had Philips Premium 30% + in my N3 306XR and they were great.

I bought them from Powerbulbs.com - delivery in LESS than a week, and with the exchange rate the way it is it was cheaper than anything I found in Australia.

Derek
    Derek

Will wait eagerly for your evaluation results. Where can you get the Premium 30% locally? I thought the Bluevision globes would be available locally as well

1994 Silver S16 - Gone

Just checked out powerbulbs.com. They have a lot of bulbs-globes.
    Seems like the Bluevision is a pretty good bulb from the specs.How did you find the P30%? From what I gather the low beam globes in the 306 is a H7 fitting. What fitting are the high beam globes?

1994 Silver S16 - Gone

1000+ Posts

Atan,

They are available locally - but were cheaper from the UK. That, and I didn't have to go anywhere to get them I found the Philips Premium (which I bought locally) excellent in my N3 series 306.

There are threads on the forum about what bulbs you need (search for 306 and headlight or something like that).

Derek.

1000+ Posts

BlueVision = Fantastic! SO bright.
    They aren't blue at all... The actual globes themselves are blue, but the light is white as white as white. Wonderful.

Powerbulbs.com = bloody brilliant
    Highly recommend them - thanks for the good service if you good people happen to find this post once Google picks it up

Derek

Would you recommend the Premium Plus? Why are Philips better than Osram?

Edit: Just noticed Auto Express gave their choice award to the Osram over the Premium Plus...

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    Philips VisionPlus and BlueVision are basically the same (+30%) bulbs. The BlueVision is the closest to natural sunlight of all the Philips range. VisionPlus (never used them myself) are +50% bulbs (50% brighter than standard Philips bulbs). They're expensive though...

I had Philips Premium in my old 306 as I said - they were good. No idea why Philips are better than Osram. I'm happy with them though
    Derek.

Actually the blues are more expensive than the PremiumPlus which puts out more light...

BlueVision = Fantastic! SO bright.
    They aren't blue at all... The actual globes themselves are blue, but the light is white as white as white. Wonderful.

Highly recommend them - thanks for the good service if you good people happen to find this post once Google picks it up

Derek
    Glad you liked them...So it is not too glary like fluorescent (thats why I prefer yellow light for reading etc) . Is the premium Vision the same but less blue? I've got to get some of them too! Autobarn has them both in stock. Now in my S16 book it says H1 but all the sites tell me that the low beam fitting is a H7...can anyone confirm which is the correct fitting for both low and hibeam globes?

1994 Silver S16 - Gone

Tadpole

Edit: Just noticed Auto Express gave their choice award to the Osram over the Premium Plus...
    I recently installed the Osram H7 in my car. Not happy with them. The pack advertised it as 'white-beam', it's definitely 'whiter' rather than 'yellow' but nowhere as close to 'white as white as white'!

It doesn't have much of a blue thinge to the blub at all, so I'm not sure how the 'whiter' light comes about.

If anyone is interested in a brighter blub that's whiter but not 'white as white as white' (but definitely brighter), I'll sell mine for $30 (3 days old, worth $39.95) per pair (I've got 2 pairs of H7s for the main and high beam). Will be getting the Philips this weekend. Can anyone recommend a store around Sydney where I can pick them up from? Re selling my Osram, feel free to email me directly. If I sell both pairs, I'll get 2 sets of Philips, otherwise, will just get the Philips for my main beams and leave the Osram on for the highbeam (seldom used).

Cheers,
    Mark Tan

Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Philips VisionPlus and BlueVision are basically the same (+30%) bulbs. The BlueVision is the closest to natural sunlight of all the Philips range. VisionPlus (never used them myself) are +50% bulbs (50% brighter than standard Philips bulbs). They're expensive though...
    Vision Plus are actually cheaper than the Blue Vision.

I'd just buy Vision Plus, it's not even an extra $5 to have them. You're going from a +30% globe to a +50% globe.

They work very well too. Strangely though, the Vision Plus had the same part number as the original Philips gloves in our Volvo. We've got a pair in our main beams.

Peugeot actually recommend that you change your globes every few years. However, globes seem to be a thing we don't replace until they're dead.

I suspect Osram have updated their globes - previously the Vision Plus was their pick.

Some Aussiefroggers have Narva (German) +50% globes and seem to be quite happy with them. They're about half the price of the Philips ones.

Powerbulbs.com are a great bunch. When you order, tell them you're from Australia and they'll take 17.5% off the price (VAT). The globes aren't expensive considering they do include freight.

Excellent service - I remember sending an email to them and getting a reply minutes later. Plus the globes arrive in only a matter of days. They also throw in a pair of Blue Vision 5W globes.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

VIP Sponsor

Powerbulbs state that the 100 watt rallye bulbs are the best, all of these new developments not withstanding. These are available for as little $5 (not philips, admittedly) I would like to see a comparison between these hi tech bulbs and the 100 watt cheapies.

Graham Wallis

1000+ Posts

Graeme,

I think the trouble with the 100 watters is that they melt the polycarbonate lenses of the N5 306.

Pugrambo might be able to elaborate - he's mentioned something about it before.

I've just spoken to dad to check up on this - we put 100 watt bulbs in our Cit XM (series 1 XM's had shocking headlights, even though they were designed to be the *best* thing) and found them worse than Philips Premium (+30%) so went back to the Philips Premium in that car after a short period of time. The glass headlights in the XM got SO hot with the 100 watt bulbs he said.

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    Powerbulbs state that the 100 watt rallye bulbs are the best, all of these new developments not withstanding. These are available for as little $5 (not philips, admittedly) I would like to see a comparison between these hi tech bulbs and the 100 watt cheapies.

Graham Wallis
    The major difference might be the expected life. But then a cheapie could out last an expensive bulb, though I believe the law of averages would have a more expensive one winning.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by kermit
    The major difference might be the expected life. But then a cheapie could out last an expensive bulb, though I believe the law of averages would have a more expensive one winning.
    I find these cheap bulbs last for many years in H4 form, even in the 403 which has 15 volts. No problems with 403/4 and 504 reflectors but be aware that if you want to use them in 505s you will need to fit a relay, otherwise you will burn out the fuse panel and get inferior light to the standard bulbs due to the voltage drop,
    Don't forget that every volt more you have will give you close to double the light output. Get a voltmeter and check things out before you start buying new bulbs.

Graham Wallis

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS

Graham Wallis
    Where can I get the Philips blue bulbs in Sydney? Or are they only available on Powerbulbs.

-Mark

Deka,

Just wondering if you could give me an idea of the price you paid for the phillips globes you put in?

Cheers

Iain
    '99 306 XSi Black Metallic

1000+ Posts

Cost me $70 from the UK. I've seen them "on special" here for $74
    Derek.

Thanks Derek.

I think i might try and get some.
    '99 306 XSi Black Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Atan
    Now in my S16 book it says H1 but all the sites tell me that the low beam fitting is a H7...can anyone confirm which is the correct fitting for both low and hibeam globes?
    S16s should be the N3 chassis, therefore, should be the H1 globes for main. My sister's car is a 94 306 she has H1s in them.

H7s are the N5 306s that is what I have in mine hi and low beam

Cheers
    Billy
    Stock '87 205 GTi
    Stock '98 306 GTi-6

-Memories are good only if you don't have to deal with the past.-

Thread Information