• Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Captain Slow

Thread: Recently acquired 205 GTi. Seeking replacement diff assembly

Fellow Frogger!

Default Recently acquired 205 GTi. Seeking replacement diff assembly

Hello everyone

Last week I picked up a cheap 205 GTi that was advertised here some time ago. I was told it ran but around 6 months ago it started having gearbox issues. The seller said it might be engine mounts and that it was difficult to select gears before it stopped driving. I've not had one of these before so I gave him the benefit of the doubt, but it didn't sound right to me as all gears appeared to select easily, with the car off at least.

The seller had lost the key so I had to remove the steering column to get the car on to a trailer. After running around to some useless locksmiths and getting the run around from several Peugeot dealers trying to get a new key made, I ended up getting a 405 key, barrel, and door locks from a wrecker. The barrels looked identical....... until I went to fit the new one which was too long lol. No problem, made one correct one out of the two and now works perfectly. Only thing i've yet to sort out is the boot lock but it's a low priority at the moment. I charged the battery and the car fired right up, runs and sounds good. I tried engaging first and eased the clutch out but there was only the slightest urge of wanting to move, and a gear chatter kind of noise. I tried all gears with the same result.

So out comes the gearbox to check things like the clutch and the diff. In retrospect I probably didn't need to jump into pulling it out at this stage but doesn't matter it's done now and I did learn a lot in the process. It was a bit of a pain though. I'm sure doing it again would be easier but damn there is alot of hoses on these things. And i've worked on alot of different cars before, but i've never worked on a car that used so many different sized bolts!
    Anyway, gearbox out, clutch looked ok, drive shafts looked ok, I spun the input shaft whilst in gear and things seemed to operate as they should.

I then pulled the diff/crown wheel cover off and discovered the problem immediately as you can see below.
    The first indication something might be bad was actually when I drained the gearbox oil. It looked like it had gold dust in it so that's obviously not a good sign.

Advertisement

So long story short, i'm chasing a good used diff and crown wheel assembly. It's a 90 model, and it says 16x63 on the crown wheel. I'll put up a wanted ad but if anyone has one to sell please get in touch, thank you.

The paint is pretty rough but the body is quite straight. It was absolutely filthy inside. The windows had been left down for months and it was parked outside under a tree so the carpets were wet and it was full of leaves.
    Considering all this it's come up quite well. Some broken dash parts, and needs new seat skins, but useable as is for now.

I've wanted one of these for some time now, I know it's usually false economy starting with something so rough, but I do all my own repairs and i'm used to fixxer uppers. Plus it was cheap.
    I have not driven one of these before but already i'm considering a Mi16 transplant haha. I will see what it's like as is first though otherwise there is no basis for comparison. I'm pissed off due to unfortunate timing though, a local wrecker has had a BX 16 valve in the yard for over a year with only 40,000 kays on it. I just found out last weekend that it was recently crushed with the motor and lots of other useful parts still in it. Such a shame.

I've been doing a lot of reading about brake upgrades and engine conversions, it's a lot to take in and i'm sure i'll need to clarify a few things if/when the time comes, but this forum has been a great resource and i'm very grateful to everyone that takes the time to put up information and answer questions, so thank you.

Regards
    Ben

Recently acquired 205 GTi. Seeking replacement diff assembly-20140910_163535.jpgRecently acquired 205 GTi. Seeking replacement diff assembly-20140910_163544.jpgRecently acquired 205 GTi. Seeking replacement diff assembly-20140910_163551.jpgRecently acquired 205 GTi. Seeking replacement diff assembly-20140910_163600.jpgRecently acquired 205 GTi. Seeking replacement diff assembly-20140910_163604.jpgRecently acquired 205 GTi. Seeking replacement diff assembly-20140915_175657.jpgRecently acquired 205 GTi. Seeking replacement diff assembly-20140915_175705.jpgRecently acquired 205 GTi. Seeking replacement diff assembly-20140915_175724.jpgRecently acquired 205 GTi. Seeking replacement diff assembly-20140915_175906.jpg
    lozenge likes this.

VIP Sponsor

I have a diff assembly.
    As you say though it looks like you need the crown wheel, much easier to simply replace the gearbox.
    Looks like a BE3, reverse will be to the right and under 5th?
    I do have a gearbox suitable for your car, would want $300.
    I could let you have a BE1 for $150 but you would need to fit the reverse lock out cable.
    I am in Melbourne.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
    Hello everyone

Last week I picked up a cheap 205 GTi that was advertised here some time ago. I was told it ran but around 6 months ago it started having gearbox issues. The seller said it might be engine mounts and that it was difficult to select gears before it stopped driving. I've not had one of these before so I gave him the benefit of the doubt, but it didn't sound right to me as all gears appeared to select easily, with the car off at least.

The seller had lost the key so I had to remove the steering column to get the car on to a trailer. After running around to some useless locksmiths and getting the run around from several Peugeot dealers trying to get a new key made, I ended up getting a 405 key, barrel, and door locks from a wrecker. The barrels looked identical....... until I went to fit the new one which was too long lol. No problem, made one correct one out of the two and now works perfectly. Only thing i've yet to sort out is the boot lock but it's a low priority at the moment. I charged the battery and the car fired right up, runs and sounds good. I tried engaging first and eased the clutch out but there was only the slightest urge of wanting to move, and a gear chatter kind of noise. I tried all gears with the same result.

So out comes the gearbox to check things like the clutch and the diff. In retrospect I probably didn't need to jump into pulling it out at this stage but doesn't matter it's done now and I did learn a lot in the process. It was a bit of a pain though. I'm sure doing it again would be easier but damn there is alot of hoses on these things. And i've worked on alot of different cars before, but i've never worked on a car that used so many different sized bolts!
    Anyway, gearbox out, clutch looked ok, drive shafts looked ok, I spun the input shaft whilst in gear and things seemed to operate as they should.

I then pulled the diff/crown wheel cover off and discovered the problem immediately as you can see below.
    The first indication something might be bad was actually when I drained the gearbox oil. It looked like it had gold dust in it so that's obviously not a good sign.

So long story short, i'm chasing a good used diff and crown wheel assembly. It's a 90 model, and it says 16x63 on the crown wheel. I'll put up a wanted ad but if anyone has one to sell please get in touch, thank you.

The paint is pretty rough but the body is quite straight. It was absolutely filthy inside. The windows had been left down for months and it was parked outside under a tree so the carpets were wet and it was full of leaves.
    Considering all this it's come up quite well. Some broken dash parts, and needs new seat skins, but useable as is for now.

I've wanted one of these for some time now, I know it's usually false economy starting with something so rough, but I do all my own repairs and i'm used to fixxer uppers. Plus it was cheap.
    I have not driven one of these before but already i'm considering a Mi16 transplant haha. I will see what it's like as is first though otherwise there is no basis for comparison. I'm pissed off due to unfortunate timing though, a local wrecker has had a BX 16 valve in the yard for over a year with only 40,000 kays on it. I just found out last weekend that it was recently crushed with the motor and lots of other useful parts still in it. Such a shame.

I've been doing a lot of reading about brake upgrades and engine conversions, it's a lot to take in and i'm sure i'll need to clarify a few things if/when the time comes, but this forum has been a great resource and i'm very grateful to everyone that takes the time to put up information and answer questions, so thank you.

Regards
    Ben

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140910_163535.jpg 
Views:	427 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	60863Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140910_163544.jpg 
Views:	412 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	60864Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140910_163551.jpg 
Views:	402 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	60865Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140910_163600.jpg 
Views:	435 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	60866Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140910_163604.jpg 
Views:	411 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	60867Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140915_175657.jpg 
Views:	432 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	60868Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140915_175705.jpg 
Views:	434 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	60869Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140915_175724.jpg 
Views:	424 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	60870Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140915_175906.jpg 
Views:	430 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	60871

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Graham,

Yes it's a BE3 box. Can I ask why you say it's easier to replace the whole box?
    I could very well be missing something but it looks like all I might need to do is pull out the whole diff/crown wheel assembly and drop another one in.
    Bearing in mind I have not in fact pulled it out yet and inspected the pinion, that and it would probably be a good idea to pull the rest of the box apart and clean out and metal chunks/particles that might be present..... So after thinking about all that, your probably right that replacing the whole thing is easier lol

Ben

Not only that, but you need to change the final drive to match your "new" crownwheel.

Interesting pictures. Failure of the diff is a common problem on these cars, usually so catastrophic, you can't piece together the tale afterwards. Your pictures have some interesting hints of what might have happened before some of the chunks broken off the diff crown went through the cluster.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Fellow Frogger!

There is quite a few marks/dints on the underside of the diff cover too. I pulled out the diff assembly today and the pinion seems to be ok, but there are more marks in the case near the pinion.

So if my pinion wheel is ok, do I need to change it? Are crown wheels and pinions essentially a matched pair?

Ben

Fellow Frogger!

I got the parts I needed, many thanks to those who offered their assistance.

Ben

Thread Information